4870 1GB comparisons, What is the best?

Hello,

After reading Tom's Hardware review of the 4870 512mb maker comparison it seems like the only difference is operating temp.
Since I'm going to be using a chilled water system this will be a bit of a moot issue.

Does anyone have some input on the cheapest average price vs quality regarding various 4870 1GB cards?

Thanks for your time,
-Joe

I don't know about that but there is this MSI one from ZipZoomFly for $159 after rebate:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10010111

However, it may not really be right for you because no one quite knows if it's even using the reference cooler or a custom one. ZZF's site shows the reference cooler, but NewEgg shows the MSI one as having a custom design, and that may have an effect on your water cooling plans.

Ok obviously I constructed the question incorrectly.

When disregarding the stock heatsinks/fans and using a waterblock, what is the best quality 4870 1gb?
I know that some makers will skimp out on capacitor quality and other construction techniques to save money, so does anyone know which one is the highest quality and why?

I know the MSI cards are getting high praise for their quality.
Unfortunately I can't say anything else about it, since I don't know what the difference is.

Otherwise I'd go for the Visiontek.

msi is terrible with rebate and other support. (RMA too)

Asus, HIS, and sapphire are my preferred choices. Don't get anything with a stock cooler though.

msi is terrible with rebate and other support. (RMA too)

Asus, HIS, and sapphire are my preferred choices. Don't get anything with a stock cooler though.

Why not get something with a stock cooler if I'm just gonna remove it permanently anyway? Does it have to do with the back plate or something?

The majority come off the same contracted factory in China, so assembly quality isn't going to vary much. They may be modified one way or the other per the distributor's design, but that's about it. If you are going to strip off the heatsink/fan for water cooling and many are under $200 these days (after rebate) I wouldn't sweat "which is better".

1. Pay more for a non-reference cooling solution (which you won't need) and better warranty/support
2. Go for cheaper with poorer warranty/support

Just weigh what are greater issues for you.

Back