43" TV as pc monitor-- TCL 43s405 vs. Samsung UN43MU6300. AMA

Kdawg

[H]ard|Gawd
Just got both TV's this week.
Bought the TCL from Target, Samsung from walmart.
TCL $330, SAMSUNG $430.

Tested with www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ with all enhancements disabled.

First big fact.....

The Samsung 43 has an IPS/PLS panel made by BOE HV430QUB-N4A. RGB subpixel. Rtings.com mu6300 review does not apply here.
TCL has a VA panel made by AUO. Not sure what model. BGR subpixel. Pixel response time is noticeably slower than samsung.

So of course, the Samsung has grey blacks, but no color shifting. Even looking from a near-right angle.
Samsung appears to be edge-lit, as I can see light trails shooting up from the bottom when the background is black, and something white is displayed. So this is like your typical budget IPS monitor.

TCL has deeper blacks. but washes out quickly at an angle. As with other VA panels, darker grays shift in brightness when you move your head. IPS PLS does not.

Full array backlight on TCL.
Also, there is a screen door effect (fine vertical lines between pixels) on moving objects, and when you move your head. This makes the screen look cheap.
Samsung doesn't have the screen door effect.

Judder.... Samsung has more noticeable judder when playing 24p movies on PC. It does not allow judder correction in PC mode. TCL seems to have judder correction on all modes, so movies play a bit smoother.

mirroring both TVs, both have almost identical low input lag. The TCL has just a hair more input lag, detectable when scrolling with mouse, but both are quick.

Brightness.... I have both TV's cranked up to max brightness, and the TCL actually looks brighter when comparing a fully white screen.
Compared to my 300nits laptop screen, the TCL is like 10nits lower, and the Samsung is maybe 20 nits lower than the TCL. So both TCL and Samsung are in the 250-300 nits range.

Dirty screen effect.... TCL has very noticeable, much worse dirty screen as shown in pics below.

Colors on both TVs are set to neutral. No unrealistic radioactive color settings.
And based on this, the TCL picture quality for still images looks slightly better because better contrast. But the colors on both TVs are about the same when looking straight at screen.

TCL Roku control panel is a lot slicker than Samsung's own Smart UI.
TCL also has the Roku phone app which allows you to tweak the colors an infinite number of ways, whereas Samsung limits you to 2-point white balance.

PC mode is much better on TCL. It wakes up very fast from sleep mode. All you have to do is press an arrow button on the remote, and it instantly pops back into the computer desktop.
Samsung has a much poorer pc handshake. Once your pc goes to sleep and the tv turns off, it takes ~10 seconds for samsung to get back to desktop. For 10 seconds, it doesn't know your pc is connected, and then you press the Home button the remote a few times, and finally your pc desktop loads.

For me, the screendoor effect and washed out picture /shifting brightness of darker images at an angle are big dealbreakers for the TCL, With a fully black screen, the black levels on the TCL are slightly deeper than the Samsung, but still not super black. I like the super fast slick roku interface of the TCL, but it is not enough to overcome the flaws.

Samsung is just slightly dimmer max brightness, less deep blacks, but maintains color at wide angles, and has better pixel response time.
Because I don't look at dark images most of the time, I'm inclined to keep the Samsung instead of the TCL.

Anything else you want me to test.... just ask, and I'll update this post.

ZOFwPUq.jpg

egWc0G5.jpg

----------------------------
Comparison pics were taken with the same manual settings- iso, aperture, shutter. in a dark room.

Samsung shows typical IPS blacks. TCL is just a shade darker, but not pitch black.
OoDUaaf.jpg

Dirty screen effect. Samsung is more even.
m5dyrR2.jpg

nSvk6Ov.jpg

You can kind of see Samsung max brightness is just a shade dimmer than TCL, but still bright enough for regular PC use.
yr8exi3.jpg

aeGltH1.jpg

TCL color washes out quick
q6bT9eY.jpg

Last edited:
Just got both TV's this week.

First big fact.....

The Samsung 43 has an IPS/PLS panel. RGB subpixel. Rtings.com mu6300 review does not apply here.
TCL has a VA panel. BGR subpixel. Pixel response time is noticeably slower than samsung.

Why do you say that the rtings.com review does not apply?

One thing that I remember about rtings.com is that they said that the viewing angles for the MU6300 are not good. I thought it had good viewing angles.

rtings only reviews one size for each model. So things like contrast ratio, viewing angle, etc. can be different especially if some sizes are IPS and others are VA. Other things, like lag, are more consistent across sizes.

Why do you say that the rtings.com review does not apply?

One thing that I remember about rtings.com is that they said that the viewing angles for the MU6300 are not good. I thought it had good viewing angles.

rtings mu6300 review is based on the 55 inch, which has a VA panel.

This 43 inch has a ips/pls with much worse contrast ratio.

