45,000 Downloads! Stop People!

BobTheSlob

Limp Gawd
SuprNova is reporting around 45,000 downloads of Doom 3! STOP FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!

Why do I know this? I admit, I was thinking of downloading Doom 3. But for id's sake, stop. 45,000 downloads? That's 2,475,000 dollars. That is an enourmous sum of money. You are DESTROYING this company and the people that work there.

I feel dirty for even considering downloading it, and I hope you guys do too.

Shame on all of us.

You know a lot of the people that are downloading it are going to buy it, right?

Your assumption that because 45,000 copies have been downloaded, if there wasn't a warez version, all those people would have bought 45,000 copies, is wrong.

i will honestly admit..i did d/l and start to play it
but at this moment i have 2 copies OF LEGIT DOOM3 sitting next to me here at my office...yes i went to bestbuy and bought to copies =]

I'm downloading it at home as we speak in case I couldn't get one soon enough (bodyslamming other geeks in BestBuy to get to the shelves before stock ran out, etc). BUT I also have 4 box copies sitting in my car that I just picked up on my lunch hour so I'll obviously be canceling it when I walk in the door. So make that 39,999 and I'm sure that number will continue to go down as people get their hands on the real deal.

BobTheSlob said:
SuprNova is reporting around 45,000 downloads of Doom 3! STOP FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!

Why do I know this? I admit, I was thinking of downloading Doom 3. But for id's sake, stop. 45,000 downloads? That's 2,475,000 dollars. That is an enourmous sum of money. You are DESTROYING this company and the people that work there.

I feel dirty for even considering downloading it, and I hope you guys do too.

Shame on all of us.

Kind of a hypocritical post you got there… :rolleyes:

There aren't any stores around here sellling them yet (East Bay, SF). Walmart, Best Buy, Circuit City, and the EBgames don't have them in yet. WTF I'm about to freaking download it :(

u got to buy anyway for online play. regardless of the fact theyre still make their millions of dollars.
;)

ever thought of the following situations.

1. people who are downloading it are just trying to figure out if it will run well enough on there machine to even bother buying it.
2. or there local store is goin to be sold out till the next shipment and they just want it until then.

Blackwind said:
There isn't anything hypocritical in admitting you were tempted.

haha, there is when chances are he is downloading it himself ;)

not that I really think that or anything, but yeah.

I downloaded it..... So what... I was also at bestbuy last night and i bought 2 copies of the game and had both autographed. There is no way in hell im going to just go out and buy a game without a demo or something. I see nothing wrong with what I did. I downloaded the game. Yes, but I also bought 2 copies of it and trust me im not the only one who did that so in reality only probably 10k ppl aren't going to buy it and that is a preaty damn good ratio.

-Alex-

Good thinking.

I'll just steal money from the bank, yah know, to see if its compatiable with my wallet.

Its illegal and any excuses you use to justify it are void.

Wait for the demo.

Technically yes, technically no. A big part of crime is intent. What if I accidently walked out a store forgetting to pay for a stick of gum. So I took it back. Did I steal it? Technically yes. Did I rectify it thereby completely annulling what I did? Basically. I won't be distributing Doom3, I won't keep a downloaded copy if I have the real thing. So therefore, I ain't a thief. :) Its the old theory vs reality deal. Bad analogy by the way with the money thing, and I know bad analogies (see above). :p

eh...I played the pirated version first. Buddy came into work with it and asked if I would like to have. I said sure, because i knew i would have my real copy tomarrow.

And to the guy who said this is the same thing as stealing money from the bank, its not.

BoK said:
Good thinking.

I'll just steal money from the bank, yah know, to see if its compatiable with my wallet.

Its illegal and any excuses you use to justify it are void.

Wait for the demo.

Invalid and illogical comparison. Everyone knows money fits in their wallet. Piracy is as it always was, and life goes on.

well you are just screwing id and others for this game for downloading..... and screw online play if there is...and all the crazy mods for online play.. where you need the key..

TheTyrant said:
well you are just screwing id and others for this game for downloading..... and screw online play if there is...and all the crazy mods for online play.. where you need the key..

Eh? Paying attention?

im really suprised this hasnt been locked yet, at least take the website out of your post so that the people reading this dont see where to get it. but i will comment on how i really do think its wrong that ppl are dling such a great game which is id's biggest money maker, all i can say is we will wait and see how well tey made out on the doom3 sales soon enough

Activision won't say of the 60,000 copies stolen, 50,000 purchased the game. They will say "We know of 60,000 copies downloaded illegally, and those 60,000 all made 10 copies for their friends". So Doom 3 has to also overcome the money lost due to piracy. The way to do this is to increase the price. Offsetting the losses because of piracy is probably why Doom 3 is one of the more expensive PC games.

