48+ port switches

USF-Nealio

Limp Gawd
Are there any affordable gigabit managed switches with more than 48 ports? I need to replace the 12 aging switches in my office, and the only thing I can come up with is a Cisco Small Business SG200-50.

Need:
50 or more Gigabit or faster ports

Bonus:
10Gb uplinks
Stackable

Not Needed:
SFP ports

Cisco 2960g non stack/s stackable series for l2 access 3750e for stackable l2/3 access switches... 4948 non stackable but extremely high performance.

I was hoping to stay under $10k for the project. With that being said, the lower the price is, the easier it will be to convince the bean counters.

All of these switches are located in the data center of that facility.

12 switches with a $10k budget? At $833 per switch you're better off looking at the Cisco SG-series switches or something even cheaper (D-Link).

Are they scattered in different IDFs? Or are they concentrated in one IDF?

In that price range, I would be looking at used, such as PowerConnect 5548s or similar. You might be able to get some Cisco SG300s for about that.
What do you have now?

I have a half a dozen different model "Planet" switches. All are 10/100. Some have Gb up-links, some have 10/100 up-links, some don't have up-links at all. Some have full management, some have web-only management, some aren't managed. It's a huge mess, but it's a result of a decade of slow expansion.

We use some nice ProCurve's for the server networks and core, but they went the cheap route out on the distribution layer.

I'd love to just have 12 of the same model switch for ease of administration.

I have a half a dozen different model "Planet" switches. All are 10/100. Some have Gb up-links, some have 10/100 up-links, some don't have up-links at all. Some have full management, some have web-only management, some aren't managed. It's a huge mess, but it's a result of a decade of slow expansion.

We use some nice ProCurve's for the server networks and core, but they went the cheap route out on the distribution layer.

I'd love to just have 12 of the same model switch for ease of administration.

lol. Most stackables are expensive.

I would tell you stay away from DLink. At all costs.
SG500 would be best best but at that price I would tell you to go to a HP 2510G.

The specs you have requested at that price point are just not going to happen.

I would look at the PROSAFE® 52-PORT GIGABIT STACKABLE SMART SWITCH
GS752TXS.
It has all you need and I am sure if you order in bulk you will get a discount.

I had a really good experience with Netgear switches.

I'd have a look at the ZyXEL XGS1910-48 switches, the non "X" switches are a good bargain and feels a lot more solid than what D-Link and Netgear offers. The X adds 10Gbit and stacking among a few other things.
They also fit under your budget...
For those wondering, the GS1910-series uses Vitesse chipsets :)
//Danne

Last edited:
I've used Netgear products before and have not been impressed- from $50 WiFi/Routers to $700 PoE switches. The need to restart the device after almost every change is maddening, and in the case of the switch, the web interface would not work correctly with any current browser. I am not saying D-link is better, I tend to lump Netgear and D-link together. I'd even go with TP-Link before Netgear.
I'd rather buy decent used gear (HP/Dell/Cisco Business/Enterprise) than new Netgear. For me, it is just not worth the time it takes to deal with Netgear's idiosyncrasies when I can just use something else.

I've used Netgear products before and have not been impressed- from $50 WiFi/Routers to $700 PoE switches. The need to restart the device after almost every change is maddening, and in the case of the switch, the web interface would not work correctly with any current browser. I am not saying D-link is better, I tend to lump Netgear and D-link together. I'd even go with TP-Link before Netgear.
I'd rather buy decent used gear (HP/Dell/Cisco Business/Enterprise) than new Netgear. For me, it is just not worth the time it takes to deal with Netgear's idiosyncrasies when I can just use something else.

I have no experience with their stuff on the consumer side but I do have some managed switches and haven't experienced the issues your reporting. Granted all my stuff is less then a year old. They have been reliable as far as my experience goes. I have had a dumb switch I have abused like mad and it still works.

