478 or 775?

The Saint

Gawd
Guys...........

still trying to decide my HTPC setup and I was wondering what you guys think about upgradablility: how important it is for an HTPC?

If I go with a 478 motherboard I will be restricted to an AGP video card and a 478 CPU, while mantaining noise and heat low and have more headroom for overclocking........

If I will go with a 775 motherboard, well the road is pretty much open....but Noise and heat will be a lot higher...!

What to do?

I agree. A socket 939 is still going to be warm but the Prescotts are still too toasty for good HTPC usage.

*EDIT Hehehehe... good not goot you flippin' moron.

problem is that I'm going to use heavy ffdshow resizing, sharpening, filtering with Dscaler and Avisinth and what more....

so P4 is better...

The Saint said:
problem is that I'm going to use heavy ffdshow resizing, sharpening, filtering with Dscaler and Avisinth and what more....

so P4 is better...
You do know that an A64 is doing more per clock then a Prescott right?

CrimandEvil said:
You do know that an A64 is doing more per clock then a Prescott right?

Doesnt mean its better in encoding

Go 478 with 2.6C or even 2.8C. Cool running chips with decent horsepower.

yes.... i must say intel is still doing better in multimedia than AMD...
the AMD 939 is geard towards the gaming community...

rayman2k2 said:
Doesnt mean its better in encoding
I'd rather give up a few seconds (you are using a hardware based encoder right? ;) Anyways I do my transcoding at night) for a cooler running chip.

Go 478 with 2.6C or even 2.8C. Cool running chips with decent horsepower.
Agreed though, IMO the old Northwoods were great CPUs as well as the current Dothans. Prescotts are more like the kind of chicks that you'd "pick up" at a bar around closing. ;)

CrimandEvil said:
Prescotts are more like the kind of chicks that you'd "pick up" at a bar around closing. ;)

:D that is awesome! lol crack me up!

hmmm so i guess it comes down o 939 or 478; oh...and will nnot do any kind of encoding, but just post processing... :)

The Saint said:
:D that is awesome! lol crack me up!

hmmm so i guess it comes down o 939 or 478; oh...and will nnot do any kind of encoding, but just post processing... :)
Well it doesn't really matter then since they're about equal with FFDShow, you'll just want to make sure to grab the SSE2 version of it.

If you want something more "future proof" then go with a 939 and a NF4 board.

my next rig is going to be a 939 NF4 board. once more NF4 boards are available. I want to side by side it with my P4 system

Thatonen00b said:
Get a newer 5xxJ p4, mine idles lowww.
My Mobile AXP idles low at 35c. ;)

At load is what matters most if your using FFDShow (I hit 42c there :D ).

well....I think I might go with the 939 then: I just read the review of the MSI Nforce4 :D

Thanks guys...

Back