4670k & 4770k purchased anwhere operating performance thread

I tried that with my memory at default mother board speeds of 1600mhz and my Gigabyte Z87X-OC MB booted up but would not boot into Windows 7. I am using stock heat sink.

What is your memory speed at and what heat sink did you use to BIN it?

I used the X.M.P. profile (1866, 9, 9, 9, 27) and its 4x 8GB. Booting into Windows 8 at x46 with 1.2v works all the time and I can do light Desktop work. My fully stable and 24/7 settings are in my post above (x44/1.180v). I used Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra for the H80i.

Are you sure about that? I thought anything below 300ghz, the cache starts to affect performance overall.

Definitely yes, it was barely measurable. Here is the chart I mentioned, when I first found it I was curious and tried a lot of benchmarks that involve the CPU as well as real world testing like video encoding.

ap3b.jpg

Code:
				Stock settings			OC 1				OC 2

Auto Core/Auto Cache(x39)	OC Core(x44)/Auto Cache(x39)	OC Core(x44)/OC Cache(x44)

Cinebench			8.60				9.66				9.69

FFXIV ARR Benchmark		14040				14806				14912		

Passmark CPU			11118				12380				12395

7-zip				24683				27494				27534

3DMark11 Physics		10279				11142				11089

The variances are very small and sometimes the x39/x44 would beat the x44/x44. I always used the highest value out of 3 subsequent runs of each benchmark.

Edit: There was a post on Anandtech forums where somebody did cache testings with SuperPI and Prime95 and didn't see much of a difference either, i'm trying to find that post now.

Last edited:
I used the X.M.P. profile (1866, 9, 9, 9, 27) and its 4x 8GB. Booting into Windows 8 at x46 with 1.2v works all the time and I can do light Desktop work. My fully stable and 24/7 settings are in my post above (x44/1.180v). I used Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra for the H80i.

I'm still not sure if that Asus info put out is correct but your chip is doing great on your Asus mother board.

What is your max OC that is stable for single quick run of Intel Burn Test? What voltage and temps?

I can run stable 4.3GHZ with 1.15v and I can post into BIOS with [email protected] with memory 1.65v,2400mhz, CL 9 but I can't get past the Windows 7 boot up screen.

Could it be I have a good chip but my motherboard is giving me grief? I have a good batch number according to people at Xtreme systems.

If this chip is worthy I'm going to delid it and keep it.

Last edited:
I'm still not sure if that Asus info put out is correct but your chip is doing great on your Asus mother board.

What is your max OC that is stable for single quick run of Intel Burn Test? What voltage and temps?

I can run stable 4.3GHZ with 1.15v and I can post into BIOS with [email protected] with memory 1.65v,2400mhz, CL 9 but I can't get past the Windows 7 boot up screen.

Could it be I have a good chip but my motherboard is giving me grief? I have a good batch number according to people at Xtreme systems.

If this chip is worthy I'm going to delid it and keep it.

try memory at lower mhz.
Might help to stablize the oc.

with prime (simply to see worst case heat) my temps max at about 98c

installed a hyper 212 plus w/ some mx-4 last night and idled between 28-31c and pushing the chip hard with prime saw max temp of 65c - big difference and more than worth that $30. if i was going to oc it i'd have delidded it but not interested.

My 4770k is at 4.4ghz stable with 1.185v. Temps got into the 80s during stress testing but hardly seem to go above the mid-50s during anything else.

4.5ghz @ 1.2v was no good...it survived Prime and Aida but crashed within 5 minutes of playing Skyrim.

Definitely yes, it was barely measurable. Here is the chart I mentioned, when I first found it I was curious and tried a lot of benchmarks that involve the CPU as well as real world testing like video encoding.

ap3b.jpg

Code:
				Stock settings			OC 1				OC 2

Auto Core/Auto Cache(x39)	OC Core(x44)/Auto Cache(x39)	OC Core(x44)/OC Cache(x44)

Cinebench			8.60				9.66				9.69

FFXIV ARR Benchmark		14040				14806				14912		

Passmark CPU			11118				12380				12395

7-zip				24683				27494				27534

3DMark11 Physics		10279				11142				11089

The variances are very small and sometimes the x39/x44 would beat the x44/x44. I always used the highest value out of 3 subsequent runs of each benchmark.

Edit: There was a post on Anandtech forums where somebody did cache testings with SuperPI and Prime95 and didn't see much of a difference either, i'm trying to find that post now.

Awesome. Thanks for the info. Maybe this will help me OC higher! :)

Got my system stable at 4.7 (47x100) @ 1.4v, but my cache is at 40. lol, quite a big difference....

