4090 Reviews are up.

How much of an issue compression-chroma are in 4K-240hz with DP 1.4a for gaming (and not work-texts), I guess will to see for next weeks reviews that will test those, maybe it will end up an non issues for a long time particularly if the monitor industry has to make it work with how much of the field will not have DP 2.0.

There's also running 8K downsampled on a 4K monitor, which you can easily do with Nvidia DSR factors. And it does look better/sharper from the few times I've tried it on my own 4K monitor. It's not a huge difference, but it's definitely there. But my 3090 really chokes when doing it.

And then for the purposes of VR, I'd want to see how 4K x2 (4K per eye) or any similar pixel total resolution (so about ~6K res) performs as well.
from what I can tell DSR does not down sample 8k resolution which is 7680 x 4320 pixels. When I enabled it I do not get the option for games to play at 7680x4320.

Now sure playing at 8k it totally niche. But with the 4090, it looks like its possible to get 8k60hz. If you aren't playing at 4:4:4.....its looks terrible.

If you aren't playing at 4:4:4.....its looks terrible.
That interesting and surprising, I thought it would be more when you work or read text than game, for example enough that Sony released a PS5 unabled to do 4:4:4 at 4k, movies does not use 4:4:4 and look better than a video game for the most part

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/chroma-subsampling

IN VIDEO GAMES​

While some PC games that have a strong focus on text might suffer from using chroma subsampling, most of them are either designed with it in mind or implement it within the game engine. Most gamers should therefore not worry about it.

Color subsampling is a method of compression that greatly reduces file size and bandwidth requirements with practically no quality loss. Unless you are going to use your TV as a primary PC monitor where lots of text is going to be read, there shouldn't be a need to worry about it. It has no noticeable visual imperfections otherwise and allows you to trade for much better advantages such as 10-bit color depth and HDR. 4:2:0 is essential to modern distribution platforms,

And when going to 4:4:4 instead of 4:2:2 by going down to 60fps on the PS5, many cannot see the difference in game at a regular sitting distance(it could be that PS5 video game are made to be played in 4:2:2 too).

I would have to take people word for it, not being able tot test, but the fact Sony considered it was enough of an non issue to use only a 30 gbs port, make me feel that for most people sitting on a couch playing on a giant TV, should not be an issue, on a 32 inch 4K 240hz monitor too, maybe it would be.

Or guru3d on it:
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_rog_swift_pg35vq_monitor_review,3.html

Is 4:2:2 chroma subsampling a bad thing?​

That I can only answer with both yes and no. This form of color compression has been used for a long time already, in fact, if you ever watched a Bluray movie, it was color compressed. Your eyes will be hard-pressed to see the effect of color compression in movies and games. However, with very fine thin lines and fonts, you will notice it. For gaming, you'll probably never ever notice a difference (unless you know exactly what to look for in very specific scenes).

Last edited:
That interesting and surprising, I thought it would be more when you work or read text than game, for example enough that Sony released a PS5 unabled to do 4:4:4 at 4k, movies does not use 4:4:4 and look better than a video game for the most part

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/chroma-subsampling

IN VIDEO GAMES​

While some PC games that have a strong focus on text might suffer from using chroma subsampling, most of them are either designed with it in mind or implement it within the game engine. Most gamers should therefore not worry about it.

Color subsampling is a method of compression that greatly reduces file size and bandwidth requirements with practically no quality loss. Unless you are going to use your TV as a primary PC monitor where lots of text is going to be read, there shouldn't be a need to worry about it. It has no noticeable visual imperfections otherwise and allows you to trade for much better advantages such as 10-bit color depth and HDR. 4:2:0 is essential to modern distribution platforms,

And when going to 4:4:4 instead of 4:2:2 by going down to 60fps on the PS5, many cannot see the difference in game at a regular sitting distance(it could be that PS5 video game are made to be played in 4:2:2 too).
The problem is some people can see a difference, including me. Also, when you pay $1600 for a video card dont you expect to have no drawbacks in gaming? Like in the linus video.....There are 4k 240hz PC monitors....and the 4090 has to lower its image quality to be able to play at 240hz.

If I am paying $1600 and finding that out I would be pissed personally. Now this is a very very small market considering not many people play at 4k 120hz+....But thats not the point right? You pay for the best you expect the best....not sub optimal specs.

Reactions: noko
like this
The problem is some people can including me.
I am not surprised that someone can see, is that someone find it terrible, could be just internet hyperbole, but I do not remember commenting that the PS5 look terrible in 120 fps versus an XboxX because one was in 4:4:4 and not the other (or even talk of seeing a difference at all).

Fully understand why someone that pay $1600 for a video card with a potential 6-7 years of live time (and with encoding-decoding AV1 on, etc...) to want the DP 2.0 in there, even in a why not mode anyway. But I feel it will be a wait to see if people in general are able to even tell the difference.