Hmm... most widely anticipated game of all time so far... $19.99? $29.99? 39.99? Activision knows business. If one of my friends downloads it with the intent to pirate and not buy, I will personally give them a virus. But a huge hit game is going to sell for the higher end of the standard pricing for games, period. Common sense. If you can make x amount of dollars and people will buy it, you do it.

I don't see the problem with downloading it IF you intend to buy a copy or as I did bought a copy missed the post and got stuck waiting 24 hours till I could pick up at the local depot so I downloaded it (Only took 2 hours on cable).

I also sometimes use nocd cracks because I like to keep my games filled away and going through them all the time to find the cd for something that is fully installed just bugs me.

I fully understand not wanting to wait for you copy from EBgames to arrive... grrrrr.

ya i dled it and played it for like 10 minutes last night just to see how it would run and then this morning i went to gamestop and got it at 10.. i paid my full 60 for this game because the developers deserve every damn dime for it!

-warsaw

If I own the game (Doom III), and I download it, then it really doesn't matter. For all the people that have the game, or will be buying the game, then it doesn't make a difference to ID software at all.

If I rob a bank (Like the person talking about "incompatable money" said), the money is gone. I stole something physical, and the bank lost money over it. However, downloading a copy of a game which you already own (Or will own in a few hours), doesn't hurt them one bit.

Also, you can figure, not all of those people downloading it would have bought the game anyway. The only time I would pirate something is if I never would have bought it anyway. In that case, the company loses no money.

Disregarding any legal stuff, if you're gonna download it to test it out, then buy it, or your bought copy isn't ready, that's okay with me. What matters is that id spent 4 or 5 YEARS on this game and it is their pride and joy. $55 is a lot of money, yes, but it's nothing we can't spare for this game. And while I trust many to have bought it, there are going to be at least a thousand or two (if not tens of thousands) that will NOT give id what it deserves. This is just plain wrong. In the past you might have been ripping off some huge corporation like Microsoft, but id cares about the gaming community, and have put a huge amount of personal work into gaming as a whole.

Now get off the forums, out to a retailer, and disappear with your new copy of Doom 3 for a week or so. That is an order to all of you (and me) :D

why are you complaining only about Doom3? Look at the hundreds of other games around, and know that many thousands more have downloaded those games over time as well.

RS3RS said:
If I own the game (Doom III), and I download it, then it really doesn't matter. For all the people that have the game, or will be buying the game, then it doesn't make a difference to ID software at all.

If I rob a bank (Like the person talking about "incompatable money" said), the money is gone. I stole something physical, and the bank lost money over it. However, downloading a copy of a game which you already own (Or will own in a few hours), doesn't hurt them one bit.

Also, you can figure, not all of those people downloading it would have bought the game anyway. The only time I would pirate something is if I never would have bought it anyway. In that case, the company loses no money.

Now THATS a good analogy.

RS3RS said:
The only time I would pirate something is if I never would have bought it anyway. In that case, the company loses no money.

I agree with that right there also. If I am not even considering of buying a game but I see it and want to dl it and try it, I will dl it and try it. Usually this only applies to games that aren't multiplayer though. Anyways, Doom 3 is a game that I was planning on buying, so I bought it and they made money.

-warsaw

I suppose you don't have any mp3's on your system that you didn't pay for? Or a copy of a movie someone loaned you on vhs?

a thief is a thief... reguardless of whether it's intellectual property or the actuall product off the shelf at a store.

downloading it is a crime... it's all about the morality of the person.

Stuff.jpg

mike27.jpg

x2.JPG

Stuff.jpg

mike27.jpg

x2.JPG

Stuff.jpg

mike27.jpg

x2.JPG

HELLO
Stuff.jpg

mike27.jpg

x2.JPG

check your eula. You cant steal something you allready own. Even Microsoft doesnt care how you got the software as long as you have payed for a liscence.

Thats just fucking nasty.....been reported.

[RIP]Zeus said:
i will honestly admit..i did d/l and start to play it
but at this moment i have 2 copies OF LEGIT DOOM3 sitting next to me here at my office...yes i went to bestbuy and bought to copies =]

why 2 copies?

A lot of the downloads are from people who preordered and couldn't wait the 2 or 3 days till they could pick up their copy, but went to the store when it was released to buy it anyways. The rest are by people who never buy games anyways. Its just expected, nothing can be done about it, you're not going to change their minds, they just do it.

Back