4850CF to replace my 8800GTS G92 ?

arcsum68

Limp Gawd
Thinking about picking up a pair of 4850's, benchmarks show it as being comparable to a 5850, but about $100 less.

How much more power would this consume, cant find an exact benchmark?

Seems like it would be a worthy upgrade for me, BC2 really lags if I am near a mortor strike.

Should I even be concerned about dx11 at this point?

I will probably play BC2 for awhile.

Thanks!

If I were you I would save my money and buy a 5850. Theres no point in buying older tech unless you have to. On top of that you would be getting DX11 support and Eyefinity support, the 5850 will run cooler too.

Pretty much what I'm saying is , don't settle for second best, unless you absolutely have to. Also I don't know what benchmarks your looking at but the 5850 will stomp 2 4850's in higher resolutions, especially if your going to be playing BC2 , the 5850 is just going to be able to do things that the 4850's aren't capable of.

Last edited:
4850's are on sale 70 dollars today...two 4850's are the same price as a single 5770. Usually I'd say get newer tech but thats just way to much of a deal. He wouldn't need an upgrade for a long time

Always go with newer tech. Sounds like a good deal though. But I'd still go with the 5850.

Exactly my dilemma drew, under $200 shipped for the pair and I am close to $100 less than getting a 5850. I am torn on this situation and cannot currently afford a 5850.

I barely missed that 5850 deal getting my funds together, and that was stretching it.

I'd wait for a 5850 deal and/or save up more.

I fully agree with Krenum.

boooo

Saving wont happen, its my slush fund. I actually have more, but its in stupid visa gift cards that I cannot seem to do anything with or convert to usable online spending money.

Use Visa gift cards to buy Amazon or newegg cards before you buy your card.

no way on the 4850 Xfire. just 512 MB of vRAM. it DOES make a difference. go with a 5850 or 5830. that is all. thank you. :D

Still a pain, and I dont know where the deal is going to be, so I would have to pick one and then hope they have the deal.

Plus there are limitations to using them for online purchases, for example, Newegg only allows 1 form of payment unless you use a visa and Newegg gifts cards. Amazon is more restrictive.

Its been a PITA, I thought I wouldnt care about these things, but checks or even a paypal deposit would be better.

Plus with the newegg gift cards, you pay them and then they mail them in a couple of days. I am almost going to just do that and have them ready for an egg deal.

Don't know if it's already been solved; but save your money and go for a single 5850.

Yeah, its a crossfire board.

I didnt bite on the 4series, gonna just wait for a 5850 deal to come along, hopefully something starts happening soon.

Back