4790k Delid Summer 2014 Bash!!

Yeah I got z97 ready so I hope I'm wrong. I often am wrong so that's the good news. The bad news is that even if they do boost to 4.4 were still not going to see 50x stable outside of some miracle so they can raise the boost but not the absolute headroom.

The wait is lame. Wish Intel would put out some good info already.

That's funny. HWbot sends me link to article where they state that:
Core i7 4790K: USD $365, 4.0/4.4GHz
which they apparently substantiate by a link to shop BLT posting of the following pricing and model listings:

I don't know folks. That doesn't say 4.0 or 4.4. That says 4.1 and if Intel had 4.4 OTW they'd want us to know so we would go out and buy z97 boards.

I don't know folks. That doesn't say 4.0 or 4.4. That says 4.1 and if Intel had 4.4 OTW they'd want us to know so we would go out and buy z97 boards.

Found this info over at OCN today..

http://www.overclock.net/t/1490872/is-it-true-the-i7-4790k-will-have-a-4-0ghz-base-clock-and-have-a-4-4ghz-turbo-frequency

I just chatted with some one from intel support on line and the person confirmed that the i7 4790k will be compatible with z87 motherboards because the i7 4790k is a 4th generation processor and the z87 is a 4th generation motherboard
but that guy JJ that works for asus clearly says the Devils canyon required code was back ported to z87 in the latest WAN show interview. He just says it wont be updated until they work out all the performance issues . but it does provide hope.

its in this Video the comment is at 59:30 .

He says they were able to back port the umei code to run DC on z87. So i expect this will happen down the road at least on Asus boards.

So is the rumor of DC working on z87 true? Still have a barely used z87x ud5h laying around. I was thinking of buying a newer z97 board, but not that many of them are appealing to me.

I would not be surprised at all. And it's an easy out for me since I originally said they would lock it out. Now I'm not sure what's going to happen but if z97 sales are not going well and they can artificially open up z87 to DC if it wasn't already, they will. It's definitely going to drop at least on press full out very soon so I'd sit tight on those z87 boards. I was one of the fools who went out and bought up a z97 board immediately and I'm slightly underwhelmed by it as expected.

Yay! I can haz Devil's Canyon on my Z87 board..

C8WzpVG.jpg

:)

Just saw an ad in the local paper from Frys for a 4790 stating that it is 3.6Ghz stock / 4Ghz turbo.

Looks like Asus Impact VI is ready for DC with BIOS flash.

I haven't checked all the updates to verify, but it appears that ASUS has added DC support to all of their Z87 boards. Read somewhere that other manufacturers have started doing this as well, but not sure who.

Well, looks like it's all turned out for the best it seems.

Key feature seems to be the added voltage regulation capacitors on the under-side. New TIM is irrelevant since this is [H]ard|Forum and you should be de-lidding as a matter of course anyway. :cool:

Hopefully these will actually be fun to overclock, unlike first rev Haswell which is/was a massive ball ache to do there being a big fuzzy overclocking 'wall' of about 200-300mhz. With Sandybridge, you could be unstable at say 5ghz, but rock solid at 4.9ghz and that was it. With Haswell you could be stable at like 4.8ghz in some apps, then only stable in others at 4.5-6ghz. Highly irritating.

I'm guessing this is basically what they've fixed.

One last prayer is that they've used the same crappy solid glue to keep the IHS on so that I can use the hammer trick again (easiest de-lid method by far). ;)

With Haswell you could be stable at like 4.8ghz in some apps, then only stable in others at 4.5-6ghz. Highly irritating.

This is why most people quote the freq at which they are prime95 avx2 stable. Then again, now UEFI is allowing different apps to have different overclocking profiles... My signature overclock is stable on anything.

Good news in case you didn't know.

At the Intel Unleash the Beast DC 4790k OC event earlier this month in Taipei China Team MSI won the air cooling category with an over clock of 5.5 GHZ and they delidded their 4790k! :cool:

Good news in case you didn't know.

At the Intel Unleash the Beast DC 4790k OC event earlier this month in Taipei China Team MSI won the air cooling category with an over clock of 5.5 GHZ and they delidded their 4790k! :cool:

I wonder if they had to go through many CPU's before finding that specific one that could hit that speed. Anyone know?

I wonder if they had to go through many CPU's before finding that specific one that could hit that speed. Anyone know?

they dont cool it normally.
using air from bottles of LN2......thats pretty cold air...
5ghz or even 4.9ghz wont be normal, think 4.6ghz.

Hard to find any details on the complete set up but MSI was the only team to delid and they took first place in the air or liquid cooled category. Not sure how cold the ambient surface temps of the heat sink was.

If somebody knows more details about the MSI world record with a delidded 4790k share a link.

This is why most people quote the freq at which they are prime95 avx2 stable. Then again, now UEFI is allowing different apps to have different overclocking profiles... My signature overclock is stable on anything.

Have to say, after going through some of the OC profiles today comparing the 4790k results to some of the 4770k results your OC is pretty impressive for the low voltage and on an H55. If you don't mind me asking, what is your tempt you are running?

Have to say, after going through some of the OC profiles today comparing the 4790k results to some of the 4770k results your OC is pretty impressive for the low voltage and on an H55. If you don't mind me asking, what is your tempt you are running?

It idles around 27-30C and in IBT or p95 28.5 it tops out about 75C.

