40GB PS3 + 80GB price cut confirmed for the US

Getting more and more tempting...

Will the 40gb have wireless? Maybe by the time Gran Turismo 5 comes out the price will be close to $300.

(I can't get to the link at work...so I'm sorry if this is answered there)

Will our 40GB model lack backwards compatibility, too?

Been having trouble with that if they aren't in stock...BS if you ask me.:mad:

ie- Orange Box

Not to get too off topic, but one of the reasons they do this is because of many retailers' (including themselves) bs practices of having amazing sales on particular items...and stocking 5 of them per store. If CC advertises a $2000 tv for $100 and only has one of them, BB shouldn't be forced to sell all 50 of the ones they might have in stock just because CC put up a shady (though legal) sale.

Some best buys say that the item has to be in stock at the other store in order to price match.

It's kind of weird they didnt announce the cut for the 60gb model if they are trying to phase it out.

Exactly what does it mean when people say that the new PS3's lack backwards compatibility. Is it that the first PS3's had the EE, and the newer ones use software emulation to play PS1 and PS2 games?

I guess the new batch of PS3's apparently don't even have the backwards compatibility emulation software loaded. It's not to say they couldn't get it via a patch or a bootlegged firmware, but it's not there by default.
I don't quite understand why they can't even bother with a software solution...but it seems they've removed it for this model.

I don't quite understand why they can't even bother with a software solution...but it seems they've removed it for this model.
It's already been said a million times... but the 80gb PS3 still used some PS2 hardware for backwards compatibility. That hardware is now gone from the 40gb PS3 so no backwards compatibility at all.

The 20GB and 60GB models had the EE and GS included for hardware compatibility.

The 80GB model uses the GS but does not have the EE so it can only do software emulation.

The 40GB does not have the EE or the GS and cannot do backwards compatibility at all.

No BC is terrible. Might have to hold out for the 80 gig or skip the Ps3 til next year..

Awesome. After my stupid money issues recently I can finally afford one for X-mas this year.

I think I'm going to purchase one, I grow weary from the issues my 360 gives me. Plus my PS2 is modded so BC is definitely not an issue for me.

damn, at this rate by the time the good games hit PS3 should be $299 or under, LOL. Holding out for the slim, but enjoying the show :D

How about we start seeing some price cuts on the games?

Resistance and Motorstorm should definitely not still be $60, at this point... cmon Sony, start a GH program for PS3, and drop these two to $30.

I might pick one of these up now when GT5 comes out. All they need is one or two killer apps before I would consider buying one, and they have zero right now in my eyes.

Hopefully they lower the price again by the time GT5 comes out. $300 for one game is a little much, perhaps I will go to a pawn shop and pick one up.

It is unfortunate that they do have GT5 and almost no other games. I played the pants off of Forza 2 and it doesn't hold a candle to the GT series.

I'll go bargin bin shopping for my future PS3 stuff. :)

Not bad, but still high, plus still no good games (IMO).

I'll wait for MGS4 and GT5. Maybe it'll be cheaper by then.

I understand why some people that are just looking at the PS3 for just games but if you've got alot of DVD's and your interested in Bluray, a PS3 is a no brainer. Because it's still considered one of the best Bluray players out there and the upconversion performance is second to none. And performance in those two area's are still being improved thru firmware updates and you can't say that about alot of stand alone players

How about we start seeing some price cuts on the games?

Resistance and Motorstorm should definitely not still be $60, at this point... cmon Sony, start a GH program for PS3, and drop these two to $30.

neither has sold well enough :p

I understand why some people that are just looking at the PS3 for just games but if you've got alot of DVD's and your interested in Bluray, a PS3 is a no brainer. Because it's still considered one of the best Bluray players out there and the upconversion performance is second to none. And performance in those two area's are still being improved thru firmware updates and you can't say that about alot of stand alone players

Pointing to its upscaling of standard dvds is a stretch when great upscaling players are cheap as dirt. Blu Ray and HD dvd can both diaf as far as the general public are concerned.

Pointing to its upscaling of standard dvds is a stretch when great upscaling players are cheap as dirt. Blu Ray and HD dvd can both diaf as far as the general public are concerned.

The PS3 upscales as well as a good Faroujia player does, and those are ~not~ cheap: The low end Oppo runs at least $200.

We're obviously not the general public. We're tech folk, we actually like HDDVD and blu-ray.

abso-fucking-lootely. its was a no brainer at $699!!!!!! who gives two shits about the games, we all know they'll come eventually and even if they didn't who cares. BD kicks ass!! said it b4, will say it again...its those who bitch that cannot afford them. at the end of the day we all win

The PS3 upscales as well as a good Faroujia player does, and those are ~not~ cheap: The low end Oppo runs at least $200.

We're obviously not the general public. We're tech folk, we actually like HDDVD and blu-ray.

I would hope the PS3 performs better than Faroudja chips, and I believe it does. Faroudja is considered pretty budget these days, and I don't think they ever solved the macroblocking issues that popped up with some types of displays. The PS3 ranks better than Faroudja players but falls a bit short compared to the next level stuff from Realta and Reon, but those players go for $600+ (Toshiba XA2, Samsung BDP-1200).

I would hope the PS3 performs better than Faroudja chips, and I believe it does. Faroudja is considered pretty budget these days, and I don't think they ever solved the macroblocking issues that popped up with some types of displays. The PS3 ranks better than Faroudja players but falls a bit short compared to the next level stuff from Realta and Reon, but those players go for $600+ (Toshiba XA2, Samsung BDP-1200).

Like I said before you want find a better upscaler or bluray player that's beats the PS3 for under 500 period that can compete feature wise.

the last firmware I was running did pretty good with the Macroblock issues... but my oppo died from other things so I can't do any comparisons anymore.

Either way, a good upscaler isn't cheap. The ps3 does a great job of it.

Like I said before you want find a better upscaler or bluray player that's beats the PS3 for under 500 period that can compete feature wise.

True, although I think the BDP-1400 by Samsung gives it a run for it's money at $440. It has bitstream support for DTS-HD MA and all the other next generation formats, although the latest firmware is a bit buggy. If the PS3 gets bitstream support for the new audio formats as well I will probably end up getting one even though I'm tired of having a console as a movie player. If not I will probably go with the Samsung.

I disagree, I'm wacky tech-folk and *still* abhor both formats. Bluray and HD-DVD are both SHIT. They are minor, bullshit evolutions of the DVD technology, and are 100% PURELY an excuse to sell us the same old content AGAIN, at a newly inflated price tag.

To the content companies promoting these bullshit formats, I say "fuck you very much". I'll feed my HDTV with games via 360 and upscaled STANDARD dvd's, which look great as it is without the anal raping on both players and disks.

Bluray sucks a fat cock. HD-DVD sucks a fat cock, too.

/eloquence

I disagree, I'm wacky tech-folk and *still* abhor both formats. Bluray and HD-DVD are both SHIT. They are minor, bullshit evolutions of the DVD technology, and are 100% PURELY an excuse to sell us the same old content AGAIN, at a newly inflated price tag.

To the content companies promoting these bullshit formats, I say "fuck you very much". I'll feed my HDTV with games via 360 and upscaled STANDARD dvd's, which look great as it is without the anal raping on both players and disks.

Bluray sucks a fat cock. HD-DVD sucks a fat cock, too.

/eloquence

Why would you dislike something that is an increase in quality?

Back