I had horrible time with DLink primarily with stupid green ethernet bullshit it didn't detect the right length of cables. Their support also sucks donkey dicks. Like I give a shit if I save 25 watts when I am on a tiered Power plan.
Yes I rather have an HP/Cisco but it also comes down to price.

Yeah, DLink has been horrible for a number of years. Lots of devices that fail, lockup, bad ports, etc.

Netgear METAL case stuff is quite good. The unmanaged GS series is one of the best desktop "pro-sumer" switch lines I have come across (have tons of them in client installations and they keep on trucking).

For anything much more complicated, I would go Dell/HP/Cisco as the price difference is not much.

I'm suspicious of green Ethernet in general- I had a Cisco SG200-50P where it was enabled and I'm pretty sure it kept shutting down an active port. The newer Dell switches have it as well and I haven't noticed a problem, but I tend to disable it as well. If I wanted to save power, I'd buy a TP-Link passively cooled with a dinky wall-wart power supply, not an enterprise switch with Redundant Power and fans loud enough to make a banshee envious.

I'm glad Netgear has worked out for you. I was just at a point where I didn't have time to deal with it and standardized on Dell PowerConnects and Cisco as secondary. I know Netgear has some pretty good warranties and support. The issue I had with the Business class PoE switch was 'As Designed' so there was no resolution. I relegated the 'Smart' switches to dumb switch use and solved that problem. I was quick to poke fun at Netgear, but they fill a need and occupy a good place in the market. At the end of the day, they're a tool to get the job done; if it does the job it's the right tool.

We've had zero problems with the D-Link DGS Smart Switch line. We have been deploying them for over a year. We have a lot of the DGS-1210 line, mostly 24's and a few 48's.

We have 3 Netgear ProSafe running for the last 3 years in a fraternity with zero issues. 2x GS748TS and 1x GS724TPS.

Have you looked at Procurve stuff? They're usually well cheaper than cisco with nearly identical IOS and "lifetime" warranty. I say lifetime in brackets because I've never really tested that theory. We were a cisco shop at my old job.

Is used OK? There's tons of 450x/4507r series Cisco chassis fully loaded out for under 1k on eBay.

Have you looked at Procurve stuff? They're usually well cheaper than cisco with nearly identical IOS and "lifetime" warranty. I say lifetime in brackets because I've never really tested that theory. We were a cisco shop at my old job.
If you got to warranty checker on HP website its like 99 Years.

Can you provide some anecdotal evidence?

I still rather have a Netgear over a DLink any day.

I have a large number of Netgear GS105 and GS108 switches in peoples offices/cubes. It's relatively common that they die and grenade the entire network segment they're on. I'd guesstimate we have ~80-100 of them in service and around once every 4-6 months we have a blowout.

They're cheap and work OK but they die with flare.

We use HP for our core and edge switching and when they die they don't take down everyone with them. We've moved to 1810G-8/24's whenever we deploy anything now and are slowly replacing the Netgears as it makes sense. An entire department (or at least up to the nearest switch that detects/kills the port) down for 20-60 minutes while we hunt down a misbehaving switch sucks. Even if it only impacts a single Engineer it's more than paid for a better switch in lost time.

All that said, I would rather keep the Netgears over using D-Links.

HP does have the lifetime warranty, and it's great. For example, a couple years ago (late 2010, early 2011) I still had some HP Procurve 4000 and 8000 switches in service. (Great, modular 10 / 100 switches capable of 96 ports per switch... I digress..) The switches were originally purchased in the mid to late 90's ...

I had some power supplies die, so I called HP on the lifetime warranty.... HP said OK, we'll get those shipped right out to you. They then called me back a week later to tell me the power supplies were on backorder with no ETA. (not a big deal, I had spares in my own stock anyway.) It took about 12 weeks, but the power supplies finally showed up from HP..

Moral of the story... Yes, you will get your replacement parts 10 years from now (which is awesome), but HP makes no promise as to how quickly you'll get those parts...

Back