The problem is some people can see a difference, including me. Also, when you pay $1600 for a video card dont you expect to have no drawbacks in gaming?
This is pretty much it. I have zero interest in this card or the displays it can power, but shouldn't a $1600+ gpu be built for the ultra high end?

The problem is some people can see a difference, including me. Also, when you pay $1600 for a video card dont you expect to have no drawbacks in gaming? Like in the linus video.....There are 4k 240hz PC monitors....and the 4090 has to lower its image quality to be able to play at 240hz.

If I am paying $1600 and finding that out I would be pissed personally. Now this is a very very small market considering not many people play at 4k 120hz+....But thats not the point right? You pay for the best you expect the best....not sub optimal specs.
That's kinda always the case though. That's why Gsync/freesync are so nice, you can crank it up and not have to worry about hitting 240 fps, or just lower a few settings and easily get there.

from what I can tell DSR does not down sample 8k resolution which is 7680 x 4320 pixels. When I enabled it I do not get the option for games to play at 7680x4320.

Now sure playing at 8k it totally niche. But with the 4090, it looks like its possible to get 8k60hz. If you aren't playing at 4:4:4.....its looks terrible.

The only two games I've hopped on at all over the past few months: The Outer Worlds and Planetside 2 both will run 7680 x 4320 (with DSR enabled) if I select that resolution. I also remember running it in Alien Isolation some time ago as well. It definitely works: I get a slightly sharper image on my PG279UQ with a heavily reduced frame rate. I don't consider it necessary by any means as 4K without an AA already looks good enough on a 27'' size, but for the sake of benchmarks it is doable without 8K native.

I'm not sure why it doesn't work on your end.

The only two games I've hopped on at all over the past few months: The Outer Worlds and Planetside 2 both will run 7680 x 4320 (with DSR enabled) if I select that resolution. I also remember running it in Alien Isolation some time ago as well. It definitely works: I get a slightly sharper image on my PG279UQ with a heavily reduced frame rate. I don't consider it necessary by any means as 4K without an AA already looks good enough on a 27'' size, but for the sake of benchmarks it is doable without 8K native.

I'm not sure why it doesn't work on your end.
I just checked and you are right. I was only using the DLDSR option and not the legacy option.

Can anyone point me to the VESA DisplayPort 2.1 specs?

As far as I can tell VESA has not published any purposed specifications for DP 2.1

I am wondering if wires were crossed and HDMI 2.1 is being confused with DP 2.1.

Hopefully Navi31 will have DP2.0.

Current desktop versus current laptop (although it is a thin & light so lower voltage - Razer Blade 14) - crazy.

timespy_desktop_vs_laptop.jpg

Interesting that having only 3 plugs connected with the 12VHPWR adapter gives you 100% power target, vs. having all 4 which gives you 133% with the 4090FE.

Last edited:
Interesting that having only 3 plugs connected with the 12VHPWR adapter gives you 100% power target, vs. having all 4 which gives you 133% with the 4090FE.

I think its funny Corsair tried to call out Gamers Nexus for spreading information that was correct. Even Nvidia made Corsair look bad AND Gamers Nexus owns evidence in the video proved Corsair wrong.

This is why we should all praise independent reporting.

Crazy looks like RTX 3090 Ti, for example, has gone up in price on Amazon. Response to demand for RTX 4090?

It was jonnyguru and he's not fired.

Just jonny, he doesn’t get the guru title any longer.

jonny said that? Wow ... (I still remember, as many others do here, when his PSU site was THE site to go, for PSU reviews -- he seemed [generally] a lot more objective then).
Given what I've heard about Corsair's cashflow issues/overexpansion recently, it makes things really interesting, in context.

DSR does not down sample 8k resolution which is 7680 x 4320 pixels. When I enabled it I do not get the option for games to play at 7680x4320.
It works in most games but not all. It gives you the option to select 8k in the resolution menu. You can scale it on the gpu or your monitor, record 8k 60fps or downsampled to 4k videos and snapshot 8k images. When I had an 8k screen I could go to 16k :)

Attachments

• 8k.jpg
    8k.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 1
Crazy looks like RTX 3090 Ti, for example, has gone up in price on Amazon. Response to demand for RTX 4090?
No, Amazon is sold out of 3090Ti's until November. So 3rd parties are looking for suckers.
The ones that are in stock by Amazon fluctuate in price throughout the day.

I choose not to buy one because AMD will surely surpass it even more by 40% and the 4080s for probably around $1000-1200 making 3090Ti prices dip even more.
I'm game for a $650 3090 or $800 3090Ti, hold onto it until the 4090Ti is released.

Could be in part the announced pricing of the 4080 and their early benchmark numbers working.

For those who've gotten a 4090 what's been your experience with coil whine? It's not horrible but it's more noticeable than any card I've had in a number of generations. Just something unavoidable with the power its pulling?

For those who've gotten a 4090 what's been your experience with coil whine? It's not horrible but it's more noticeable than any card I've had in a number of generations. Just something unavoidable with the power its pulling?
Which one did you get?

Back