420 Watt PSU with a 260GTX?

spicey

Supreme [H]ardness
I currently have a 420 watt Enermax Noisetaker PSU. The 12v rails are rated 29amps. One rail 15 amps the second 14 amps.

Would this cope with a 260GTX or is it upgrade time?

Honestly, I don't think so. I mean, maybe a Corsair 450VX would be the least to be used with a GTX card, but.. I could be wrong. Don't take me for granted yet.

Honestly, I don't think so. I mean, maybe a Corsair 450VX would be the least to be used with a GTX card, but.. I could be wrong. Don't take me for granted yet.

I think you may be correct. Just looking at Tomshardware and the 260GTX seems to pull over 200 watts alone in taxing games. My trusty Enermax Noisetaker could be set for retirement!

I do know that the 500-watt Enermax Liberty is perfectly capable of it though. If I were to recommend you a power supply, it'd either be a Silverstone/Corsair/Thermaltake Toughpower series, but what's your budget?

I do know that the 500-watt Enermax Liberty is perfectly capable of it though. If I were to recommend you a power supply, it'd either be a Silverstone/Corsair/Thermaltake Toughpower series, but what's your budget?

Thanks.

Around £70, so about $130. I like the look of the Corsair 620W HX Modular. Seems to be quiet and has 3 12v rails at 50 amps.

Only thing is, I need to be careful if the cabling will reach in my case. The PSU is in lower chamber and needs to reach round the back and to the top of the case. I better check out the P180 threads.

I think you may be correct. Just looking at Tomshardware and the 260GTX seems to pull over 200 watts alone in taxing games. My trusty Enermax Noisetaker could be set for retirement!
a GTX260 does not quite pull 200 watts by itself.

Thanks.

Around £70, so about $130. I like the look of the Corsair 620W HX Modular. Seems to be quiet and has 3 12v rails at 50 amps.

Only thing is, I need to be careful if the cabling will reach in my case. The PSU is in lower chamber and needs to reach round the back and to the top of the case. I better check out the P180 threads.
My Dad has the P180 and Corsair 620 modular and didn't have any issues.

Lots of people have the Corsair HX series PSUs in P180/182 cases with no problems. I think any new or recent PSUs that come out are designed with long cables in mind. My Antec NeoHE 550 has long enough cables for the P180 series cases and it's a couple years old.

Thanks. I can see from the P180 thread that quite a few people have this combination.

It would seem that the ceiling wattage under load for this card is 184watts. The amp rating is recommended to be 36v across the 12v rails. My current PSU basically is not good enough

The amp rating is recommended to be 36v across the 12v rails.

Is that for just the videocard? or total?

so like you should be having 36 amps availible to the videocard??....soooo like if my psu has multiple 18amp rails...each 6 pin PCI-e plug should be on its own rail?...or is it ok if they are on the same?

Is that for just the videocard? or total?

so like you should be having 36 amps availible to the videocard??....soooo like if my psu has multiple 18amp rails...each 6 pin PCI-e plug should be on its own rail?...or is it ok if they are on the same?

The EVGA site say 36amps on the 12v rails so I'm presuming its just the card!

Requirements
Minimum of a 500 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 36 Amp Amps.)

http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=896-P3-1266-AR&family=GeForce GTX 200 Series Family

The EVGA site say 36amps on the 12v rails so I'm presuming its just the card!

Requirements
Minimum of a 500 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 36 Amp Amps.)

http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=896-P3-1266-AR&family=GeForce GTX 200 Series Family
NO its NOT just for the card. when they list power supply requirements its always for the entire system. it also greatly exaggerated to compensate for a wide variety of setups. for example the 4670 has a 400-450 watt recommendation when in reality a basic dual core setup with one hard drive and dvd could easily get by with a 300watt psu with plenty of room to spare. I ran my 4670 in a comp with e7300 2.66ghz cpu, 4 gigs ram and under FULL SYSTEM LOAD the entire pc only pulled 124 watts at the wall. that means it wasnt even pulling but about 100 actual watts at the psu.

NO its just for the card. when they list power supply requirements its always for the entire system.

to me that sentence is contrudicting itself....first you say its just the card, and then you say entire system,,, or maybe im not reading it right...

But I think when they list the power requirements for the card, they are exaggerating the requirements, and for the entire system correct?

to me that sentence is contrudicting itself....first you say its just the card, and then you say entire system,,, or maybe im not reading it right...

But I think when they list the power requirements for the card, they are exaggerating the requirements, and for the entire system correct?
sorry I meant to say NO its NOT just for the card

I have decided to go for a Corsair 650W TX, single rail but 50+ Amps. Should be fine for a GTX 260.

Thanks for your help/responses

Try it. Its not gonna hurt the card. Worse case you system crashes during gaming sessions and then you know you need a bit more power.

it's not only the wattage that matters you need enough amps on the 12v rail.

Back