4340 to 4790?

Would it be worthwhile to upgrade from a 4340 to the 4790? Or should I wait and see if I can grab a 4790K? Is the K that much better than the regular 4790?

lol, what mean worthwhile for you?.. the only fact that you will be jumping from a 2 cores 4 threads chip to a 4 cores 8 threads chip its enough worthwhile for me.. what will be the usage of the processor?.. because the differences can be gargantuan in heavy multithreaded work scenarios to a big difference in gaming....

the 4790K its 500mhz higher clocked than the 4790 and that for gaming its paying itself the money as those are binned chips to overclock, but the 4790 have certain virtualization instructions and features that the K models does not have (thanks god intel added again vt-d and tsx to the 4790K as it was part of the removed features of the K models until the 4770K). anyway all depend on the usage you will be giving to the chip..

The raw clockspeed of the 4790k is worth it even if you don't OC. Especially since it's ~the same price as the 4790 non-k. The only reason to get the non-k is if you need vt-d. Vt-d isn't added on 4790k only vt-x (but TSX is there).

Hmm...I was just going by the instruction sets listed in CPU-Z, but I guess I trust Intel over CPUID.

Back