4670k & 4770k purchased anwhere operating performance thread

4770k (batch L310B562) is OCCT stable at [email protected]. Having a heck of a time with my UD4H. Updated to the F7 bios and I can't seem to get the same stability I did with the older bios (not sure what version it was).

Try out the tweaktown modded BIOS. It's definitely a bit better, at least in my case. The current GB stock BIOS have rev 9 microcode, whereas the modded have rev 12. There's other tweaks, but that seems to be the biggest piece for me.

Try out the tweaktown modded BIOS. It's definitely a bit better, at least in my case. The current GB stock BIOS have rev 9 microcode, whereas the modded have rev 12. There's other tweaks, but that seems to be the biggest piece for me.

Link please?

I purchased a 4670k from Microcenter. Running it at 4.6ghz at 1.26v, 41 cache, 1.90 vrin and 1.15 vring. Seems to be getting close to 90 at 100% load. Could my H70 be defective? or do I just need a better cooler? I also have my ram at 2400mhz, I read somewhere that the cpu could be running hotter due to the ram speed. Seemed a bit far fetched, could that be true?

Jeremy - would you mind elaborating on what goes in updated microcode? What kind of improvements are possible and what happened to 10 or 11 (haha) since it just jumped from 09 to 12?

I've had this 4770K since early June.
http://imageshack.us/f/199/672b.jpg/
Not the greatest overclocker - temps and voltage needed are both quite high.

I settled on 4.3 GHz / 1.218V which gave me about 86-87C in Prime95 Small FFT. Aida64 FPU-test is a few degrees higher. At 4.4 GHz, it was not possible to get it stable while keeping temps under TJMax with Aida64 FPU-only stress test.

After de-lid, I can achieve 4.5 GHz at ~1.3V, but temperatures are quite high, around 88C in Prime95 Small FFT's. I think I'm going to settle for 4.4 GHz / 1.24V, which after the de-lid gives me 78-79C in Prime95 Small FFT.

Jeremy - would you mind elaborating on what goes in updated microcode? What kind of improvements are possible and what happened to 10 or 11 (haha) since it just jumped from 09 to 12?

I'll let Wiki explain micro code as it can do far better than I:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microcode

Basically, my perception of it is like cpu firmware, just far more hardware oriented and really the lowest level programming possible. Updates to it can tweak the CPU to run better as time goes on, but it's alterations are limited. If I remember right, the TLB bug on the original phenoms was patched out with a microcode update to give a real world example of what it can do.

as for revision jumps: Not every revision is released publicly. I believe rev, 7 was the initial release that came with all boards, 9 is in current GB boards, and I know 10 and 12 were released (but don't know for sure on 11).

I've had this 4770K since early June.
http://imageshack.us/f/199/672b.jpg/
Not the greatest overclocker - temps and voltage needed are both quite high.

I settled on 4.3 GHz / 1.218V which gave me about 86-87C in Prime95 Small FFT. Aida64 FPU-test is a few degrees higher. At 4.4 GHz, it was not possible to get it stable while keeping temps under TJMax with Aida64 FPU-only stress test.

After de-lid, I can achieve 4.5 GHz at ~1.3V, but temperatures are quite high, around 88C in Prime95 Small FFT's. I think I'm going to settle for 4.4 GHz / 1.24V, which after the de-lid gives me 78-79C in Prime95 Small FFT.

Wow, those temps are insane for a de-lidded cpu..What are you using for cooling? A regluar HSF or an AIO/Custom Loop WC? If you are using one of the latter, then you must have a bad mount..

Wow, those temps are insane for a de-lidded cpu..What are you using for cooling? A regluar HSF or an AIO/Custom Loop WC? If you are using one of the latter, then you must have a bad mount..

Phanteks PH-TC14PE air cooler. At 4.3 GHz, the de-lid gave me a drop of nearly 20C. However taking it up to 4.4 added back ~8C to my temps, and going to 4.5 added another 10C, essentially nullifying the de-lid. Before de-lid I was consistently hitting TJMax at 4.4 GHz in most stress tests, and very nearly at 4.3 GHz, so it has definitely made a difference. Those are peak temps of the hottest core.

Biggest problem is how people test - Linpack AVX2 or Prime95 with 400-ish FFT size? Aida64 with FPU and CPU? FPU only? It all makes a huge difference.

Definitely rock-stable at 4.4 GHz now after the delid, though. Decent temps under more balanced stress-testing. That's good enough for me to be honest.

Last edited:
Little update for mine. I got my stable @ 4.8ghz 1.23 volts. Temps hit 97C under newest linpack with new cooler. About to delid this thing and really push it.

Asus Z87-A
i5 4670K
HE01 cooler

Little update for mine. I got my stable @ 4.8ghz 1.23 volts. Temps hit 97C under newest linpack with new cooler. About to delid this thing and really push it.

