4850 no sound through HDMI with HP W2207h

brons2

Limp Gawd
Hi, I am trying to use the integrated sound in my monitor but not having much luck. Specs are as in title, it's a Sapphire 4850 btw. I am using a DVI to HDMI converter on the back of the card, which I then plug my HDMI cable into that runs to the W2207h. I have the latest Catalyst drivers from the AMD website. AMD HDMI Output is shown on the list of Playback devices, but it just shows as not plugged in.

Do I need an AMD/ATI specific DVI to HDMI converter to make this work? Or should I buy a DVI to HDMI cable?

Kinda confused here as to how to troubleshoot this, I'm more used to troubleshooting networks and servers.

Running Vista 32 bit, SP1.

Your problem is the DVI to HDMI convertor. Sound is no longer carried if it's going through that converter. I am almost positive, have had this happen in the past.

So I am SOL then since my monitor doesn't have a DVI input, only HDMI and VGA?

I'll see what I can find on Google.

You need DVI to HDMI dongle ATI/AMD part#6140063500G to make it work, apparently.

I just bought one on eBay for $7.32 + sales tax + shipping, ($10.03 total) we'll see what happens.

Its just the adapter. I had to get one for my 4850 when I moved it to my HTPC to get audio over HDMI.

Yes, the part #6140063500G I mentioned above worked perfectly. Now I have sound through my monitor, although admittedly it kind of sounds like crap. But it's better than nothing.

Back