4770k to 5930k what do you think?

AndreRio

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a good speed system, a 4770k. but now I am thinking about buying something with a little more muscle, a 5930k cpu. what do you guys think? worth the trouble? (and my main use for this system is everything and not games.)

what is everything? I hightly doubt you will see a difference. I haven't seen the reason to upgrade my 3570k, seriously I used to upgrade to newest and greatest all the time, but this system has been running so well for a few years at 4.2Ghz and I haven't seen any need to jump up. May be if my board goes out or something I will upgrade.

If you use your computer to make ends meet (such as, you perform tasks on your computer that would lead directly or indirectly to your source of income), and that task is CPU intensive (rendering for example), then yes it's definitely worth the upgrade

For ordinary everyday 'everything' uses (websurfing, gaming, videos, even streaming) you will get limited benefits, perhaps not at all.

Yeah yeah I know, but still seam like a good way to prepare for the future. right?

It's like this, the socket 1150 platform has no future. The 6700k is a "joke".

After using a 6 core proc w/ hyperthreading, there is no way i'll ever go back to a quad core

Wouldn't hurt to wait until skylake comes out before making that decision though.

Yeah yeah I know, but still seam like a good way to prepare for the future. right?

Every Intel socket has no future. The longest they last is approximately 2 years. Also, the 6700K is socket 1151, perhaps you're thinking of the 5775C?

The extreme chips are only worth it if you're doing a lot of heavily threaded work. If you are, get one, otherwise the 5930K will perform the same as your 4770K at stock clocks and overclock worse.

You will likely not notice much of a change. There are folks upgrading from older platforms that don't see much difference. That said you will be able to do more at once, IF you are doing that. VM's might benefit from larger memory and cores to throw at them. Do you use those? If you are simply looking to experiment and want to toss money at things you can go ahead. But you might be better served to let your 4770K get "old" through use and upgrade to a Consumer series 6 core in a few more years. Eventually 6 cores will come, maybe at the 11nm stage? Hard to say, but eventually the 4-5Ghz peak will lead to branching out rather than clocking up.

So if the money isn't too much of a deal for you yes some mild improvements but not much. Both platforms will age. How fast will depend on how hard you push them and what apps you are utilizing. Games will likely stick to the common platform, meaning they are unlikely to be optimized for anything past 4 cores just because 95%+ of the market has only 2-4 cores.

If you want some basis for thinking try to look at a few generations back, like the 49xx series and see if you'd want to own those now. Platforms age quickly and emptying the wallet on them is easy to do.

Can you provide links showing proof of the 6700k being a joke? Do you have gaming benchmarks for it yet? I dont know of any.

Well what you have isn't hurting you and tech only gets cheaper as it gets older so why not wait and see what the 6700k holds? There is also DX12 and threads to consider. You may well find when all it out and the reviews and testing is done that where you sit is not so bad after all :)

I think the x99 path is a solid choice and theres a hell of lot worse shit to blow money on....if you can afford it without credit...what are you waiting for:)

What is your CPU usage currently on average, have you tracked that in any way to see if you are hitting peaks at any point..

If you are rendering and editing and doing cpu intensive tasks. But from your second post it looks like you are itching to upgrade, in that case by all means do it if it makes you happy and you got the funds to spare. But in all honesty I used to do the same thing but I eventually got tired of changing parts and seeing no real world difference.

I haven't touched my system for a few years other than video card for about 3+ years now since the 3570k launched and next year I might upgrade comparing AMD's new Zen or what intel has at that time. I will have my 290x that I picked up for 220 here and 3570k running at 4.2ghz keep me going along until then.

Back