40M Windows 8 Licenses Sold In One Month

does my free copy count from MSDN towards this 4M ? because I already uninstalled it :-D I liked it, but was not stable.

I don't believe so as an MSDN licesnce isn't a Windows 8 license and technically MSDN OSes aren't supposed to be used on production or end user devices.

Windows 8 not stable? thing runs at my 6 year old athlon single core like a breeze, and to those people complaining about touch, bla bla bla, get a fricking start 8 app its 4.99, and it works very well, thing flies in desktop mode no matter how much you hate metro interface, it is fast, clean and never crashes.

I don't believe so as an MSDN licesnce isn't a Windows 8 license and technically MSDN OSes aren't supposed to be used on production or end user devices.

Look I don't know about you, but honestly the only thing my windows ever is used for is design, development, testing, and demonstration of my programs... Not sure what anyone else with an msdn sub would use their software for :eek:

Look I don't know about you, but honestly the only thing my windows ever is used for is design, development, testing, and demonstration of my programs... Not sure what anyone else with an msdn sub would use their software for :eek:

I agree, I was simply pointing out the technical difference. Since an MSDN license gives one access to just about every OS that Microsoft has made I don't know how you could count an MSDN version as a Windows 8 license without also counting it as a Vista, XP, DOS or 7 license as well.

I loaded up Windows 8 on my 2 year old laptop/tablet. Works well. Took about an hour to get use to the metro ui, but it's not that big a deal. First like week was super annoying, cause it kept wanting me to activate and I didn't have internet access for the tablet during then.

So far, as stable, if not more stable than Win 7 Pro.

I have installed it to play around with, but won't switch cause HP don't provide Win 8 drivers for my laptop, and I can't find any on the net for it. Even the audio doesn't work.

Have to say it is unusable until you install Start8 (Only $5) then it is just like Win 7.

Wow that's insane. So much for people not liking Windows 8. Then again the general public are suckers for something new and shiny and don't really care about the usability when all they do is go on Facebook and twitter. It's only techy people like us that are really annoyed by it. Ms did what makes financial sense for them: tailor it to the weaker minded.

40 mill in the first month is just marketing math said to stockholders feel good about their investments. Personally it's been a sweat and sour experience, on my main gaming rig in my sig it eats just about everything and spits it out, so going by the seat of my pants the few programs that have given me headaches hasn't been worth it. It's also depressing MS hasn't broken the recent trend of releasing half ass products and relying the community to create fixes, Start8.

On the other hand, Win8 has resurrected several of my retired systems and have saved me buku bucks, so criticisms may vary. But I see where much of the backlash is coming from and I'm very much for an open software community, that's why I respect the legitimate backlash for helping push alternative options out there helping keep MS in check.

40 mill in the first month is just marketing math said*so stockholders feel good about their investments. Personally it's been a *sweet and sour experience, on my main gaming rig in my sig it eats just about everything and spits it out, so going by the seat of my pants the few programs that have given me headaches hasn't been worth it. It's also depressing MS hasn't broken the recent trend of releasing half ass products and relying the community to create fixes, Start8.

On the other hand, Win8 has resurrected several of my retired systems and have saved me buku bucks, so criticisms may vary. But I see where much of the backlash is coming from and I'm very much for an open software community, that's why I respect the legitimate backlash for helping push alternative options out there helping keep MS in check.

:cool:

This thread is hilarious with the win8 hate, anyones willing to come up with some random BS to downplay the sales of the OS.

"OMG OTHER PEOPLE USE IT?! CAN"T THEY SEE I HATE IT?!"

LOL. Exactly.

I don't know of anyone who's bought it as an upgrade other than people on this forum.

Well, when I arrived at my university and turned on my old trustworthy Acer notebook powered by a AMD C-50 processor rocking Windows 8 - amazingly fast compared to how it performed with 7, as soon as the start screen popped, everyone around me asked about it. People loved the start screen.

I see Win8 getting traction as soon as people that are afraid of anything new gets used to it. After that, most will realize it's really better to have a big screen with big icons of things you really use, and after clicking it goes away and you get what you want in front of you. I don't get how anyone could prefer going into the dephts of the old start menu just to open a commonly used program. Most pinned it to taskbar on 7.

But fact is, Win8 is Win7's taskbar PRO. Hell, it still has the Win7 taskbar on the Desktop and the new start screen! You can have your cake and eat it too, how nice is that?

But no, it's new and it's Microsoft, must hate it because it's cool to be part of the MS hate club. If it was Apple, everyone would call it "innovation", amirite?

Win 7 had deals at release that were just as good or better. I guess the excuse making is to be expected, though, so I won't judge too harshly.

Man some people are taking this all too seriously. Please, stop making an ass out of u and me. I don't see where I am making excuses. I just stated a fact, no more, no less. Do the deals that applied to Windows 7 somehow not apply to Windows 8? If it helped Windows 8 sell more, then it did. No ands, ifs or buts.

