4400 x2 install problem

Ub3rn00b

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm using an ASUS A8n SLI motherboard with Corsair XMS 1 GB pc3200 ram. With my 3500+ amd processor, everything works fine. When I put in my new 4400 x2 processor, i get no video output and I get "system failed memory test" from the voice announcement. Anyone have any ideas?

In the CMOS, set the voltage and speeds of the memory and cpu back to default before putting the new CPU in.
If that fails, reset the CMOS.

Check for BIOS updates, you may have an old BIOS that doesnt support x2.

i already have the latest bios update...and resetting the clocks and voltages back to defaults didn't change anything... :(

reset the cmos.
Try quite a few times as some boards are really resistant to being reset.
To make sure, remove the battery overnight.

well i found the problem..i had some bent pins on the cpu...wasn't seated all the way...after 30 minutes of fixing pins i'm in business...thanks

Have you installed the x2 support software update from the amd website?? Do that before you install the cpu.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_13118,00.html

'AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor Driver for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Version (x86 and x64 exe) 1.3.2.16

llows the system to automatically adjust the CPU speed, voltage and power combination that match the instantaneous user performance need. Download this Setup Installation program (EXE) to automatically update all the files necessary for installation. This package is recommended for users whom desire a graphical user interface for installation. This .EXE driver is a user friendly localized software installation of the driver designed for end-users. This driver supports AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core processors on Windows XP SP2, Windows 2003 SP1 x84 and x64 Editions.'

Lol, oh. Thought I'd solved the million dollar question, oh well lol.
:D

Back