42" Samsung Plasma + XBox 360 Pro for $964.00 OTD

UL

Limp Gawd
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...tegory&AID=10597222&PID=1260291&ref=39&loc=01

Heck of a deal if you ask me, just bought on. Dads getting a new TV for xmas and I got my self an xbox ;)

Samsung - 42" Class 720p Flat-Panel Plasma HDTV
PN42A450
Reg: Price $999

Xbox 360 Pro
Reg Price $299

ya its a free xbox >:eek:

Edit: Tax will likely be the same or Less unless you live in one of those Ultra Blue states that tax you for your ipod usage...

9% here so $981 after tax...

Not bad if you were looking to get a TV and Xbox... heh...

YIKES the xbox 360 accessories are going to hurt...

Wait.. it says both are LCD's than at the bottom it says the 42" is plasma..

When you consider what 42" plasmas ALONE were selling for just 2 years ago...and add in that the latest gen is better than those were....hell of a deal for someone looking for a tv/console combo.:cool:

I guess thats not a bad deal if you were lookin for a 720p TV. I would never get a 720p tv though no matter how hard they tried to sweeten up the deal.

I guess thats not a bad deal if you were lookin for a 720p TV. I would never get a 720p tv though no matter how hard they tried to sweeten up the deal.

Exactly. Buying anything less than a 1080P panel at this point in time makes zero sense.

on a 42 inch or less it is pretty well established that _MOST_ people can't tell the difference between 1080 and 720 at a medium viewing distance. not to mention there are so few 1080p sources unless you want to shell out for bluray (no thanks). that said, i would go for the panny 720p plasma for around $700 before this deal.

i don't own an HDTV, but i think standard def might even look better on 720 sets than 1080 because the pixels are stretched less. anyone know if theres truth to that? i know it holds true for regular crt tvs (standard def looks way better on my regular tube tv than any hdtv i've seen).

Exactly. Buying anything less than a 1080P panel at this point in time makes zero sense.
I'm not going to get in an argument on the internet but you are sooooo wrong with this statement. I suggest doing a little research on this..;)

edit- I'm a 1080p Panasonic plasma owner so I'm not defending 720p or advocating it....when talking picture quality the difference between 720p and 1080p at less than 60" doesn't really factor in.

no truth to that. 1080p sets can change resolution to fit standard def.

Standard def is not broadcasted at 1080p and you wont see it at 1080p

you wont even see it at 720p....

720p is used for hi-def sports

1080i for hd

Hot deal, but the 450 series Samsung plasma's have a tendancy for image retention. If you go in to the store check out to see if their floor model has any in the screen burn protection menu.

These are the kind of people that buy their HDMI cables from best buy.\

Just got my 720P Viera Panny, so neener neener neener :p

depends on the size of the tv Sir.

1080 is only good for tvs that are big, as in 56" or bigger.

on a 42 you won't noticed 720 over 1080

Actually.... http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html

42" 720P is fine unless you sit closer than 7.5 feet. So it still makes quite a bit of sense if you want to save money. :) Or at the distance your couch is at, you wouldn't even notice the 1080p anyways.

That chart is BS, it's all going to be dependent on the persons visual acuity. Someone with 20/10 vision will see the same detail at 20 feet that someone with 20/20 vision sees at 10 feet.

depends on the size of the tv Sir.

Really? Because... I do. Definitely. I've connected my PC to the 32" 720P set downstairs and it looked like shit, comparatively. It looks amazing at 1920x1200 on my 24" LCD. It looks great on my friend's 37" 1080P TV. I must just be a freak of nature.

Really? Because... I do. Definitely. I've connected my PC to the 32" 720P set downstairs and it looked like shit, comparatively. It looks amazing at 1920x1200 on my 24" LCD. It looks great on my friend's 37" 1080P TV. I must just be a freak of nature.

you're not serious are you?

of course pc is going to look like shit on anything less than 1080p

you're not serious are you?

of course pc is going to look like shit on anything less than 1080p

Of course I'm serious. Where do you think you are? I'd bet more than 50% of the people here intend to connect a PC to their HDTV.

Yea, 720p is fine for gaming and movies imo, but as soon as you consider connecting a PC to it, at 42" it's gonna look poopy.

So without telling us a distance from the tv, you know that we cannot tell the difference between 720p and 1080p...

Have you had your vision checked recently?

The way you did it, you're basically comparing ~1366 x 768 to your 1920 x 1200, of course it'll look like shit.

The way you did it, you're basically comparing ~1366 x 768 to your 1920 x 1200, of course it'll look like shit.

yeah, and he was supposed to compare 720p which is worse than 768p.

games look like crap to me at 720p on my 46". since my vid card isn't the best i usually try to play at least 1600x900
That chart is BS, it's all going to be dependent on the persons visual acuity. Someone with 20/10 vision will see the same detail at 20 feet that someone with 20/20 vision sees at 10 feet.

qft

I actually bought the samsung 780p 37inch w/ xbox for 900 and then sold the xbox on craigslist for 250 since I already own one. So 650 for the tv works for me.

well I bought a 42 inch plasma a few weeks ago and ive been more than happy... got basic cable and it actually looks better.

Now for a person going from a 32 inch tube TV this made sense money wise... I wanted the viewing size with some decent picture quality. it does both. Those of you knocking 720 or whatever are what i would assume able to afford the top tier stuff. Most of us cant and this is a goood deal

I hate to break it to you boys but there aren't many Service Providers, if any, upgrading to 1080p. As of right now the 1080p encoding solution very is expensive. Not to mention it requires an MPEG-4 endpoint (set top box). You see MPEG-2 is way too bandwidth intensive so MPEG-4 must be used.

Replacing a headend is not cheap and you can expect your service provider to stay where it's at for a while. Thus your 720p / 1080i TV will still continue to dominate the market.

Argue all you want about movies but it's broadcast that sells TV's.

I actually bought the samsung 780p 37inch w/ xbox for 900 and then sold the xbox on craigslist for 250 since I already own one. So 650 for the tv works for me.

u know the 42" was the same price right?

So without telling us a distance from the tv, you know that we cannot tell the difference between 720p and 1080p...

Have you had your vision checked recently?

+1.... I can't believe how often I read this " you can't tell a difference between 720 and 1080on less than a 50 inch" argument without the discussion of distance. Even without distance in the discussion, my 20/15 vision CAN tell a difference.

Back