Hint: at $15 dollars, I jumped at a couple of copies too.

So I'm not speaking out of my ass.

The biggest Windows 7 deal I recall was roughly around $50 for an upgrade from Vista. You had to have purchased Vista like 6 mo. prior or something. The deals weren't comparable to what was done for WindowsHate.

The biggest Windows 7 deal I recall was roughly around $50 for an upgrade from Vista. You had to have purchased Vista like 6 mo. prior or something. The deals weren't comparable to what was done for WindowsHate.

Well, i would say Windows 7 Home Premium FPP (not upgrade) for £66.22 was a pretty damn good offer.

Once you remove the silly tile thing it's a decent upgrade to Win7 (my test gaming rig) - However, would I pay for that upgrade - NO mine is via my MSDN/Tech net subscription.

Tiles should be kept on a tablet and as an option on the desktop for those who wish to use it as such. Best $5 I ever spent was for Stardocks, START8 application.

Man some people are taking this all too seriously. Please, stop making an ass out of u and me. I don't see where I am making excuses. I just stated a fact, no more, no less. Do the deals that applied to Windows 7 somehow not apply to Windows 8? If it helped Windows 8 sell more, then it did. No ands, ifs or buts.

Hint: at $15 dollars, I jumped at a couple of copies too.

So I'm not speaking out of my ass.

So I misread you then? Fine, but a couple of things, Vista -> 7 was a free upgrade for the same time that the 7 -> 8 was a $15 upgrade:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2354554,00.asp for reference:
Any system purchased from June 26, 2009 to January 10, 2010 is eligible for the free upgrade.

I feel like I need to just leave that in my clipboard and paste it over and over, seriously how many dozens of times is someone going to say (not talking to you term-x) that Windows 8 only sold good because of the upgrade deal, when 7 had a BETTER upgrade deal? Another thing I should paste repeatedly from my clipboard is that Windows upgrades only amount to 2%-3% of total windows sales, the rest are oems where the upgrade price makes no difference. That is a negligible amount that almost has no affect on sales numbers. At this point it's simply excuse making from a desperate mob.

Wow that's insane. So much for people not liking Windows 8. Then again the general public are suckers for something new and shiny and don't really care about the usability when all they do is go on Facebook and twitter. It's only techy people like us that are really annoyed by it. Ms did what makes financial sense for them: tailor it to the weaker minded.

This makes no sense on so many levels.

How many of those licenses are bought by Dell, HP and other oem manufacturers, 50% 80% 95%?

Exactly !

And what is the true install-life?

Personally, I'm on the fence in regards to returning to Windows 7. The only reason I haven't is the time it will take.

Oh, and Office 13's no-contrast interface is the pits.

SP1 for Vista pretty much fixed everything that was left that was wrong with it. Most of its broken stuff was because hardware people didn't know how to write good drivers for it. Windows 8 doesn't have that problem and can pretty much run any program that works on Windows 7. Its just the UI thing that really seems to get people all angry-face.

Not even close man. The Networking issues were never fixed.

I remember paying $30 for my Windows 7 Prof through the Digital River deal that was posted in this forum's hot deals section.

Not even close man. The Networking issues were never fixed.

What networking issues? I use Vista to this day and I have none of the issues people are attributing to it.

I would have no issues at all if I ever got off my fat ass and replaced my 8 year old hard drive that I use for my OS install.

Two machines in W8, one still on W7 here. Don't feel any urge to switch back. As I've said in other threads, all I want is Aero Glass back. Past that, I have no issues with W8. Start8, no start screen, and I'm perfectly happy with the overall. For the family PC, the parental controls are far beyond 7's (and I thought 7's were the greatest thing coming from the crap options in XP). I was apprehensive about installing 8, but now that I have I can't see why there is so much crying.

Exactly !

And what is the true install-life?
[\QUOTE]

Microsoft is counting total licenses sold directly to customers and OEMs, just as it did with Windows 7.

Oh, and Office 13's no-contrast interface is the pits.

Office 2013 RTM has a couple of darker themes than were available in the preview. They may still be too light for some but they are better than the one in the preview.

What networking issues? I use Vista to this day and I have none of the issues people are attributing to it.

I would have no issues at all if I ever got off my fat ass and replaced my 8 year old hard drive that I use for my OS install.

I have used window xp, Vista, and 7. I find that window Vista is the best in term of functions. Unfortunately, majority of consumers didn't give it a second chance.

The vast majority being per-installed copies. I really wish Microsoft wouldn't turn the marketing bullshit volume to 11, it would make people far less skeptical. Its like they have something to prove, and axe to grind. SEE? SEE? People really do like it!

Whatever.

I've bought 2 copies for both computers, my fathers bought 3 copies for his laptops + desktop, my sisters bought 2 copies for her kids computers, hell even my grandparents have bought copies...

And I hate to say it, but metro was the entire reason they bought it along with the $40 price.
You folks might not like the fisher price interface, but general users love it cuz it's so pretty.