Hi Guys new time poster read a little bit here.

My chip is bought from Australia made in the Malay plant

4.8ghz 1.35v stable with prime will hopefully post up some pics as i have been playing more the posting / taking pics

I have it watercooled with a 64mm EK HFX 240 rad and a EK Supremacy Waterblock, when i post some pics ill post temps and such but i have been playing on it since i built it and yet to see the temps rise above 70

EDIT: forgot to say my spec's

Asus Maximus VI Gene , Gigabyte GTX 670 OC , 2133 16gb G-skill 1.60v , Samsung 840 Pro 120gb x 1 , Intel 520 x 1 240gb , all fan were replaced with Scythe AP-15's with a Lamptron Fan controller LCD , Vantec 4 x SSD bay , Asus Xoner Essence STX , ATH-AD900 headphones , Dell 3011 30" 2560x1600 Screen, Ducky 9008 Shine 2 keyboard , G400s Mouse , Fractal Arc Midi V2

Last edited:
I've got the i5-4670K on an MSI Z87-GD65, currently cooling it with air, hoping to get it underwater this weekend (currently looking at the Antec Kuhler 620, fits into my budget). I've been tweaking a lot on my project box lately, so I haven't gotten a lot of time to push this guy too much. I bumped up the multiplier ever so slightly so I'm sitting at 3.6ghz, and my temps usually idle in the high 30's to low 40's. I had the chance to load up some BL2 last night and it never got over 56C on any of the cores. Since this is really all the testing I've done so far, I'm not entirely sure how these compare so far. If anyone has any info for me to compare my numbers to, let me know. Trying to get an idea of how things match up.

I would suggest ANYONE debating on getting the 4770k to hold off until Sept 4th 2013 which is just a few short months away. For the price of the x87 board and the 4770k CPU you can purchase the new Ivy bridge-e i7-4930K which should be $599 and maybe even cheaper. This CPU is also already confirmed to have solder and not the cheaper tim.

4930K release date source - http://www.anandtech.com/show/7088/rumors-on-ivy-bridgee-3-skus-september-release

The reason I would suggest people wait is that it will put them on a whole new level of performance. Not many here have had 4 channel memory, 6 cores, the cache, or any of the other features they will get.

Mostly upsides along with performance.

It's just a matter of waiting a few months and stacking your paper ( money ) until that date arrives.

When you do the math, all of you have spent the cash it would take to get the new 4930K. What's a few more hundred + dollars for a Motherboard? And if you don't want to spend more than $599, there is a new Ive bridge-e i7-4820K coming out that should be around $349. Add on x89 board and you should be around $600+, again, the same amount all of you have into this new 4770K and motherboard or close to it.

Seems many of you are disappointed in the performance, limitations and especially the heat with the 4770K. So, why not have a little patience, save a bit more money and have something you can really enjoy for a few years.

/2 cents

Last edited:
4770k fits my budget better. My total upgrade costs are alot less. I prefer no sotter used to be able to do bare die cooling.

4770k with delidding to me offers more fun at a much lower price.

The reason I would suggest people wait is that it will put them on a whole new level of performance. Not many here have had 4 channel memory, 6 cores, the cache, or any of the other features they will get.

Mostly upsides along with performance.

It's just a matter of waiting a few months and stacking your paper ( money ) until that date arrives.

When you do the math, all of you have spent the cash it would take to get the new 4930K. What's a few more hundred + dollars for a Motherboard? And if you don't want to spend more than $599, there is a new Ive bridge-e i7-4820K coming out that should be around $349. Add on x89 board and you should be around $600+, again, the same amount all of you have into this new 4770K and motherboard or close to it.

Seems many of you are disappointed in the performance, limitations and especially the heat with the 4770K. So, why not have a little patience, save a bit more money and have something you can really enjoy for a few years.

/2 cents

the difference between sandy and ivy was insignificant, and the difference between sandy-e and ivy-e will be significant again.

the difference from extra memory channels and speed is not noticeable anywhere.

you probably still need to go xeon for ECC.

there is almost no reason to buy sandy-e, and there will be equally no reason to buy ivy-e. you will fail to sell people something that is proven to be a poor value. and the people who want 4 video cards and 12 threads already know it and don't need your sales pitch.

I can't do the 1.2v with 46x multiplier but I can boot with 1.18v with 44x multiplier. Haven't done alot of stability testing at this setting but I have done a quick run of Intel Burn test and based on this test alone I can probably run any other application that I have (gaming mainly).

