4770k instability since CMOS battery change

smodtactical

Limp Gawd
I recently did a CMOS battery change becuse my windows 10 times were always wrong when booting. I am not yet sure if that problem has been fixed but now I have a new issue. I was previously OCd to 4.3 ghz I think with all voltages on auto. Now at 4.3 ghz wiht voltage on auto or with core 1.25, cache at 1.15, initial and eventual input at 1.7... I BSOD within 1 minute of windows booting.

I don't recall what my prior settings were... I honestly didn't t hink it would be that much of a big deal. Any idea why I have lost stability?

Have a maximus hero VI motherboard.

you lost stability since one or more of your settings are wrong.

What about your ram settings? were those changed before as well, if so, go set them to what you had before.

that ^^ and whats the error code? if its changing its probably the ram settings.

What about your ram settings? were those changed before as well, if so, go set them to what you had before.

They are all on auto, no OC of the ram.

Ok so the problem seems deeper. Even at stock clocks (3.5 base and 3.9 boost), my pc will crash after running insurgency sandstorm, the monitors will simply shut off and the gpu fan will be maxed requiring me to do a hard reset by turning psu off then on again. This is with everything on auto. So this isn't even an OC issue any more. Could the cmos battery i put in somehow be causing this? It was good quality and did fix my inaccurate time on windows issue.

Could the cmos battery i put in somehow be causing this? It was good quality and did fix my inaccurate time on windows issue.
no but old messed up setting might. i would do a good clear on the smos and start again at stock to make sure its stable. pull the battery out, pull the power cord, hit the power button a couple times, let it sit a couple minutes then put it back together.

Ok I have now tried to load the pc with each CMOS battery in place with the load optimized default bios settings. In both cases I get the same behavior after I launch the game insurgency sandstorm, after 1-2 minutes just in the menu all my monitors loose video signal and the pc basically doesn't respond. So this is definitely not an overclocking issue anymore.

1 of my benq 1440p monitors is making a weird noise too now, like a loud fan sound inside.

Ok I have now tried to load the pc with each CMOS battery in place with the load optimized default bios settings. In both cases I get the same behavior after I launch the game insurgency sandstorm, after 1-2 minutes just in the menu all my monitors loose video signal and the pc basically doesn't respond. So this is definitely not an overclocking issue anymore.

1 of my benq 1440p monitors is making a weird noise too now, like a loud fan sound inside.
so disconnect it and see how it acts.

I may have fixed this with a clean video card driver install. Will keep testing. So far gamed for 2 hours with no crash. No idea why the Cmos battery change would affect my graphics drivers.

Ya a very clean new install of latest gpu drivers seems to have fixed this. Initially I did express which only worked partially then I used that guru3d cleaner in safe mode and did a new install and so far been gaming for hours without issue. Also got my overclock back at 4.3 ghz with 1.3 V core and all else on auto. :D Thanks for the help guys! Appreciate it.

Back