4770k vs 4790k

Maori80

[H]ard|Gawd
Got offered a deal 4770k with Corsair H100i for $240 and 4790k with CM Hyper 212 for $280, Which would be a better deal? and How much a difference is 4770k and 4790k? I will be using Asus Maximus VI Hero and 32GB GSkill Sniper 1866mhz DDR3 Ram and R9 390 Video Card.

Difference is very small but the 4770k with that cooler sounds like a good deal. The 4790k is a hot beast so don't expect great overclocking results with aircooling unless you don't mind insane noise. Now if you don't overclock, 4790k all the way of course.

they are essentially the same chip... 4790K it's a rehashed and improved version of the 4770K with a more robust power delivery circuitry and better binned for overclocking, so it reach better and higher overclocks with less leakage so less voltage required. it also have improved Thermal Paste between the Die than the IHS so if you aren't planing on delid the 4790K it's a more obvious reasons, specially because the higher base frequency of that chip in comparison to the 4770K, the 4770K it's unreasonably hot until you delid it so I would certainly pay the extra 40$ to pick the 4790K.

The reviews I can find (such as : Intel Haswell Core i7-4790K vs. i7-4770K Comparison Review ) say that clock for clock, the 4770k is slightly cooler and uses slightly less power somehow. I am really not convinced that the 4790k has a better chip although of course Intel wants us to believe that.

I'm sure there is silicon lottery involved though, not everyone needs 1.25v to reach 4.4ghz like my 4790k does :p but I think a 4770k with a Corsair H100i is pretty nice for overclockers.

Last edited:
4790k will hold 4.4 Turbo 100% of the time if you tell it to, no OC needed

they are essentially the same chip... 4790K it's a rehashed and improved version of the 4770K with a more robust power delivery circuitry and better binned for overclocking, so it reach better and higher overclocks with less leakage so less voltage required. it also have improved Thermal Paste between the Die than the IHS so if you aren't planing on delid the 4790K it's a more obvious reasons, specially because the higher base frequency of that chip in comparison to the 4770K, the 4770K it's unreasonably hot until you delid it so I would certainly pay the extra 40$ to pick the 4790K.
You summed things up nicely. Although I would add that there is some silicon lottery involved. There are examples of 4790K's that are worse than nice examples of 4770K CPUs. I've not experienced that myself, but I have found some examples of either to be close to each other.

The reviews I can find (such as : Intel Haswell Core i7-4790K vs. i7-4770K Comparison Review ) say that clock for clock, the 4770k is slightly cooler and uses slightly less power somehow. I am really not convinced that the 4790k has a better chip although of course Intel wants us to believe that.

I'm sure there is silicon lottery involved though, not everyone needs 1.25v to reach 4.4ghz like my 4790k does :p but I think a 4770k with a Corsair H100i is pretty nice for overclockers.
I currently own a 4770K and I've tested a few of both with a variety of motherboards. The 4770K is Haswell based, while the 4790K is actually Devil's Canyon. The differences are enumerated nicely above, so I won't rehash all that. The main differences for the user is the TIM and being better binned as a general rule. More specifically the IVR of Devil's Canyon is more suited to overclocking. Where the rubber meets the road the 4790K is on average only a slightly better overclocker than the 4770K is.

4790k will hold 4.4 Turbo 100% of the time if you tell it to, no OC needed

That's the thing, mine by default does that (because of the mobo) with 1.3v. By adjusting the voltage manually I was able to drop the temps but I can't go any lower than 1.25v. I get 124 BSODs right away with very demanding loads otherwise. I know there are better chips out there, I've heard of people with [email protected] or even better. But even with those settings the heat is quite considerable compared to my OC'd 2500k (I kept the same cooler and case).

That's the thing, mine by default does that (because of the mobo) with 1.3v. By adjusting the voltage manually I was able to drop the temps but I can't go any lower than 1.25v. I get 124 BSODs right away with very demanding loads otherwise. I know there are better chips out there, I've heard of people with [email protected] or even better. But even with those settings the heat is quite considerable compared to my OC'd 2500k (I kept the same cooler and case).

You can not directly compare a 2500K to 4790K not even to the same 2600K, the only fact of i7 4c run hyper-threading to the extra 4 threads that add extra heat, my findings point to an average of 10C at the same clocks, also require more voltage for the i7 parts versus i5 at the same clocks due the same reason.