4p44770k.jpg

http://valid.canardpc.com/2853900

Last edited:
Last edited:
I must have the shittiest 4770K. Mine can't even do 4.4GHz at 1.3v. Freakin' BSOD 101 or 124 in Prime95 after a few hours.

My 3770K can do 4.5GHz with 1.173v. :(

+
I must have the shittiest 4770K. Mine can't even do 4.4GHz at 1.3v. Freakin' BSOD 101 or 124 in Prime95 after a few hours.

Bummer.

I'm not that happy with my 4770k either.

I'm still contemplating keeping it or not. Runs way to hot and delidding seems like my only hope to help improve temps but I don't want to keep it if it doesn't over clock well. I'd rather spend over $100 less and get a 4670k that will probably over clock better because it doesn't have hyper threading. Probably go with a 4670k till Intel fixes the hot bug on these and gets them to over clock better.

According to somebody at Asus a good quality 4770k can boot to OS with only 1.2v and mine will not quite do that. Mine is water cooled as well.

Last edited:

It's just the way the silicone lottery works. There are people out there that can do 5.0 with 1.3v (4770K). Good samples are out there, you win some, you lose some.

What are your settings? I was able to improve stability tremendously by changing LLC and a variety of other "less known" settings. I'm on an Asus board so I have no experience on what those settings are called in the ASRock bios.

Last edited:
+

Bummer.

I'm not that happy with my 4770k either.

I'm still contemplating keeping it or not. Runs way to hot and delidding seems like my only hope to help improve temps but I don't want to keep it if it doesn't over clock well. I'd rather spend over $100 less and get a 4670k that will probably over clock better because it doesn't have hyper threading. Probably go with a 4670k till Intel fixes the hot bug on these and gets them to over clock better.

According to somebody at Asus a good quality 4770k can boot to OS with only 1.2v and mine will not quite do that. Mine is water cooled as well.

You can always disable HT if heat is an issue but I don't think that will materially matter. The 4670K has heat issues of its own.

It's not a hot bug. The issue is the gap between the IHS and the core and to some extent, the tim (Intel actually uses good quality tim). Delidding shortens the gap between the core/IHS, plus you can replace intels tim with the best tim. Avg delidding temps reductions are around 15-20c. Mines is delidded and I've pushed 1.4v through this cpu in my quest for 5.0. Temps don't exceed 75C for me on my custom loop.

You can always disable HT if heat is an issue but I don't think that will materially matter. The 4670K has heat issues of its own.

It's not a hot bug. The issue is the gap between the IHS and the core and to some extent, the tim (Intel actually uses good quality tim). Delidding shortens the gap between the core/IHS, plus you can replace intels tim with the best tim. Avg delidding temps reductions are around 15-20c. Mines is delidded and I've pushed 1.4v through this cpu in my quest for 5.0. Temps don't exceed 75C for me on my custom loop.

I bought it with the plan to delid it if it is worthy. Right now the way it is behaving I don't think it is worthy enough to delid.

I think the 4670k will have a greater chance to reach 5ghz once delidded because it doesn't have the HT process going on plus its over $100 less.

In the past Intel has revised stepping on cpus to help them over clock better. I hope Intel revises the stepping to improve the over clock ability.

I bought it with the plan to delid it if it is worthy. Right now the way it is behaving I don't think it is worthy enough to delid.

I think the 4670k will have a greater chance to reach 5ghz once delidded because it doesn't have the HT process going on plus its over $100 less.

In the past Intel has revised stepping on cpus to help them over clock better. I hope Intel revises the stepping to improve the over clock ability.

What are you max clocks and volts? As you can see, it takes me 1.35v to even get 4.6 stable :eek: and can't get 4.7 even with 1.4v.

Talk about a crappy sample :(. If i didn't delid, I would be thermally limited at probably <4.4

Oh well, better luck next time.

What are you max clocks and volts? As you can see, it takes me 1.35v to even get 4.6 stable :eek: and can't get 4.7 even with 1.4v.

Talk about a crappy sample :(. If i didn't delid, I would be thermally limited at probably <4.4

Oh well, better luck next time.

Bummer.

According to Asus if 4770k boots to OS with only 1.2v the chip is high quality.

I think I got a bad chip and I don't want to delid it because its not worthy.

Also my IMC isn't doesn't seem any stronger than that of my 3770k. Nothing amazing going on with memory over clocks compared to my 3770k,

I think the 4670k will have a greater chance to reach 5ghz once delidded because it doesn't have the HT process going on
Why do you keep saying that a CPU without HT overclocks better than a CPU with HT?
Just disable HT and there wont be any difference between the 2 CPUs.
If you disable HT there wont be any HT process going on.

