4670k vs 4770k for 1080p gaming

Roscowgo

Limp Gawd
I'm having a heck of a time trying to get my head wrapped around what I should be aiming for component wise for this theoretical build.

With something around a 270x level of video card... what's the general consensus on the i5 vs the i7?

Mild gaming, single monitor. Some photoshop. civ v, supreme commander 1,2, F1 2010-2013, minecraft.

Honestly ive been building computers forever, I would go with the top range everytime. Because you'll just be wishing you got the top range. But you cant go wrong with a 1366 set-up. I purchased a 2011 socket setup, used it for a little bit, went right back to my 1366 set-up. Get the best you cant afford oc it and be stuck on the set-up for many years to come. Then when the extreme edition stuff comes down upgrade to that on the same socket and be happy.

Honestly ive been building computers forever, I would go with the top range everytime. Because you'll just be wishing you got the top range. But you cant go wrong with a 1366 set-up. I purchased a 2011 socket setup, used it for a little bit, went right back to my 1366 set-up. Get the best you cant afford oc it and be stuck on the set-up for many years to come. Then when the extreme edition stuff comes down upgrade to that on the same socket and be happy.

What he said, or if its between the 2 processors mentioned then just get the 4670k it should be more than enough for your setup.

Second gen i5 vs i7:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/288?vs=287

Scroll down to the games section.

3rd gen i5 vs i7:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/701?vs=551

Scroll down the games section.

Anandtech doesn't have the info for the 4th gen comparison, but its about the same. The 7 is higher clock speed than the 5 by about the same percentage as the frame rate difference in those links.

In my opinion you are always much better off spending the extra $100 on a video card if this really is a gaming computer. Why get a highend processor and a midrange video card if it is the video card that runs the games?

A midrange CPU with a better vid card is FAR, FAR better than a high end cpu and a lesser video card....every single time.

Get the 4670k, overclock it to 4ghz (easy!) and get a better vid card.

htt has been way overated, I Cant believe so many have brought into the hype and brought 4770k cpus instead of 4670k's.

I've been pretty lucky with overclocks. My work i7 920 has been running @3.6 since 920s were a new thing. My home box had been running fine for years when it finally poofed... And i just looked at it for a minute or two before saying meh and switching to my laptop.

Eventually I'll fix it and pass it along to dad.

Back