4770K 90C with H100i @ stock speeds?

Budwise

[H]ard|Gawd
What the heck is up with Haswell? I know its supposed to be hot but jesus...

I've done 3 remounts and contact is good. I've used the rubber washers on the retention bracket to get extra stability with the H100i as well. So far at stock speeds, stock volts, using LinX im hitting 90C and I cant believe what I'm seeing. Is this normal?

Asus Maximus VI Hero
H100i
Fractal Design R4 with open side for now

That seems really hot for stock, but I also question the validity of measuring such things using tools that are literally so far outside the realm of practical high-load scenarios it's almost ridiculous.

Room temp is about 22C. I just swapped out the H100i for my old Megahalem and temps are about the same. This thing is just insanely hot...

gonna take a wild stab in the dark that you are running stress tests with the voltage set on auto or adaptive rather than manual mode... /yawn

Vcore is at 1.15 manual. Fan on my Megahalem is now set to 100%, fans on the H100i were around 50% probably.

That seems way high on temps... I know you checked 3 times, but something is fubar. The bios/voltage/auto suggestion above is a good one.

I reseated, remounted, changed to another cooler, 3-4 times. The verdict is in, its crap. Will pass it off to a family member and keep my 3770K.

I've done 3 remounts and contact is good. I've used the rubber washers on the retention bracket to get extra stability with the H100i as well. So far at stock speeds, stock volts, using LinX im hitting 90C and I cant believe what I'm seeing. Is this normal?

Asus Maximus VI Hero
H100i
I have the same setup (Sabertooth board though) all stock and I dont even break 60*c at load... something is seriously wrong with your setup.

I reseated, remounted, changed to another cooler, 3-4 times. The verdict is in, its crap. Will pass it off to a family member and keep my 3770K.
Having a chip that runs twice the heat output of a normal 4770k is nearly impossible.

it has to be either a install error or something is not properly in BIOS.

That temperature is way too high. Either h100 is broken or you didn't seat it properly. Should be like 30C or less on idle.

Why would you give bad gear to family intentionally? If it's genuinely defective, then it needs to be RMAed.

It still runs and is stable, its just hotter than the sun.

It shouldn't be. I've only got a Kuhler 620 on mine with push/pull + shrouded CM BladeMasters and the temps have never gone over 72C @ stock and that's with the Kuhler unit ingesting a good deal of heat from the 780 running at full bore as well. Something isn't right :(

I have the same setup (Sabertooth board though) all stock and I dont even break 60*c at load... something is seriously wrong with your setup.
Same here. My i7-4770 with stock clocks and using the reference HSF never breaks 60C under gaming loads with an ambient room temperature of 24C. Have you looked at the temperatures while playing games? LinX is one of those benchmarks that puts 100% load on all cores, so it would heat the processor up to levels you wouldn't see through the course of normal use.

Asus Maximus VI Hero
H100i

I have the H90 and had the same issue at stock with my new build. I was running 88c at stock and couldnt understand why. After a couple of remounts I realised that I had managed to put the pump power cable (3 pin) across the wrong pins on the motherboard header (4 pin). Moved it over one pin and bam! running perfect at 24c idle. Stupid mistake on my part but the connector fit fine so I didn't question it at first.

I don't know if its just the new architectures, but LinX adds like 20 deg C on top of other stress tests I do, so I don't really use it on Haswell (don't have Ivy Bridge to compare). Prime or AIDA would give me ~70s and LinX (IBT) was over 90C. Not sure that is the most useful program for testing.

EDIT: Meant to edit my previous post.

My previous build is using LGA 1366, but the difference in programs was not nearly as noticeable, maybe a few degrees.

Just ran LinX with a [email protected] with an h100i as my cooler and never went above 67c. Are you sure it's not your temp sensors that are bad? If you don't want to RMA it, maybe delidding would help.

What are the temps under the stock HSF? You are using two high end coolers, if you use the stocker and temps are close to the same, then it might be a problem with the contact of the die to the IHS. If this is not the case then the chip will hit TjMax under the stock cooler because if it is hitting those temps under highend air there is no way the stock cooler will keep it under control and if this is the case then the CPU needs to be RMAed.

Yea, i tested it with the stock HSF and temps were only 5C hotter. Its just a poorly done IHS...

I've not seen my 4670k go above 55c while gaming. Right now the cores are at 25/25/27/26. This is just with a coolermaster 212+. As others have said, if you're getting those temps on water cooling you really should rma that chip.

I don't know if its just the new architectures, but LinX adds like 20 deg C on top of other stress tests I do, so I don't really use it on Haswell (don't have Ivy Bridge to compare). Prime or AIDA would give me ~70s and LinX (IBT) was over 90C. Not sure that is the most useful program for testing.

It's the AVX that cause so much heat, try the new version of Prime which is AVX aware and you'll see the same temperature.

Yea, i tested it with the stock HSF and temps were only 5C hotter. Its just a poorly done IHS...

You're saying you got nearly same temps with the stock HSF as the H100i and you think nothings wrong with the installation of the h100i? But a 3770k runs cool in same machine? Is this one of those Haswell hater threads? :D

Edit: My first Haswell was a 4770S that would throttle itself at stock speeds on prime 95 28.1 (AVX2) Later, I realized I had been letting the AVR run the show instead of doing manual voltages. Anyway, it probably is a bad IHS... I'd whack it with a hammer.

Last edited:
out of curiosity what temps does it get with intel's own Extreme Tuning Utility?

if you've tried it or if you want to try it?

my stock i7-4770K is hitting just 58C on hottest core with the ETU's stress test.

what is the cpu volts at load? i know with my cpu even at auto everything, my cpu will pull 1.26+ volts. at those setting the temps will hit 90's fast.

bet he was giving it the same voltage as his 3770k stock or worse. Auto voltage is asking for trouble, especially when swapping CPU without a BIOS flash.

My 4670k doesn't even get anywhere near that @1.26 volts and 4.3ghz its usually in the high 50's low 60's.

He said he's running STOCK at 1.15v. Why would he lie? It's most likely true. Delid that puppy. IHaswell is kind of a big dumb ox type proc.

bet he was giving it the same voltage as his 3770k stock or worse. Auto voltage is asking for trouble, especially when swapping CPU without a BIOS flash.

Since when did the 4770k compatible with motherboards for 3770k (and motherboard need a BIOS flash when swapping the processor???) :confused:
/And auto voltage, although not quite good for OC, it's still perfectly capable of setting the voltages for all components at stock settings.

Last edited:
Back