45nm Chips?

Baker

2[H]4U
Anyone have some information on 45nm chips?

...also.... now that the PS3 is trying to push Cell CPU's... anyone know if AMD or Intel gonna try some sort of Cell CPU for the PC market? That way I don't have to worry about putting in a "physics card"

:confused:

One site I found... 45nm Chips in 08'

cell would be a bad plan for pcs.. not to mention it's an ibm chip, not amd.. and it's not x86.

I knew they were an IBM chip... but I wasn't sure if AMD had something in the works...

So much for being able to just upgrade your GPU every so often... I wonder if you would have to switch out everything // mobo/ram/etc // to be able to upgrade these fusion chips

You'll still be able to use external graphics for powering your display...

The graphics core in Fusion will have two uses.... The primary use will be as a SIMD accelerator, and the second use will be as a graphics accelerator for laptops and cheapo desktops.

If your a gamer, you'll still want to keep a PCIe card installed.

Check this out...
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,51_104_543~114147,00.html

The graphics core in conjunction with CTM means that any software (not just graphics) can be written to execute on it. So Fusion in conjuction with CTM will simply be the fastest GP processor on the market, by at least 1000% And that is a conservative guess.

The primary use will be as a SIMD accelerator [. . .]
I hope the day will come when we have stream processors standard on most CPUs. I've had the pleasure of doing a little GPU and cell programming, and the potential is really there. If this became standard hardware, really good developers would find incentive to work with and advance the technology.

I hope the day will come when we have stream processors standard on most CPUs. I've had the pleasure of doing a little GPU and cell programming, and the potential is really there. If this became standard hardware, really good developers would find incentive to work with and advance the technology.

Agreed. I think AMD needs to step it up a notch though, and get support built in to GCC and other compilers...

That should be AMD's top priority for CTM. I dont know if it is, but it should be.

AMD showcases 45 nm silicon
http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/31974/135/
By Wolfgang Gruener
Wednesday, May 09, 2007 15:15
Monterey (CA) – At an event held in Monterey today, AMD showed a wafer with “fully functional” 45 nm silicon for the first time.

According to chief technology officer Phil Hester, the 300 mm wafer code-named “Typhoon”, shown in public for the first time today, holds 45 nm dies combining SRAM and logic. The executive said that AMD’s 45 nm process is on track and recent notes from Intel that AMD is facing yield issues “are rubbish” and “wishful thinking on their side”.

The 300 mm wafers with 45 nm structures are expected to ramp in production at the end of 2007. First 45 nm processors are expected to be commercially available by mid of 200[8].
More details tome come.

Back