Recently I redid my fan config and I was able to change the H55 to intake instead of exhaust and temps improved by 5C or more at extreme loads. I've had to adjust my voltage ever so slightly with z97, and I'll update my signature. Seems to me theres Linpack stable, and then there's Linkpack stable with stuttering. Added a bit of vcore to make the EUFI voltage monitor say all 4 cores were 1.296v (input is 1.284) and I've gone to 1.212 input on vCache. It's the chip, though. I've tried to get it stable at 4.7 but its wants more voltage than I'm willing to give it.

It idles around 27-30C and in IBT or p95 28.5 it tops out about 75C.

Recently I redid my fan config and I was able to change the H55 to intake instead of exhaust and temps improved by 5C or more at extreme loads. I've had to adjust my voltage ever so slightly with z97, and I'll update my signature. Seems to me theres Linpack stable, and then there's Linkpack stable with stuttering. Added a bit of vcore to make the EUFI voltage monitor say all 4 cores were 1.296v (input is 1.284) and I've gone to 1.212 input on vCache. It's the chip, though. I've tried to get it stable at 4.7 but its wants more voltage than I'm willing to give it.

I wouldn't touch it either, especially if you are only maxing out at 75C. Interesting idea on turning the fans to intake instead of exhaust, I'm guessing you are doing a push/pull?

I wouldn't touch it either, especially if you are only maxing out at 75C. Interesting idea on turning the fans to intake instead of exhaust, I'm guessing you are doing a push/pull?

Yah push/pull--I think Corsair actually prefers you to use intake but not positive. It's definitely working better. I've switched to 4 intakes (3x120, and a 140) and 2 140mm exhausts. Positive pressure, filters over the intakes, less dust and the temps are not bad, but literally my entire front panel is basically just a dust filter. Highly modified mid-tower.

I'm thinking about getting a Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 to replace this case I "made" because 2 of my four intakes now have 120mm radiators on them; but it's hard to let go of something you repeatedly burned and cut yourself redesigning--especially when it actually works.

Last edited:
Nice mod, I can see why you are getting so much air flow now :D

I'm running a slightly modded P182 purely for sound dampening. As it is now I'm using my H55 with a push/pull on exhause and 2x 120's on intake with antec filters. I have an open grill right above the H55's rad which is supplying fresh air to it, I've had it open for 6 months and determining if it needs a dust plate or not.

If I could get my H55 as an intake I would try it, in the future that is as it took me days to get it where I wanted it!

I'm thinking about getting a Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 to replace this case I "made" because 2 of my four intakes now have 120mm radiators on them; but it's hard to let go of something you repeatedly burned and cut yourself redesigning--especially when it actually works.

Currently use an arc mini r2 (midi's little brother) and I'm quite happy with it. Have a 240mm rad in the front (ut60) and 360mm rad at the top (st30), air flow is solid.

I have finally chosen a Z97 MB for my delidded bare die mount build.

ASUS Z97 WS.

IMO currently the best designed and built sub $300 Z97 mb available for multiple AMD or NVIDIA card builds.

My board is coming tomorrow, and will get the 4790k from MC when it hits store shelves.

I'm a bit worried that the chip wont be that impressive over my current.
My 2600k does 4.8ghz withe ase on auto settings, if i fucked around with it it would run at 5 i bet.

I have finally chosen a Z97 MB for my delidded bare die mount build.

ASUS Z97 WS.

IMO currently the best designed and built sub $300 Z97 mb available for multiple AMD or NVIDIA card builds.

My board is coming tomorrow, and will get the 4790k from MC when it hits store shelves.

I'm a bit worried that the chip wont be that impressive over my current.
My 2600k does 4.8ghz withe ase on auto settings, if i fucked around with it it would run at 5 i bet.

I expect some lucky people will get 5ghz stable 24/7 with DC.

2500k and 2600k seemed so easy to over clock compared to IB and Haswell. Hope you get a fast 4790k and are pleased with the performance also look into good set of 2400mhz capable ram to get the most of 4790k.

Already started looking at ram, god damn this upgrade is becoming a full swap quite quickly. I thought its harder to oc hasswell chips with high freq ram, is that true?

I expect some lucky people will get 5ghz stable 24/7 with DC.

2500k and 2600k seemed so easy to over clock compared to IB and Haswell. Hope you get a fast 4790k and are pleased with the performance also look into good set of 2400mhz capable ram to get the most of 4790k.

I think 2400mhz with 5ghz will be possible for a few lucky people. I wouldn't go less than 2400 MHz rated speed cl 9 is good... Lower the vram voltage the better.

I think 2400mhz with 5ghz will be possible for a few lucky people. I wouldn't go less than 2400 MHz rated speed cl 9 is good... Lower the vram voltage the better.

Are you going back to using the old 7950s??? What happened to the 290X under water you had?

The 290x is in a mini itx rig. Asus maximus impact VI with 4770k and Seasonic Platinum 660w PSU.

I will start off with crossfired HD7950s on the ASUS Z97 WS mb with the Intel 4790k. Powered with Seasonic Platinum 880w PSU.

I like both of my HD 7950s and in crossfire performance should be on par or slightly better than my single 290x.

If I don't like the performance I will sell hd7950s and upgrade. I should be fine till next gen AMD cards are available.

Can you guys link me to some benchmarks with faster ram on haswell chips, like 1600mhz vs 2400mhz.
I want to see what king of performance increase it would yield me.

Back