42 inch Plasma, or not?

Zekenstein

n00b
well, I've been browsing on Newegg and found a nice panasonic 42 inch plasma with a DVI hookup for around 1,399. My question is, does it truly provide the better gaming experience? If i looked at a 42 LCD next to a 42 Plasma, on oblivion or CS;Source or whatever would I really be like "wow, that plasma is awesome"? Additionally, are there ghosting issues or other performance issues with gaming on plasmas? I remember someone tellng me once that they use plasmas for the demos at E3 and stuff and thats why they look so sweet.. Any input is well appreciated. Thanks!

LCD will work much much better with anything related to a computer.

Plasma will really only be better for TV or movies.

The plasma you're looking at on newegg has 2 things you might not have realized @ $1,399 shipped:

1) It's EDTV which means the resolution is only 852x480. Not really suited for a PC monitor - plus taking into account burn in on plasmas. Burn in isnt really a problem for TV watching anymore, but using Plasma as a PC display will still require vigilance to keep burn in away.

2) The model you're looking at is the commercial model that doesn't come with a Stand or DVI imput. You'd have to buy a stand off ebay for ~$100 and the DVI "add-on board" costs about $100 too I believe.

Cost wise also figure that plasma uses quite a bit more power than LCD's, and plasmas have to be transported vertically unlike LCD's, so if you move it can be a pain.

I think most people here would agree that if you want a large display for your PC, you'll be much happier with something along the lines of the Westinghouse 42" 1080p LCD. The extra resolution alone over even the best plasma would be worth it.

Lomic hit it on the money.

Plasmas are great for TV/DVD/Consoles but I wouldn't recommend it for PC viewing. One, the resoltuion is quite low and two, you'll have to go through too much to prevent burn in. With a modern plasma it is relatively easy to prevent burn in from tv watching, but when you get into PC use it's an entierely new animal.

Trust me on this - you DO NOT want to use a plasma TV on your computer. Get a LCD TV instead. Just make sure it has a DVI imput. A lot of the newer models are going away from DVI imputs for some reason. :confused: My old 32" LCD looked like $hit on VGA on text (to the point of text being unreadable) but looked fine on DVI. Also, unless your going to be sitting a good ways away from it then anything over a 32" model is going to be too large for a PC monitor. I had a 32" LCD recently and got rid of it because it was a little too big sitting at normal (2 ft.) desktop distance on my desk. I would have to look right and left while playing games on it - LOL. I bought the Westy 22" instead but it seems small after owning a 32"er. I'm now thinking seriously about trying a 26" LCD TV. Of course if your viewing distance is farther away then a larger one might be fine.

Back