4790k Delid Summer 2014 Bash!!

Mine also had the offset CPU in the window of the box. Picked up from Newegg will call today at lunch.

L418C164 made in Malaysia.

What is a good website with a database of current temps and clocks online for the 4790K?

Mine also had the offset CPU in the window of the box. Picked up from Newegg will call today at lunch.

L418C164 made in Malaysia.

What is a good website with a database of current temps and clocks online for the 4790K?

I think many of them got packaged incorrectly. Its just a matter of rotating it 180 degrees and it will fit the window correctly.

Overclock.net has a large devils canyon club. I'm sure in a few weeks lots of data will be available.

I have delidded 4770k that can run stable 4.8 GHZ with with 1.48v voltage. Haven't had time to boot up my 4790k. I'm missing some power cables for PSU as well. :(

If my 4790k is no better than my 4770k I'm going to return it.

My expectations for my 4790k is 5ghz with no more than 1.45v water cooled. If it is worthy I will delid it. If not I will return for refund for dissatisfaction.

If my 4790k is no better than my 4770k I'm going to return it.

My expectations for my 4790k is 5ghz with no more than 1.45v water cooled. If it is worthy I will delid it. If not I will return for refund for dissatisfaction.

Wow. and I got called out for trying to return my 295x2 when it wouldn't work in crossfire with anything that is directx9. I had to downgrade to windows 7 to get it to work with Final Fantasy XIV.

How do you return a used proc? Microcenter does that? The closest thing we have to a Microcenter in San Antonio is this place called Altex. They don't have the 4790k yet, but they want $424.95+tax for a 4770k.

I think if you need a 4770k right now--as in, you just fried yours and you have a BF4 tournament in an hour--around here they are about the only game in town.

Returning things there is like trying to get an ex girlfriend to loan you money. 14 days. 15% restocking fee. Dirty looks. Many questions asked.

Edit: whoops, nvm--
Non-Returnable / Non-Refundable Items:
♦ Any Special Order Item
♦ Batteries
♦ CPU’s and Memory not installed by a qualified Altex Technician

Last edited:
Not sure if MC will give me full refund. Maybe they can let me exchange for another but if I don't get any low voltage 5ghz DC action I will return and take a loss on the 15% restocking fee.

Is DC a worthy upgrade to the 2500k?
Depends on how high your 2500K is OCed, plus whether you want/need HT and the new platform stuff.
Assuming a 4.5GHz DC OC, that's roughly equivalent to a 1.1 x 1.03 = 5.1GHz 2600K.

Depends on how high your 2500K is OCed, plus whether you want/need HT and the new platform stuff.
Assuming a 4.5GHz DC OC, that's roughly equivalent to a 1.1 x 1.03 = 5.1GHz 2600K.

It;s OC'ed like 4.3.

If you reformat it doesn't reset your OC?

Bios holds your clock settings, hard drive holds your operating system... Totally independent, that being said... Really unstable clocks can corrupt your OS install

My 2600k is running so sweet @4.5 need to stop thinking about this 4790k. lol

2600k @4.5GHZ is nice CPU but I'd much rather have a 4790k at 5GHZ.

I'm sure almost all 4790k can do 4.5 GHZ.

I had a 2500k that could do 5GHZ no problem at around 1.4v. 4.5GHZ on a 2600k isn't a hard over clock to achieve unless the 2600k is not very good quality.

I just came from a 4.5GHz 2600k to this 4790k @ 4.5GHz and so far haven't noticed any performance difference in games. Granted I've only tried Planetside 2 and a few other less demanding ones -- 3dmark Firestrike Extreme is within a few points between the two platforms. If I didn't have a buyer lined up for my old 2600k I most likely would not have spent the extra money for the new CPU, motherboard, RAM. It is 'neat' to be on a different CPU after 3+ years though - overclocking is a little different but still relatively easy. Thankfully I was able to get an L4 batch which requires very little vcore to achieve the overclock.

After some practice I am ready. Gonna do it this weekend.

zJMgBQul.jpg

AT8JI9fl.jpg

82seLIFl.jpg

L331C517 Malaysia

Now I am waiting for my Z97 to arrive...

Can anyone tell me if I might have damaged the CPU by first NAIVELY installing it into my Z87X (UD4H)? It sure did not post, just beep 1 second power off > restart power off etc.

L331C517 Malaysia

Now I am waiting for my Z97 to arrive...

Can anyone tell me if I might have damaged the CPU by first NAIVELY installing it into my Z87X (UD4H)? It sure did not post, just beep 1 second power off > restart power off etc.

I don't see how, that board should support DC just fine. Did you update to bios F9 before trying?

Edit: Also a F10c beta bios out for that board too.

I don't see how, that board should support DC just fine. Did you update to bios F9 before trying?

Edit: Also a F10c beta bios out for that board too.

I hope you are right. :)

No I didn't update, I was being lazy and working on assumptions (wife, baby and hosting two parties in one week...) ...never done that before with computers, getting really really old here lol

Well I hope my Asrock fatality Z97 professional will be good for it.

