4790K up for pre-order at NE

4.0 GHz base with 4.4 GHz turbo. Nice. And cheaper than I thought it was going to launch at by about $30-40. Doubly nice.

Anyone have confirmed info about the "improved" thermal material being used with this next gen? Is it still a glob of partially dehydrated dogshit or are they back to actual solder?

4.0 GHz base with 4.4 GHz turbo. Nice. And cheaper than I thought it was going to launch at by about $30-40. Doubly nice.

Anyone have confirmed info about the "improved" thermal material being used with this next gen? Is it still a glob of partially dehydrated dogshit or are they back to actual solder?
Supposedly its soldered, or at least that was the news around the forum

I don't know why but I can't wait for these things. Guess as an AMD fan I'm just starved for some enthusiast targeted gear for a change instead of low powered cell phone CPU's. I can't wait to see the reviews on these things either. I'm seriously thinking this might be the chip that finally drives me over to the dark side for the first time since 2001 and my Pentium 4.

No, not solderd. According to what I read since the official release in these forum:

"The thermal interface material (TIM) that is between the top of the die and the heat spreader has been updated to a next-generation polymer TIM (NGPTIM)"

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014...nyon_core_processor_presentation#.U46LX9JOXmE

What cheap-ass clowns. I knew it wouldn't be solder. All their hyped-up promotional stuff about addressing the thermal problems... they may have I guess but they're still cheap bastards. It'll be interesting either way.

It will be enough to where you can see if a chip is worth delidding or not. Well, if you are binning them... :rolleyes: [bites finger nails] I only pre-ordered one...

What cheap-ass clowns. I knew it wouldn't be solder. All their hyped-up promotional stuff about addressing the thermal problems... they may have I guess but they're still cheap bastards. It'll be interesting either way.

Truth of the matter is bare die access is a gift to enthusiast that are capable and willing to maximize bare die cooling.

Also best explanation of the improvements of DC cooling that I have found is here: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...-devils-canyon-i7-4790k-i5-4690k-preview.html

Carefully read about the new TIM being used and the changes in the electrical design of resistors and extra silicon added to increase over all heat dissipation area. Looks like Intel has put in a noticeable effort in improving the electrical circuit design and physical design of the heat transfer area along with better TIM. Should work out much better for those who are not willing to delid while still giving benefits for those who want to delid. Looks like WIn WIN to me if Intel did this right.

Last edited:
Yep, you can place the order online but you have to walk into a MC to pick it up.

Pre-ordered on newegg, hoping my sample ends up being decent. Should hold me over till haswell-e.

Gonna wait until Haswell-e, only real thing that will get me off X79 and my 3930k...

Amazon, LLC finally put the 4790k up for pre-order this afternoon..

www.amazon.com/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-Processor--BX80646I74790K/dp/B00KPRWAX8/

It's $379.. $30 over Intel's MSRP, which is weird for Amazon. Also, no pre-order price guarantee. And some of the description is really wrong..

up to 4.10 GHz

Not compatible with Intel Motherboards or z87 motherboards. Only compatible with z97 motherboards

So, where do I find an AMD socket 1150 board? :D

Pre-ordered on newegg, hoping my sample ends up being decent.

Honest question.. is it possible that Intel pushes out better CPUs at launch to ensure a good flow of 5-out-of-5 star customer reviews?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I pre ordered one from Newegg before they raised their price from $339. I am building a new gaming rig and coming from a Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550, this should be a nice speed bump. :)

I pre ordered one from Newegg before they raised their price from $339. I am building a new gaming rig and coming from a Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550, this should be a nice speed bump. :)

Newegg's still showing $339 (was $349 yesterday), and now they're throwing in a free $5 gift card. I'm assuming they're doing this so you can't use the $20-off anything MasterPass coupon :rolleyes:

