4870 artifacting / no fan control

eloj

2[H]4U
My Gigabyte ATI 4870 was showing pixel artifacts (intermittent flashing of green, magenta) during boot today, which I guess is either due to damaged memory or the cooling. I hear the fan boost for a second when booting (as is usual) but when I get into Windows I can't get the fan to react to any changes in fan speed. Running 10.1 drivers.

Ringing any bells?

I guess I should remove it, clean out the fan and re-seat it....

need to turn on Overdrive to enable manually changing fan speeds in CCC

artifacts during boot is still a very bad sign

had this with my HIS 4870 512 a few times, not too bad. bought a can of duster gas, cleaned it out upped the fan from 30-40% and it was just fine. alot of evil dust bunnies inside.

remember kids, only YOU can prevent overheating computers with regular maintanance.

I took it out, almost looked prestine with hardly any dust at all (as did the MB -- bit surprising given the huge hole on top of the P180). Vacuumed it off (yes, really), put it back and now I just came off a 4h Mass Effect session without problems. Even CCC is working as I'd expect it. Not sure what to think. Still think it must have been something with the fan. It could be my imagination, but I think when I had the problem the fan-run during POST was much shorter than it is now when it's working.

I hope this card will hang in there a few more months at least, don't feel like shelling out a lot of money for a 5770 which would just be a step to the side.

Back