480 SLI or 580 SLI?

Aus10

[H]ard|Gawd
Currently i have a 480 oced and its underwater but i have really been considering going to a 580 on air and then putting it on water later. I looked on Evga on the B stock thing. What is that btw? Like used referbs? Anyways you can get one for about 360 or 380 which i like and i want to either sli the 580s or the 480s so i didnt know if it would be worth it or not? I game at 1920x1080 and i want to do surround sooner or later. I play Crysis a lot and metro and BFBC2...looking forward to doing BF3 :)
I also am getting some Cs5 software or elements depends on what my step dad can find at a good price.. Anyways i am looking for more software stuff to do too plus i game alot and i want better fps in Crysis honestly... I hate the dips im getting... I thought about Tri SLIing them too but im not sure about that...

Anyways so watcha guys think?

Thank you very much

The B-Stock is a refurb taken in from EVGA coming from trade ups, returns, and other RMAs. The 580 offers higher performance, but was highly regarded in the heat and power reduction. Seeing as you have water cooling with a 480 already I would stick with another 480. I doubt you will notice much a difference between those two configs at your resolution. Tri SLI is over kill for your resolution as well.

The B-Stock is a refurb taken in from EVGA coming from returns and other RMAs. The 580 offers higher performance, but was highly regarded in the heat and power reduction. Seeing as you have water cooling with a 480 already I would stick with another 480. I doubt you will notice much a difference between those two configs at your resolution. Tri SLI is over kill for your resolution as well.

Even across three screens? Also i was wondering if i get them at high overclocks would my cpu bottleneck them? I dont care about power and heat. There under water lol and im getting a Corsair Hx850 to power everything... Anyways so just stick my 480s? what about 570s? there like 10 more then the 480 at the B stock thing?... Is the b stock thing safe?

You are going to pay a premium to switch to 580's. If I were you I would get a 480 and call it a day, saving the money for when kepler or the 7000 series drops on 28nm.

Yes there are differences. Here is a few paragraphs *snips*. Read the entire review and you'll see for yourself.

From Hardware Canucks NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 Review

"1.One of NVIDIA’s main focuses for the GF110 was to increase the overall performance per watt over past iterations of Fermi. As it stood the GTX 480 was and still is a massively powerful card but it hit up against a power consumption wall due to a number of inefficiencies within the architecture.

2.To address some of the inherent power consumption issues Fermi exhibited, NVIDIA basically rearranged their layout so more of the faster, higher leakage transistors were placed on the critical rendering paths instead of being used for periphery tasks. Meanwhile, the slower low leakage transistors were placed where speed wasn’t a primary concern."

3.Strategically distributing the transistors in this way allows for a small speed-up in overall rendering performance. More importantly it also means the fastest transistors will now be fully utilized instead of being used for non critical tasks and thus lowering overall performance per watt.

4.Where the GF110 differs from the GF100 is its ability to feature higher clock speeds while enabling all 16 Streaming Multiprocessors without pushing astronomical power consumption figures. This means the new flagship GTX 580 will finally feature the full 512 cores many were hoping to see from the GTX 480.

5.When the GTX 580 is directly compared to the GTX 480, it really is amazing to see what a few well thought out architectural tweaks can accomplish when teamed up with a flexible architecture. Make no mistake about it, an AVERAGE improvement of 18% over a high end card that was released about 7 months ago is no small feat and yet NVIDIA has done that and more. There were even several games where the GTX 580 displayed a 30% or higher increase in framerates (and yes, about 10% in others). Meanwhile, its highest increases seemed to be reserved for areas where it matters the most for enthusiast-branded products: high resolution, high image quality situations. This also highlights in sharp contrast one of the HD 5000 series’ failings: anti aliasing performance."

Thats from another forum but i do agree cuz with alll the new parts coming out i think the 480 would be enough? Plus there so cheap now... also no bottleneck yes bottleneck sorry ever since i heard about it i was worried...

The 580's are excellent cards but overpriced compared to a good deal on GTX 480's.

If you can get the 480's for a good deal (and I do mean good) then they are worth while but they require a lot of power , run very hot and extremely loud. The GTX 580's on the other hand are much more expensive currently but faster , using a little less power and without question much quieter.

It just depends on what kind of deal you get on the 480's that will determine the price/performance ratio. If you can water cool the 480's then they are a much better deal because you can deal with heat far more effectively and overclock them high enough that the performance difference from a stock 580 isn't much at all.

Back