Myself personally I forget I'm even running windows 8 until I hit my start key to run something not on my desktop and the stupid metro comes up... but that happens very infrequently, maybe i'll install start8.

After getting used to the new feel I like it a lot better than windows 7. Only time will tell if that stands true for me as its only been a few weeks now but for an 15$ upgrade I don't really have any complaints yet.

windows 7: $200+
windows 8: M$ all but pays you to use it

wonder if that could have any influence on these numbers.............................................................

windows 7: $200+
windows 8: M$ all but pays you to use it

FTFY :
Windows 7: free if you bought your computer with Vista up to few months before W7 release, about 70 euros for W7HP FPP in preorders, about 100 euros for W7HP FPP up until about 1 year after release.
Windows 8: 15 euro upgrade if you bought a computer up to few months before W8 release, 30 euro digital upgrade for everyone else, 65 euro physical upgrade for everyone else, 95 euro Windows 8 System Builder with Personal licence option (making it pretty much FPP) or 130 euro for Windows 8 Pro SB with PL.

If you ask me, MS pushed W7 much, much more than W8.

I've bought 4 copies so far.

Works fine.

The one thing I don't understand is all the supposedly experienced tech journalists that have been moaning about the 'jarring' switch between Metro and the Desktop when opening files.

I don't get it because if you simply set the default applications to the desktop then you never go back to Metro. Well I don't.

I guess tech journos aren't that clever after all.

So far, Windows 8 still fails to impress me.

For a tablet it's actually not bad -- though I'm still not a fan of most of the Metro/Modern apps. They are far too "dumbed down" for my tastes. I feel most Android apps are a bit better, personally, though Android has other issues when run on a large screen.

With StartIsBack and some tweaking (disabling the new ribbon in explorer, etc.), Windows 8 works pretty well overall and is a bit faster at starting up -- not that I really care, as I tend to reboot my machine maybe once or twice a year, if that often. For a laptop that is going to be shutdown and restarted frequently, then, yes, it has some benefit.

The licensing issues with 8 are giving me real headaches in a business environment and how motherboard swaps and repairs are going to be handled is still a bit of an open question -- and one I'm doing some testing on right now. Basically, I think the Windows 8 embedded COA / UEFI / Secure Boot setup is basically a very heavy handed attempt to force medium size businesses to purchase SA licenses for all their machines rather than just using the OEM licenses that come with their machines (which used to be very doable and had most of the same benefits as VL/SA licensing as long as you stuck with a single vendor for all your machines).

Additionally, there have been some rather weird compatibility issues that I am seeing crop up with apps I wouldn't expect to have problems. Specifically, getting some .NET code working right in Windows 8 is proving to be a headache -- and there are also some things missing that were at least available as add-ons for Windows 7 (e.g. I still haven't found an add-on for old style help file support).

From a UI standpoint, my biggest gripe is the charms bar. It is annoying and shows Windows 8's lack of "polish" at this point. Far too many things are spread between the Charms bar Setting screen and the standard Control Panel UI. Some are only available from one, some from the other. If everything was still available in the old Control Panel UI, then I could just disable the Charms bar totally -- which would be my preference! On a multi-monitor setup, the Charms bar is a royal pain -- hitting the edge of the screen with a mouse isn't as simple as it should be. So, when I want the Charms bar to come up, it usually doesn't, but it seems like almost every time I go to close a maximized program with the "X", the Charms bar inevitably comes up instead.

Lastly, the Metro/Modern and multitasking sucks bad. The split screen interface just isn't efficient and looks crappy. Just make the Metro/Modern apps run in a standard Window and allow multiple ones at a time. I've actually got this more or less working with a customized video driver so that the Metro apps actually thing they are running full screen on a separate monitor, but it's still more wasteful of resources than I like and a bit buggy (which I haven't had time to work on fixing recently as I've been swamped with work at the moment [ARM Linux kernel drivers]).

Lastly, the Metro/Modern and multitasking sucks bad. The split screen interface just isn't efficient and looks crappy. Just make the Metro/Modern apps run in a standard Window and allow multiple ones at a time. I've actually got this more or less working with a customized video driver so that the Metro apps actually thing they are running full screen on a separate monitor, but it's still more wasteful of resources than I like and a bit buggy (which I haven't had time to work on fixing recently as I've been swamped with work at the moment [ARM Linux kernel drivers]).

I was wondering if they would allow that to be toggled off. That seems to be their answer for giving people some of the advantages of having multiple monitors, without having multiple monitors. So when you do have multiple monitors, it's not as useful and in your case, annoying.

I also tend to agree with the charms/control panel stuff. Centralize that crap. I haven't been able to mess with it since consumer preview, as I am too lazy to bother installing the OS again on either of my systems.

Win 7 had deals at release that were just as good or better. I guess the excuse making is to be expected, though, so I won't judge too harshly.

To upgrade from a computer with windows vista to 7 they did not charge you, so yes it was better back then.

Back