Viewing angle on a lot of VA panels is not good, as going 10 degrees left or right of center, the contrast starts to shift lighter, making the image washed out a little.

Even though VA panels are a shade darker in blacks when looking straight at the screen, once you move your head to the side, even the black shifts to a lighter shade.

IPS honestly looks fine in a day-lit room. They only look slightly worse in a dark room.

Last edited:
maybe, maybe not.

Rtings only reviews one size in the line up. According to that review, they bought the 55".
It's possible the 43" has always had an IPS panel, and never a VA panel.
I read somewhere that the predecessor 43ku6300 also had an IPS panel.

If you think your PC monitor is bad for a dark room, then this would be as well.

Sorry for being late on this, but can you say anything on the color accuracy and/or color gamut the Samsung is capable of displaying? Is it better or worse than the TCL? Also, are the corners of the TCL's VA panel significantly desaturated when using it as a monitor up close, and would you consider it bad enough to where IPS would be preferred? If so, would you say this is the best IPS TV in its price range for use as a PC monitor?

I would also be curious, trying to sell my 2 monitors and want a single 40-50inch TV as a display, lots of web browsing and gaming...

Keep in mind that the RTINGs review DOES apply to all of the other MU series TVs EXCEPT the 43".

And as an owner of a 50" MU series (UN50MU6070) I will tell you that the pixel response time is... abysmal. In fact, it's noticeably worse than the JU series from two years prior. (Speaking of the UN50JU6500 specifically). I'm almost tempted to grab the 43" MU just to check out the pixel response time and see if it's better.

I picked up a UN43MU6300. It also appears to have an IPS panel, but it is definitely BGR subpixel layout. So far no major complaints, it gets brighter than I expected based on reviews. There is one thing I don't really care for on it, and it's the anti-glare layer. It appears to be semi-gloss, but it's as grainy as a fully matte screen. Its level of graininess is very similar to the decade-old Dell 2007FP I have at work. In contrast, the Sharp LC-43N6100U (Hisense) I have on my wife's machine has a much smoother appearing anti-glare layer, although the two screens look virtually identical when off. It's by no means a deal killer for me, but someone who dislikes matte screens for the graininess probably won't like the MU6300.

I picked up a UN43MU6300. It also appears to have an IPS panel, but it is definitely BGR subpixel layout. So far no major complaints, it gets brighter than I expected based on reviews. There is one thing I don't really care for on it, and it's the anti-glare layer. It appears to be semi-gloss, but it's as grainy as a fully matte screen. Its level of graininess is very similar to the decade-old Dell 2007FP I have at work. In contrast, the Sharp LC-43N6100U (Hisense) I have on my wife's machine has a much smoother appearing anti-glare layer, although the two screens look virtually identical when off. It's by no means a deal killer for me, but someone who dislikes matte screens for the graininess probably won't like the MU6300.

really? I remember the 43mu6300 being RGB layout. If you go to http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/subpixel.php, is the BGR text the sharpest?

really? I remember the 43mu6300 being RGB layout. If you go to http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/subpixel.php, is the BGR text the sharpest?

Yep, definitely BGR. I could see the subpixels through a lens, but the lagon test confirms BGR.
IMG_6724.JPG
Not sure if I have the BOE panel or not, I don't know how to get to the service menu with the stock remote. I feel like it's definitely IPS though. Colors don't desaturate from the sides nearly as much as my Sharp/Hisense 43".

Yep, definitely BGR. I could see the subpixels through a lens, but the lagon test confirms BGR.
View attachment 62928
Not sure if I have the BOE panel or not, I don't know how to get to the service menu with the stock remote. I feel like it's definitely IPS though. Colors don't desaturate from the sides nearly as much as my Sharp/Hisense 43".

very interesting.
Since you say it's brighter than expected, I think you def don't have a BOE panel.

Also, IPS should not desaturate "nearly as much".
It should not desaturate at all.
It gets a little dimmer from the side, but the colors are still rich and saturated, especially pictures of grass.
If they actually lose any saturation from the side, you might have a VA panel maybe.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/mu6300

Note that review specifically says "except 43inch model".

As it happens I am looking for a 43inch 4K monitor myself and with the prices on smaller "PC displays" through the roof a TV "monitor" it is! COSTCO has a "UN43MU6290FXZA" on sale for $329. The model number is slightly different, how much difference is this likely to make in the display? Is this perhaps just a COSTCO specific number or are there likely to be differences I'd notice. My intent is for this to replace two 27inch Korean IPS monitors or more likely supplement them. I'll drive this with a 1070Ti and I don't play many FPS type games, I actually run these monitors at 60hz and have never noticed. World of Tanks is about as fast action as I've gotten of late.