Using rig in sig, I'm running a 4770k @4.44 stable with 1.2v.

Sadly, it requires 1.3v for stability at 4.6+, which to me, wasn't worth the increase in temps.

Haven't had a chance to play around with alot of the settings. Just changed the multi, vcore offset and set ram to XMP.

Why do you keep saying that a CPU without HT overclocks better than a CPU with HT?
Just disable HT and there wont be any difference between the 2 CPUs.
If you disable HT there wont be any HT process going on.

At that point its smarter to just spend $100 less and go with 4670k.

Just to add to the general info, I picked up a 4670k at MC today (L310B443) with an Asrock 4Pro ($283 OTD).
Did nothing besides set the Bios overclock to 4ghz. CPU-Z says I am at 0.888 V and temps are maxed mid 50's while playing planetside2, (cpu intensive for what it's worth / using about 80% max on all cores). I am using a Xigmatek Gaia FYI. I'll run some prime 95 tomorrow to see where the temps go at 4ghz and walk it up from here. I was running my 2500k here and was completely happy but I needed a better system for my son so we could play together so he got the 2500k and I get this.

I have a 4770k from Microcenter and I'm using a Hyper 212 Evo.
I overclocked it to 4.3 GHz using the default OC settings Gigabyte has in the bios. It idles at under 30C and tops out at about 50C while gaming. I might OC higher, StarCraft 2 devours CPUs.

I have a 4770k from Microcenter and I'm using a Hyper 212 Evo.
I overclocked it to 4.3 GHz using the default OC settings Gigabyte has in the bios. It idles at under 30C and tops out at about 50C while gaming. I might OC higher, StarCraft 2 devours CPUs.

Gaming isn't a very good indication of how stable it is under load. Have your ran Prime95 with your over clock yet? Intel Burn Test? If so what are your temps under load?

Gaming isn't a very good indication of how stable it is under load. Have your ran Prime95 with your over clock yet? Intel Burn Test? If so what are your temps under load?

I ran Prime95 about 10 minutes. The highest the temps went was 82C, but they averaged around a 75C.

It's just the way the silicone lottery works. There are people out there that can do 5.0 with 1.3v (4770K). Good samples are out there, you win some, you lose some.

What are your settings? I was able to improve stability tremendously by changing LLC and a variety of other "less known" settings. I'm on an Asus board so I have no experience on what those settings are called in the ASRock bios.

I think ASRock's LLC is bugged because I get the same Vcore with any of them, no fluctuations at load.

So far the highest (stable) OC with this CPU is 4.2GHz 1.2v.

I ran Prime95 about 10 minutes. The highest the temps went was 82C, but they averaged around a 75C.

Give it about an hour. It'll begin to reach the peak temps around that time. I'm getting 78°C with my Corsair H110 which is a bit better than your Hyper 212 Evo.

Mine can't even do 4.3ghz at 1.32v, which was the highest I went. I need 1.245 volts for 4.2, and with LLC it's something like 1.268 volts total. I feel your pain. I've never seen such a large deviation from normal OCs for equipment that I bought, but I guess it's just luck of the draw. 1.25 volts is probably too much juice if I ever actually intend on doing something super intensive tbh, I can easily get up to 100 degrees celcius with the right stress tests running for awhile with an H100i. It seems to just hit 99 and throttle down a bit, though it's only super specific tests; even within prime95 it usually runs about 80 degrees, then it hits some specific test and shoots up to ~95-99 and then eventually decreases back to where it was.

Normal usage of WoW or Starcraft 2 maxes it out around 65 degrees, usually sitting around 45.

"I think ASRock's LLC is bugged because I get the same Vcore with any of them, no fluctuations at load."

I would not be surprised by that.
Been a little busy but P95 for 90 minutes at 4ghz and I hit 73C on one core. The voltage jumped from 0.888 to 0.896 on my Asrock Pro4. I am pretty happy so far, I know the AS5 I am using has to be past it's shelf life.

"I think ASRock's LLC is bugged because I get the same Vcore with any of them, no fluctuations at load."

I would not be surprised by that.
Been a little busy but P95 for 90 minutes at 4ghz and I hit 73C on one core. The voltage jumped from 0.888 to 0.896 on my Asrock Pro4. I am pretty happy so far, I know the AS5 I am using has to be past it's shelf life.

Are you using the latest version of cpuz? 1.65.0? If it isn't, then it is reporting the wrong voltage.

Back