Asus Z87-A
i5 4670K
HE01 cooler

Very nice. Good luck. Don't rush the delid.

Very nice. Good luck. Don't rush the delid.

I am waiting on the thin razors to come in. From thing I have seen looks like I got a damn good chip so hopefully in month order up some good watercooling and see if I can push 5ghz.

Weird thing is I have no seen anyone with same batch as me. L313B427

Asus Z87-A
i5 4670K
HE01 cooler

That's a great chip, I think I'd just leave it alone if I were you. I've had 4 haswell K processors in my house, 2 4670ks and 2 4770ks and none of them could do what yours is doing. I have the same mobo, an H100i and a Corsair Air 540 case with excellent cooling.

Asus Z87-A
i5 4670K
HE01 cooler

Delid that bad boy! It looks like you have a very good chip.

Finally got my system built:

MSI Z87-G45
G SKill Sniper 1866 2x4GB
Corsair HX650
H100i Cooler

Just did a quick test of an OC, please let me know if I've done anything wrong. It's now back to defaults but it worked great for the short time I tested it:

Changed CPU voltage: locked it in at 1.25
CPU Ratio @ 45x100
Locked DDR3 speeds @ 1600

Saved and rebooted, came back to windows just fine. Ran AIDA64 while cooking dinner for 45 minutes, temps peaked at 73 with H100i on balanced mode.

Finally got my system built:

Just did a quick test of an OC, please let me know if I've done anything wrong. It's now back to defaults but it worked great for the short time I tested it:

Changed CPU voltage: locked it in at 1.25
CPU Ratio @ 45x100
Locked DDR3 speeds @ 1600

Saved and rebooted, came back to windows just fine. Ran AIDA64 while cooking dinner for 45 minutes, temps peaked at 73 with H100i on balanced mode.

Temps look good for clock speed and voltage. You can probably go faster.

Well I'm having a strange issue. I had it booted up @ 4.6 with 1.20 volts. But for some reason my mouse left, right, and middle wheel click won't work. The mouse will move around, and icons will highlight when I hover, just the clicking buttons won't work. It's a Logitech G500, with the latest drivers installed. I tried a second mouse (Logitech MX518)

I cleared CMOS to get back to default and still the same thing. It works fine inside the UEFI, tried another USB port.

Fixed the issue. Just had to reinstall the Logitech software after uninstalling from safe mode.

Chip is from Puerto Rico, after 1 hr of BF3:

diIuqVC.png

He's gotta have some incredible ambients, if his idle is around 28C; I'm guessing 15-18C.

Bumped it up to 4.5Ghz at 1.20, crashed in AIDA64 overnight. I think I will stay right here at 4.4. Perfectly happy with the results.

EDIT

He's gotta have some incredible ambients, if his idle is around 28C; I'm guessing 15-18C.

I keep my AC at 69F at home so around 20C.

I think I've got 43x figured out. It ran Prime95 blend for 5+ hours before I killed that so I could try BF3. BF3 ran perfectly fine and I switched over to Dishonored and that worked as well. Here's my updated settings:

multiplier - 43x
cache min multipler - 35x
cache max multipler - 39x
vCore - 1.235v
vRing - 1.150v
vRin - auto (reported in BIOS as 1.824v)

Now that I have what appears to be a stable OC at 43x, I may shoot for 44x. With a better understanding of what makes 43x stable I can use this as a baseline to launch off to 44x.

Bumped voltages down, got a successful run last night, I will try to dial them down again tonight and see the results:

Ram is 1866Mhz 9-10-9-28 @ 1.5v

oI1C3Aa.png

Last edited:
Hi guys. First post, and I came here to share my own 4670k data.

The build:
4670k (Malaysia L311B296)
Sugo SG07
Asus Maximus VI Impact (their ROG mITX)
2x G.Skill TridentX 4GB DDR3-2400
Corsair H50 with Noctua NF-F12 in push, stock Corsair fan in pull.
EVGA GTX 770, 3TB Seagate, 128GB Corsair Neutron

I am not a particularly seasoned overclocker, so I opted to give Asus' Dual Intelligent Processors 4 software a try. I let it run its '4-Way Optimization' on my stock settings.

Afterward, it came back with a CPU freq of 100x42, 1.168V. RAM at 2400, 1.65V (10-12-12-31). The software noted that it had also loaded a power profile, but I don't see what voltages outside of vCore this has affected. Looking around in the BIOS, everything else is still at Auto.

This OC was "stable" in IntelBurnTest, Very High x 10 (about 10 minutes of testing) also stable during ~2 hours of Prime95. It reached a max temp of 75 C, according the Impact mobo's built in LED gauge. According to RealTemp, this was 86C. My H50 is definitely overmatched.