But the more important thing to compare is the fact that sandy bridge was the last generation to utilize soldered internal heatsink instead of the Pasted internal heatsink, that's why since ivy bridge intel chips produce the illusion that are hotter chips when the fact is the main limitation in cooling it's related to the TIM used between the core die and IHS, which was utterly crap on ivy bridge and even worse on haswell but a little bit improved on devil's canyon refresh, that's why no matter what kind of cooler you slap onto it they tend to "run hot" due TIM inefficiency.. Im sure that with soldered IHS with newer chips those things would be amazingly cold runners..

I'm well aware of that, but not everyone is willing to delid etc.
And heat is also a matter of transistor density so I'm pretty sure the 4790k still qualifies as a "hot" chip even with the delid mod (and just look at how hot Pascal GPUs are as well).

I have a H105 on my 4790k and stay at 50c or under while gaming. Delidding and replacing the TIM drops temps quite a bit from what I've seen. I'm not even sure what voltage it's running at.

IVMWare Workstation 12 wouldnt even run without VT-d.
Tried it on my 6700K 2 weeks ago.

What virtualization are you using that needs VT-d on a workstation?

You need this any time you try to use a device across OS's with non-native drivers -- eg: linux host with Windows guest where only native windows drivers work.

Last edited:
I would go w/a 4770K. My motherboard ran it at 3.9 out of the box with no questions asked.

Go with the 4790k combo. After all the horror stories I'm hearing of AIO coolers having their fluids drying up I'd avoid them. Used to have a H100 myself and never liked the pump noise it made, was happy to ditch it and go with a CM H212 Evo. Quieter and still keeping my processor plenty cool, and no worries about it drying up.

CM Hyper 212 I feel like is such a piece of crap I through it in for free when I sold my last CPU. Not sure if it matters much to you but if you were looking for another air cooler the SilverStone Argon was an absolute breeze to install in comparison was much happier. That is if you don't go with that combo mind you.

I'd get the 4790k, better resale value better clocking and a better chip. Don't fear AIO, I used one for 4 years without issue. Just be sure to get a reputable brand but I would buy one new because then you're covered against failure/hardware replacement. Just be sure to go NZXT or Corsair IMO. If you're also interested and have a larger case and want only air I've got a nice Thermalright cooler with a pair of their nice silent 140mm fans for pretty cheap. That Hyper 212+ will work, but not very well.

Thanks for all the Input, I went with 4770k with H100i for $240, everyone tell me its awesome deal.

Yeah but I didnt acutally set overclocking. the otherboard just defaulted to that speed.
I dont understand why you posted to say your processor runs as intended by design.
Nobody had said they dont work to spec.
You said the reason to buy the 4770K was because it runs at its rated speed which can be said for every single processor.
It isnt a reason to buy a 4770K.

This added nothing to the conversation here other than a bit of confusion why you said it.

IVMWare Workstation 12 wouldnt even run without VT-d.
Tried it on my 6700K 2 weeks ago.

vmware workstation should only need vt-x, vt-d is for passing hardware through to a guest operating system.

vmware workstation should only need vt-x, vt-d is for passing hardware through to a guest operating system.
I cant guarantee which of the 2 was listed in the error, my memory is hazy.
This article claims that vt-x is for IA-32 and Intel64 which are not X86 and X64.
Overview of the Intel VT Virtualization Features - Thomas-Krenn-Wiki

I'm not saying you are not right as there could be more to vt-x than the article states.
Can you help clarify?

(the last time I set up virualisation was probably 15 years ago!)

I cant guarantee which of the 2 was listed in the error, my memory is hazy.
This article claims that vt-x is for IA-32 and Intel64 which are not X86 and X64.
Overview of the Intel VT Virtualization Features - Thomas-Krenn-Wiki

I'm not saying you are not right as there could be more to vt-x than the article states.
Can you help clarify?

(the last time I set up virualisation was probably 15 years ago!)

Rody it's right... vt-d its only for direct I/O Passthrough (PCI Functions mostly).. or Directpass I/O under VMware and is not needed for virtualization. a vt-x enabled machine can operate without vt-d enabled or configured you just doesn't utilize vt-d features as I/O Passthrough, DMA and Interrupt Remapping but nothing else.

I dont understand why you posted to say your processor runs as intended by design.
You said the reason to buy the 4770K was because it runs at its rated speed which can be said for every single processor.

This added nothing to the conversation here other than a bit of confusion why you said it.
Why are you thread crapping. What I was saying is that it runs out of the box for me at 3.9

Im just going to keep my mouth closed after saying that you are adding just as much nothing by replying.

Last edited:
Why are you thread crapping. What I was saying is that it runs out of the box for me at 49

Im just going to keep my mouth closed after saying that you are adding just as much nothing by replying.
If you had said that I wouldnt have posted asking why.
But you said 3.9GHz.
Not 4.9GHz.

Back