Good choice or are there better choices? Text quality is important to me but I'm not doing development or much in the way of docs or spreadsheets. I do watch YouTube and VLC videos but have nothing 4K HDR YET. Sale ends on the 1st but I'd heard 2018 stuff is about to come out, will I regret this?

very interesting.
Since you say it's brighter than expected, I think you def don't have a BOE panel.

Also, IPS should not desaturate "nearly as much".
It should not desaturate at all.
It gets a little dimmer from the side, but the colors are still rich and saturated, especially pictures of grass.
If they actually lose any saturation from the side, you might have a VA panel maybe.

Being Samsung with its panel lottery, I may very well have gotten one with VA panel.
From my seating distance, the sides definitely look less saturated than the center. Here's two comparison shots where you can see the difference in saturation between center and the sides, when photographed with camera in the center about 2ft away.
IMG_6726-sm.jpg IMG_6727-sm.jpg

I did notice it has less glow on an all-black screen than my Sharp/Hisense which I know has a VA panel. I expected more glow from IPS, so very well I could have gotten a VA version.
What is the version number of the IPS versions? Mine is AA04 with manufacture date Nov 2017. When I Google this specific to MU6300, I find nothing. When I Google Samsung and AA04, I see other models of TVs with AA04 have AUO S-MVA panels. I'll have to see if I can get ahold of a universal remote with Samsung codes as then I should be able to get into service menu which should confirm AUO or BOE.

nov 17 is new production. My test unit was August 17. I would take a VA over that BOE panel, which was kinda mediocre.

That green and red def looks less saturated at an angle.

Check out my balloon girl viewing angle in the first post and compare yours.... Samsung BOE vs TCL AUO.

Here's the balloon girl pic... https://i.imgur.com/V63YGYm.jpg

View it from farther back, and more extreme side angle. IPS maintains balloon colors and contrast.

Last edited:
Note that review specifically says "except 43inch model".

As it happens I am looking for a 43inch 4K monitor myself and with the prices on smaller "PC displays" through the roof a TV "monitor" it is! COSTCO has a "UN43MU6290FXZA" on sale for $329. The model number is slightly different, how much difference is this likely to make in the display? Is this perhaps just a COSTCO specific number or are there likely to be differences I'd notice. My intent is for this to replace two 27inch Korean IPS monitors or more likely supplement them. I'll drive this with a 1070Ti and I don't play many FPS type games, I actually run these monitors at 60hz and have never noticed. World of Tanks is about as fast action as I've gotten of late.

Good choice or are there better choices? Text quality is important to me but I'm not doing development or much in the way of docs or spreadsheets. I do watch YouTube and VLC videos but have nothing 4K HDR YET. Sale ends on the 1st but I'd heard 2018 stuff is about to come out, will I regret this?

6290 is not costco specific.

you won't regret buying it, though $329 is kinda 'regular retail' at this point.

2018 models will likely be the same rebadges, without the big discount. You'll be overpaying.

nov 17 is new production. My test unit was August 17. I would take a VA over that BOE panel, which was kinda mediocre.

That green and red def looks less saturated at an angle.

Check out my balloon girl viewing angle in the first post and compare yours.... Samsung BOE vs TCL AUO.

Here's the balloon girl pic... https://i.imgur.com/V63YGYm.jpg

View it from farther back, and more extreme side angle. IPS maintains balloon colors and contrast.

For some reason, Firefox won't load your balloon girl pic. I was able to find her using Google Images reverse search though. Nothing wrong with your link, it worked in Chrome, but I didn't think to try Chrome until after I'd already taken the pics.

My results look a lot more like your TCL. The red balloon on top is very pink from an angle. I must have the AUO VA version, which explains why it isn't as dim as I expected, and black screen glow not as bright as I expected.
IMG_6728-sm.jpg IMG_6733-sm.jpg

I'm quite pleased with this VA version overall, but now I'm very curious how it compares to the IPS version side-by-side. Gotta love Samsung panel lottery.

I've been thinking about getting a 43" tv, also. Does anyone have experience with the sony KD43X720E?

Question you have to ask yourself is: how often, if ever, are you going to watch your TV/monitor at such extreme side angles? I sit about 2 feet from my 40" Samsung (MU7000 VA). The colors are bright and vibrant, with deep blacks. I work, play games, watch movies, etc. I'm always directly in front of the TV, so I don't see any color fading on either side. I used to be IPS exclusive for my computer monitor, but now prefer VA with these 4K TVs.

As for waiting on the 2018 models, they should be coming out in April/May. I'll be looking to see if there are any solid improvements worth the upgrade from what I have now. If not, I'm fine waiting until 2019. If you buy now, just get one from a place with at least 30-day returns. I bought mine from Crutchfield, a few weeks ago. They offer 60-day returns, so it'll be easy to swap mine for a 2018 model if I find something better.