Is it worth getting this chip over the 4770k. It seems to OC much better

Last edited:
Is it worth getting this chip over the 4770k. It seems to OC much better

definitely. The 4770k is a gamble. Even if Asus wasn't lying on behalf of Intel for the 4770k only 50% of the 4770ks could hit 4.5Ghz. Did they mean post at 4.5 ? Or stable at 4.5?

Youa re pretty much guaranteed a stable 4.5Ghz chip with the 4790k.

Picked up a L329C241 batch one at local MC, guy looked through all the stock and there were no L4s in there :/
I bought the 2y warranty tho so if i fry it with high volts i get a fresh one :D Or wait till broad well and do a swap as they give you a full refund. Backing up data now, will swap mobos and new cpu with a fresh OS install.

Big question... What is Intel going to put out when Broadwell launches that will seem like an upgrade? Will the 5770k (clocked at a theoretical 3.8ghz) really be able to trump a 4790k? I don't see even the usual 5% jump making up for the clock deficiency.

Big question... What is Intel going to put out when Broadwell launches that will seem like an upgrade? Will the 5770k (clocked at a theoretical 3.8ghz) really be able to trump a 4790k? I don't see even the usual 5% jump making up for the clock deficiency.

Yo. I think Intel is done with shrinking dies. Moore's law has met its match. Intel has to tweak and go large for Intel to be able to offer a larger more powerful multicore cpu or AMD will kick Intel's ass.

Wow this shit get's reaaaaaaly hot.

I delidded mine and it dropped 25 degrees at 4.7Ghz with Large FFTs in Prime. Then I started working with Prime95 v28.5 small FFTs at 4.8Ghz/46x cache. 1.3v Core 1.25v Cache. It hit 100C pretty much right away like that... but it didn't crash, I'll just quit pushing this chip until my loop is finished o_O

Devil's Canyon + tiny AIO cooler not good mix.

If I had to guess, this chip is 4.8Ghz stable.

After i installed windows late night i ran newest prime small ffts and hit 95 on stock settings with h100i. Prime is not the best way to test real world loads, x264 keeps it under 65c max.

Wow this shit get's reaaaaaaly hot.

I delidded mine and it dropped 25 degrees at 4.7Ghz with Large FFTs in Prime. Then I started working with Prime95 v28.5 small FFTs at 4.8Ghz/46x cache. 1.3v Core 1.25v Cache. It hit 100C pretty much right away like that... but it didn't crash, I'll just quit pushing this chip until my loop is finished o_O

Devil's Canyon + tiny AIO cooler not good mix.

If I had to guess, this chip is 4.8Ghz stable.

After i installed windows late night i ran newest prime small ffts and hit 95 on stock settings with h100i. Prime is not the best way to test real world loads, x264 keeps it under 65c max.

Yeah, that's a crazy jump in heat. I noticed same problem when I tried it at 4.6Ghz with the lid on. Instant 95C

Looks like the 4790k runs cooler than the 4770k UNLESS you clock it higher than the 4770k's were getting, in which case, Devil's Canyon is an excellent name.

At 4.6Ghz this chip can go really low voltage and run nice and cool (even on prime--75C). 4.8 at 1.3v is a totally different story. hot hot hot

This is not going to work for long term testing anymore. Not at these speeds.

I'll look into an x264 loop but was wanting something like prime for a 2hour burn test or something.

How are your temps on bare die? I considered delidding the beast. I havent OC'd yet, i'll be doing that when i get home from work, ic i can get 4.8ghz under 85c on real world tests and not sythetics i just might keep it as is.

Yeah, that's a crazy jump in heat. I noticed same problem when I tried it at 4.6Ghz with the lid on. Instant 95C

Looks like the 4790k runs cooler than the 4770k UNLESS you clock it higher than the 4770k's were getting, in which case, Devil's Canyon is an excellent name.

At 4.6Ghz this chip can go really low voltage and run nice and cool (even on prime--75C). 4.8 at 1.3v is a totally different story. hot hot hot

This is not going to work for long term testing anymore. Not at these speeds.

I'll look into an x264 loop but was wanting something like prime for a 2hour burn test or something.

How are your temps on bare die? I considered delidding the beast. I havent OC'd yet, i'll be doing that when i get home from work, ic i can get 4.8ghz under 85c on real world tests and not sythetics i just might keep it as is.

Haven't figured out how to go bare die with the plastic backplate that comes with the Hydro H50/55, yet. This isn't a very good example of a delidded 4790K temps wise; it does appear to be a pretty good chip, though.

Still, it's idling at 23C-28C and that's better than the 4770K I was using which had a messed up heatspreader I tried to lap (don't do that). Couldn't get a good seating.

Pretty sure I know what to do for the H55 to make it work for bare-die but I don't really see the point since I'm about to do a new build around this chip with a full loop. I'll probably get bored late at night and mess with it though. I'll post some temp screenshots with a few different benchmarks in a few. I'm pretty stoked. I went through 6 4770Ks that I personally bought to get 4.6Ghz... then I may have one shotted a 4.8+ DC. Would be fair.

