44.5M New Malware Variants Recorded In 1 Month

HardOCP News

[H] News
Forty four million new malware variants in one month? Holy hell! :eek:

A freshly released report from Symantec about the state of malware risks identified in the month of May informs that cybercriminals were highly active, creating no less than 44.5 million new versions of threats. The figure sets a new high this year and it represents an increase of more than 50% compared to the previous month, when the company’s system recorded 29.2 million new threats.

Self recompiling polymorphic code. Gotta love it.

Don't see any other way that this is possible.

Symantec keeping things scary so that they can stay in business :)

^ I'm guessing this is closer to the truth.

Honestly though, now would be a great time to get into the security business. Join the fear mongering bandwagon and make a ton of money!

^ I'm guessing this is closer to the truth.

Honestly though, now would be a great time to get into the security business. Join the fear mongering bandwagon and make a ton of money!

Haha, so should I fulfill my curiosity and make a sample of polymorphic self recompiling code and then post it on sourceforge or github?

Basically each time a program like that is run, it makes a new version of itself.

Gotta keep giving the malware kiddies something to work with, right?

It was highly amusing to follow the link and see that only OS X is mentioned on the page...;) I guess they know that OS X users are easier to manipulate with FUD, perhaps...;) Kind of refreshing, though, not to see the usual remarks about "Winbloze"...:D

LOL. Top 10 are Mac OS X malware. Where's the 'Mac doesn't get malware' crowd when you need them? :p

thanks. good article on small businesses. often they know who to contact with only a few keys to the castle to play with. some small business I have helped the main owner/employee also helps manage the email accounts which were used to send money to india to help a friend they didnt know or have never met but preyed on people with a big heart to "send money" (click this link, give us this info etc).

The other thing that makes it easier is those business owners need to make it so they have niche websites to sell their services. People can then use google to find their address, dob, other info and then use it to access other accounts alongside info from phishing.

karma is a b, dont be a db.

It was highly amusing to follow the link and see that only OS X is mentioned on the page...;) I guess they know that OS X users are easier to manipulate with FUD, perhaps...;) Kind of refreshing, though, not to see the usual remarks about "Winbloze"...:D

Yeah, no. :p

LOL. Top 10 are Mac OS X malware. Where's the 'Mac doesn't get malware' crowd when you need them? :p

Right here. In the 30+ years I've been a Mac user the only "malware" i've seen was a Microsoft Office Macro virus 20+ years ago. I've cleaned up countless Windows machines though. Made up numbers and laboratory settings aren't exactly "in the wild", and if you have to sit in front of my computer to do it I will kick your ass! :D

The truth is that if you believe it then you are not prepared and malware goes undetected. There are a few free av for macs get it. Pcs do have issues and users are there own worst enamies.

I tried to go to the article page on symantec.com with noscript enabled and this is what i got:

ZQobrXM.png

Attack vector #1

Back