MC will always have the lowest price. Great if you live near one. I wish I had one nearby. I chose NE over Amazon simply because Amazon now charges tax for my state. Sorry Amazon, NE is cheaper to get to my door. Cant wait to pair a 4790k with two 290x cards. The new rig will be a beast. :D

wondering if i should get one, the pc i made for mining months ago has an Asrock Z87 Extreme 4 and the cheapest dual core haswell in it atm so assuming Asrock updates the bios for that MB to support DC i should be able to just pop it in move my ram over from my main pc and make the mining box my new main pc.

my main pc atm is an Asus 990FX + 8120@ 4.5ghz

i can also drive 40-50minutes to the microcenter by Detroit to get it a little cheaper than newegg.

my other option is to wait on X99 and DDR4 but i am unsure if i want to early adopt DDR4 could be pretty expensive i might be better off waiting to do some sort of DDR4 upgrade fall/winter 2015.

any ones opinions or thoughts on this?

i have plenty of gpu's laying around atm 3 290's and 1 7950.

2 of the 290's are AIO water cooled atm other 1 is still reference.

my other option is to wait on X99 and DDR4 but i am unsure if i want to early adopt DDR4 could be pretty expensive i might be better off waiting to do some sort of DDR4 upgrade fall/winter 2015.

Read a rumor on ddr4 prices not being that much more expensive than current ddr3 sticks. I already pre-ordered a 4790k, but I do plan on switching to x99 once it is available.

Basically go with whatever you feel is more worthwhile.

I'm still super pissed at Intel for being cheap-asses and not going back to solder with DC. When I upgrade from my 3770K, it's likely going to be an enthusiast platform...if they don't fuck that up as well by moving away from solder when I upgrade in 2-4 years.

I'm still pissed off about that too. Solder has no downsides except for those who delid.

Paste is less efficient and degrades, and it is a shame that the 4790K is being released with this ball and chain.

MC will always have the lowest price. Great if you live near one. I wish I had one nearby. I chose NE over Amazon simply because Amazon now charges tax for my state. Sorry Amazon, NE is cheaper to get to my door. Cant wait to pair a 4790k with two 290x cards. The new rig will be a beast. :D

TWO of them... jeez. I'm wanting another one, but I'll need to go water for it. I'm not going to put 2 2.5 slot air coolers right next to each other.

Intel's lame for not going with solder. Even I agree and I can delid relatively safely--seriously though, it's surprisingly easy. I've even scratched a die before removing coolaboratory Liquid Pro without any solvent and didn't kill the chip (or degrade it or anything, it's fine). People make a bigger deal out of delidding than they need to. I was freaking out on my first one, and I'm getting ready to do DC. Vice, hard wood, hammer, heat gun, 1 minute, done.

One thing that I didn't see mentioned about the 5.5GHz OC Devils Canyon was using cold induction air on... it wasn't delidded--not that they might get 5.6 if they delidded it, but it wouldn't get so hot.

One thing that I didn't see mentioned about the 5.5GHz OC Devils Canyon was using cold induction air on... it wasn't delidded--not that they might get 5.6 if they delidded it, but it wouldn't get so hot.

Not sure if any of the winners delidded, but some of the competitors in that event did..

UFEPkbq.jpg

http://www.madshrimps.be/articles/article/1000614/COMPUTEX-2014-Intel-unleashed-the-Beast-OC-Event/2

Worthy upgrade from a 960? I will need a new mobo and ram if so.

Worthy upgrade from a 960? I will need a new mobo and ram if so.

what im wondering
and to make matters worse for me my 860 is running at 4.2....
I WOULD REALLY like to see the 960 and 860 on the same chart with the 4790k at 4.0 on all 3

Just look for older comparisons of your 1st gen Core models to a 2600K then add about 20% to the 2600K results. DC is probably going to be a little more than 20% faster than a 2600K, but that would at least give you a rough idea.

TWO of them... jeez. I'm wanting another one, but I'll need to go water for it. I'm not going to put 2 2.5 slot air coolers right next to each other.

Yeah, moving up to a 3440x1440 resolution so going CF.

Back