Is DC a worthy upgrade to the 2500k?

Really think its diminishing returns. I have had my [email protected] for two years and just for shits and giggles, I decide to let Asus Autotune try and extreme overclock setting. Well this locked at almost 5.2Ghz. I am now perfectly stable at 4.9Ghz after gaming and benching all day. I don't think we need to upgrade honestly for another 2 years. Getting better graphics cards and higher capacity SDD Hard drive is more of an upgrade than CPU at this point. :)

What uncore/ratio voltage are you guys running? i think that's what is holding me back, as i keep putting volts through and still cant get stable 4.8 under x264 tests.

Thats much more cache voltage then me, but youre running cache ratio at 46x which is impressive with the core at 4800 and 1.3v. Very nice chip you have there. Gonna try more uncove voltage, and some extra cpu agant voltage. I can game at 4.8ghz all night, i crash in x264 stress test though.

what is the x264 stress test you are running? The one I tried I couldn't get to work at all.

Edit: nvm found this link to a good version from OCN. Get's hot as hell with 8 threads but not like p95 28.5 small FFTs.

I'll try using this to drop my vring voltage if I can. I tried bringing down the vcore from 1.3 to 1.29 and it crashed pretty quick on prime 95 28.5 Large FFTs, which doesn't get so crazy hot. I also tried blend. Works fine for the 5 minutes I let it go at 1.3v. But yeah at 4.8Ghz small FFTs is not doable for me with an H55 even delidded, although it's not direct die mounted. I'll try it again once I get the chip on a loop, but that used to be my go to test.

Last edited:
I'm using this one.
https://mega.co.nz/#!3tAGnAqZ!QbCz2r1fG0WjM8DgGYeExngGypaHftAzPUgTSn2kAdk

what is the x264 stress test you are running? The one I tried I couldn't get to work at all.

Edit: nvm found this link to a good version from OCN. Get's hot as hell with 8 threads but not like p95 28.5 small FFTs.

I'll try using this to drop my vring voltage if I can. I tried bringing down the vcore from 1.3 to 1.29 and it crashed pretty quick on prime 95 28.5 Large FFTs, which doesn't get so crazy hot. I also tried blend. Works fine for the 5 minutes I let it go at 1.3v. But yeah at 4.8Ghz small FFTs is not doable for me with an H55 even delidded, although it's not direct die mounted. I'll try it again once I get the chip on a loop, but that used to be my go to test.

definitely. The 4770k is a gamble. Even if Asus wasn't lying on behalf of Intel for the 4770k only 50% of the 4770ks could hit 4.5Ghz. Did they mean post at 4.5 ? Or stable at 4.5?

Youa re pretty much guaranteed a stable 4.5Ghz chip with the 4790k.
My 4770k can hit 4.5 at 1.325v, anything above that is unstable and only incremental really.
I just got the 4790k and testing it out in almost the same machine as mine, to see if its worth it. Currently its running 4.8 at 1.375v. Idle/Regular operations the hottest core is at 38c while an Intel Burn Test set on VERY HIGH runs it at 71c for the hottest core. Seems to be stable when running windows experience + Burn Test for 10 runs.

My 4770k can hit 4.5 at 1.325v, anything above that is unstable and only incremental really.
I just got the 4790k and testing it out in almost the same machine as mine, to see if its worth it. Currently its running 4.8 at 1.375v. Idle/Regular operations the hottest core is at 38c while an Intel Burn Test set on VERY HIGH runs it at 71c for the hottest core. Seems to be stable when running windows experience + Burn Test for 10 runs.

That's some crazy voltage, some very high idle temps and very low IBT temps.

I'm at 4.8Ghz 1.295v with a cache multi of [email protected] with a delidded chip. I'm idling at 23-26C and IBT on "very high" gets to 90C extremely quickly.

That's some crazy voltage, some very high idle temps and very low IBT temps.

I'm at 4.8Ghz 1.295v with a cache multi of [email protected] with a delidded chip. I'm idling at 23-26C and IBT on "very high" gets to 90C extremely quickly.
I am still doing testing, but I also forgot to mention that all 13 fans in my case are running around 700RPM, the case doesnt make much noise. I guess it depends how loud your machine is. I wanted to minimize the noise while retaining good temps

Also, are you referring to IBT temps on your chip being at 90C when the spike occurs (random CPU algorithm test in IBT) or the constant temp before the spike?

Also, are you referring to IBT temps on your chip being at 90C when the spike occurs (random CPU algorithm test in IBT) or the constant temp before the spike?

Yeah it starts out nice and calm, then it spikes to 90c, goes back down, spike to 90.. etc.

Oh I see what you mean. Mine does the same, but for the majority of the test it stays at 67. I brought down the voltage to 1.295 and 1.26 cache and sitting at 4.8 right now with the 4790k. Idle is 36 for the first core and 31 for the last core. 67c temp while doing IBT, spike to 90 which I think is irrelevant in day to day use. By the way, I am not delided, this is a stock chip on watercooling.

Back