4690k capped after RAM upgrade?

Koko56

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi all,

I've installed two new RAM sticks and it works, however, now my CPU is capped at 3.89Ghz (3.9Ghz I guess) no matter what I enter for multiplier in BIOS. Before it was stable at 4.5Ghz with 1.25v

Of course, the RAM is mismatched, but only in voltage. Everything is as near as seems to be practical at this distance from the release time! So, given that I got the RAM to a midpoint voltage between the two sets, of 1.580v ish - it is stable and does not give any issues. The computer is definitely faster with it installed, which probably means I was hitting the page file without realising.

The long-winded prequestion section done, is there a way to get past this seeming bottleneck with the processor? I need all the CPU speed I can get heh.

Thanks a lot.

Attachments

• IMG_3478.JPG
    IMG_3478.JPG
    440 KB · Views: 0
The amount of memory sticks you have should have no effect on CPU OCing. Just run those memory sticks @ 1.65V. Make sure bios is up to date and maybe needs a reset.

The amount of memory sticks you have should have no effect on CPU OCing. Just run those memory sticks @ 1.65V. Make sure bios is up to date and maybe needs a reset.
That's what I thought, but trying it with the new RAM I was not able to boot with 1.65. I both channels are using XMP settings, but if I set both to 2133 11-11-11-27 there is no boot.

Maybe I need to refresh myself with overclocking this setup again, but struggling to find any guides that are still up?

Are you using 3x memory sticks now, or 4? Definitely always stay at the higher voltage though, maybe try the timings on the other sticks. Also take out the memory you added and see if it goes back to working correctly again.

No, I have all 4 sticks in - matched to A/B channel between the two sets. I am cautious of trying the higher voltage as it first of all, does not boot, and when I took the 1.5v rated sticks out they were quite warm from low load.

I tried the trick of using only old/new RAM and it seemed to work okay, but I think I also was getting a bit lost between all the changes in settings and swapping RAM modiles. I have reset to base and updated BIOS, but same result - CPU stuck at 3.9Ghz. I have a feeling it is related to the control of memory chanels, where the newer lower voltage set is bottlenecking something to cause the 3.9Ghz cap.

No, I have all 4 sticks in - matched to A/B channel between the two sets. I am cautious of trying the higher voltage as it first of all, does not boot, and when I took the 1.5v rated sticks out they were quite warm from low load.

I tried the trick of using only old/new RAM and it seemed to work okay, but I think I also was getting a bit lost between all the changes in settings and swapping RAM modiles. I have reset to base and updated BIOS, but same result - CPU stuck at 3.9Ghz. I have a feeling it is related to the control of memory chanels, where the newer lower voltage set is bottlenecking something to cause the 3.9Ghz cap.
can you post some screenshots or pics of your current BIOS setup on the overclocking page? to see what have you changed..

Well.. this is odd. I tried setting a multiplier of 44 vs 45 and guess what - it booted up and now CPU is at 4.4Ghz. Everything eles in BIOS is stock settings, excpet for 1.25 on CPU and 1.15 on the one below that.

Guess I found the golden middle, factoring RAM differences.

Attachments

• 121701605_777468383103725_1570829769598786872_n.jpg
    121701605_777468383103725_1570829769598786872_n.jpg
    438.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 2020-10-19 10_27_45-Window.png
    2020-10-19 10_27_45-Window.png
    313.4 KB · Views: 0
Back