Hello there people, noob here. I was wondering if you could recommend the samsung 43 6300, or 6100 as it is here in the UK. I recently bought a sony x800d and aside from the tv being incredible, it had huge amounts of clouding, which disrupted the viewin experience, espcially at night. I heard that the 43 inch has ips panel. Does that mean it really does have terrible blacks and contrast? Can someone tell me in depth how it is for black levels, colour, contrast and for gaming. Also, if the HDR is at least better than no HDR

I'm quite pleased with this VA version overall, but now I'm very curious how it compares to the IPS version side-by-side. Gotta love Samsung panel lottery.

Yep your photo confirms VA.
I know samsung uses AUO and chimei. You would have to unscrew the back panel to be certain, but it really doesn't matter as long as you like the image quality.

Hello there people, noob here. I was wondering if you could recommend the samsung 43 6300, or 6100 as it is here in the UK. I recently bought a sony x800d and aside from the tv being incredible, it had huge amounts of clouding, which disrupted the viewin experience, espcially at night. I heard that the 43 inch has ips panel. Does that mean it really does have terrible blacks and contrast? Can someone tell me in depth how it is for black levels, colour, contrast and for gaming. Also, if the HDR is at least better than no HDR

The IPS used by Samsung is kinda below average. Dark shades of colors get muddied

For example, at the end credits of this video, the dark sand in the foreground loses tons of detail on the IPS samsung.

Question you have to ask yourself is: how often, if ever, are you going to watch your TV/monitor at such extreme side angles? I sit about 2 feet from my 40" Samsung (MU7000 VA). The colors are bright and vibrant, with deep blacks. I work, play games, watch movies, etc. I'm always directly in front of the TV, so I don't see any color fading on either side. I used to be IPS exclusive for my computer monitor, but now prefer VA with these 4K TVs.

As for waiting on the 2018 models, they should be coming out in April/May. I'll be looking to see if there are any solid improvements worth the upgrade from what I have now. If not, I'm fine waiting until 2019. If you buy now, just get one from a place with at least 30-day returns. I bought mine from Crutchfield, a few weeks ago. They offer 60-day returns, so it'll be easy to swap mine for a 2018 model if I find something better.

We were just looking at side angles to confirm whether the panel was IPS or VA.

I too like VA for daily tasks. I almost always sit directly in front of the screen, and even if I occasionally watch videos from diagonally across the room, I don't mind the desaturation.

I don't think budget 4k's will get any major updates besides response time and software and rebadging.

Sounds like waiting jussssst a little bit longer might be smart. I need to do a desktop build anyway but finally have a video card that can drive a big monitor or three so am antsy but I'll wait. Going with a panel about 43-49 just seems smartest right now ands I appreciate the advice!

Great post Kdawg. Thanks for the info. I almost bit on the TCL 43s405, AMZ has it for $279. VS the 40-43" 4K monitors I have been eyeballing (Philips, Acer) at $450+. But I think I'll keep waiting... my 1440p monitors will have to keep on keepin' on for now. Plus I don't have a 1080ti for 4k gaming anyway. I sure would like to check out Civ in 4k though.

Hey do either of these TV's support an in between resolution, like 1440p? I know some 4K TV's in the past have been able to do this, even if not really advertised.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I've already tested the 43s515/517 sdie by side with the 43s405. It has pretty much identical performance as the 43s405. It still has the same lcd flaws, e.g. dirty screen effect. both use some AUO panel.
Aesthetically, the 517 might be more pleasing with a 50% reduction in bezel size, but I don't care for that shit.

The rtings review is not a good comparison because they tested the 43" s405, and the 55" s517, both of which use different panels.

Taking that into consideration, I would definitively give the 43" a higher pc monitor score than the 55" s517, because the 43" does not suffer from static dithering of the 55", which makes it look like newspaper print under a magnifying glass. as shown in images attached....

ddd.jpg tc.jpg

Yep, rtings only tests one size and different sizes can have totally different performance!

Sadly 43" is becoming the new minimal size of most UHD TVs. I have a 40" KU7000 but I think Samsung (and other TV makers) no longer make that size. So in case I want to upgrade in future, 43" would push my speakers a bit off the edge of my desk. Guess I would have to look at 40" monitors which are much more expensive than TVs.

Sadly 43" is becoming the new minimal size of most UHD TVs. I have a 40" KU7000 but I think Samsung (and other TV makers) no longer make that size. So in case I want to upgrade in future, 43" would push my speakers a bit off the edge of my desk. Guess I would have to look at 40" monitors which are much more expensive than TVs.
Samsung MU7000 and NU7100 are available in 40" size.

Sadly 43" is becoming the new minimal size of most UHD TVs.

Not many good ones smaller than 49". And I fear this will move to 55" soon.

Although an 8K 55" monitor would be cool in some ways. Big though!

Back