Currently, I have it "stable" (I say it in quotes because I haven't yet let it cook for more than 30 minutes at a go) 100x44, 1.184V. Now I'm skirting quite close to Tmax in Realtemp, 92C. Still, seems promising if I had a better cooler (and with an idle of 40C in a 23C ambient, I wonder if I may have used too much Arctic Silver and didn't seat tightly enough.)

However, I've noticed a couple things:

1. The DIP4 software will not remember my 100x44 settings at startup. It always reverts to 100x42 and the associated voltage. I have to manually load my 4400 profile.

2. If I try to change to 100x44 and 1.184V in BIOS, Windows will fail to boot! Pretty sure that doesn't count as stable. Or perhaps the DIP4 software is controlling more about the power settings than it appears to be, which has been keeping me "stable."

Anyhow, my initial impression of this chip is positive. So far, I can play games at this OC, and that is this build's entire purpose. With everything already packed into the SG07, we'll see if I work up the care to look more closely into my cooling. Or maybe I'll save that for a project next year, and consider delidding.

Last edited:
2. If I try to change to 100x44 and 1.8V in BIOS, Windows will fail to boot! Pretty sure that doesn't count as stable. Or perhaps the DIP4 software is controlling more about the power settings than it appears to be, which has been keeping me "stable."

I'm hoping you mean 1.18v and not 1.8. 1.8v will fry the chip and is WAY too high.

EDIT: Since you're using an Asus board CactusCarl, I would suggest giving this video a quick view: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CHs5_TdpXE

As for overclocking that chip, set your voltage settings to override, manually enter in your RAM speed (1600, 1866, 1333, etc) and RAM voltage. Then just change the CPU ratio to say 44, manually set your CPU vCore to like 1.20. See what you get.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, Cmustang87. I double-checked those settings again in BIOS, and they were already at Fully Manual (override.) But I noticed one item I didn't before: CPU Level Up. After returning that setting from 4.2 to Auto, I was able to boot into Windows with 100x44 overclock intact.

And yes, you caught my typo. 1.8V would be hilariously absurd... and also impossible. (CPU input voltage is 1.75V.) The load vCore is currently 1.18V.

Some quick Prime95 and IntelBurnTest yielded this:

8_29_13_temps_by_cactuscarlton-d6k8mvm.jpg

IntelBurnTest brings me to the TJMax within 30 seconds. The effect of the thermal throttling is very apparent there in IBT. I keep thinking that it's got to be the seating of the H50's pump on the CPU. Because I would think even an H50 should be able to cool a CPU running only 1.18V. I'll report more when I can be arsed to get back in there and do a better job on it.

Ran AIDA64 again last night after dropping my volts:
Dear God man, that chip is begging to be de-lidded! That is a beautiful sample you have there, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it be able to do 4.7-4.8 after de-lidding! 4.8Ghz on a 4770K puts you on a par with a ~5.2Ghz 2600/2700K:eek::eek:!

You could very easily end up with the best "proven" o/c on a 4770K here @ [H]ard without using LN2 etc...

Dear God man, that chip is begging to be de-lidded! That is a beautiful sample you have there, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it be able to do 4.7-4.8 after de-lidding! 4.8Ghz on a 4770K puts you on a par with a ~5.2Ghz 2600/2700K:eek::eek:!

You could very easily end up with the best "proven" o/c on a 4770K here @ [H]ard without using LN2 etc...

Well, it's a 4670K, is that information still relevant? I don't think I'll be delidding this. I'm not sure why my system is unstable at 4.5Ghz even at 1.20v. Maybe I would need to do some other tweaking.

Finally got my OC stable. Unfortunately I was unable to break 4.4. It could have been worse I guess. :p

Maximus VI Impact
4770k @ 4.4 w/ 1.29v
Noctua NH-D14 w/ 140mm Thermalright TY-140
2x4GB Samsung DDR3
Crucial M4 128GB
Asus GTX 670 DCU II TOP
Corsair AX650

4770k is a MALAY
L312B341

It ultimately took 1.29v to stabilize at 4.4.

24Prime.png

I really have a weird issue. If I overclock 4.5 Ghz and beyond, my Logitech gaming software that has the driver/control packages for my MX500, G15 and G35 headset will either cause my keyboard or my mouse to stop working. Even after resetting to defaults and AIDA64 stable. I had it running AIDA64 last night @ 1.20v and 4.6Ghz. Realized that my keyboard wasn't working. Rebooted, back to defaults, still nothing.

Reinstalling the software fixes the issue though, everything else works fine. Shrug.

My system easily passed AIDA64 overnight when it wasn't x264 stable, so it's not something I would really use to define 24/7 stability. It's still useful, of course, but not 100% definitive by any means.

I've got a sparking new 4770K in a Z87X-UD4H, and for first try quicky OC it runs 1,248V @4.5ghz
In games its around 60ish, in prime 95 highest temp was 88C

So far so good. I might try to lower the voltage a bit

Back