4090 owners, how are you dealing with the power connector fiasco?

There’s 4.

The Corsair one is a different wire and connector combo if you’re thinking of that.
Only two are really connected the other two are just dummies, did you check Igor's lab dissection?

I don't own one, but I'd deal with it just like I dealt with the 20-series turning screens into Space Invaders and the 30-series flat-out dying. It's obviously a thing, but it's not like it's happening much. A dozen Reddit users isn't exactly representative of tens of thousands of owners. It would be business as usual at my house and if I smell something weird, I'd pop open my case and take a look.

I still might end up with a 4080 or 4090 at some point. The plan is to start a new build based around the 7800X3D. My level of fear over burning is less than my fear of dying in a plane crash or falling down stairs.

I don't own one, but I'd deal with it just like I dealt with the 20-series turning screens into Space Invaders and the 30-series flat-out dying. It's obviously a thing, but it's not like it's happening much. A dozen Reddit users isn't exactly representative of tens of thousands of owners. It would be business as usual at my house and if I smell something weird, I'd pop open my case and take a look.

"But your house might burn down shouldn't you be more concerned?!?!"

While this powerconnector fracas certainly warrants discussion, the subgroup of concern trolls and bandwagoners attracted to this issue is a little silly. Not necessarily here but Reddit, tech forums and youtube. And the most 'concerned' seem those that don't even own a 4090, just have some axe to grind with NV, prices, etc.

Last edited:
Here are the two pins side by side. One is for the 12VHPWR and the other is the PSU side. I can't figure out why they would claim this plug allows you to run more juice than two 8 pin PCIE. Even the datasheet on the Molex website lists current capacities for both and as you would guess, the smaller one carries less current. Its also a pain in the ass to crimp properly with lower gauge wire and I assume that is part of the problem. To seat them in the receptacle, the crimp has to be perfect or it doesn't go in all the way.

Attachments

• PXL_20221110_170042306.jpg
    PXL_20221110_170042306.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 0
I'm going to get real for a second.

If you have an RTX 4090, you should have a backup GPU. This is especially true of the high-end where technology is being pushed to the limits. If you don't have a backup, you really can't be angry about being "without a GPU" if your GPU goes out and has to be RMA'd. This is especially true of people on this forum who like to push their GPUs beyond manufacturer specs and keep them there 24/7.

As to people who sell their previous GPU once you secure a new GPU (or worse... sell your previous GPU before you secure a new GPU), I don't feel sorry for you. You're trying to play the market, and in doing so, you take a risk that you might be without a GPU. It is what it is.

I have a 4090.
I also have a 3080 as a backup. Just in case.

This is why I'm not worried.

I have almost no clearance for my 12 pin connector if I install my GPU the "normal" way, case is an O11D. So I just went and bought the Cooler Master V3 vertical mount and now problem solved. Still waiting on Corsair to restock their new 12 pin adapter for my RMx PSU to clean up the look a little bit as the nvidia adapter isn't the most aesthetically pleasing.

Attachments

• 20221108_070629.jpg
    20221108_070629.jpg
    505 KB · Views: 1
All 4 are required for full utilization of the card.
If you'd done any reading on it, you would know this to be untrue. Only two are needed to be able to use 600W with the 4090 and adapter cable.

If you'd done any reading on it, you would know this to be untrue. Only two are needed to be able to use 600W with the 4090 and adapter cable.
People are getting confused with GPU side vs PSU side of the cables, they don’t realize that the PSU side can handle up to 300w depending on the PSU.

Isn't it true that all 4 sense "side" lines have to see connect though?

From your diagram above "Sense #2 and Sense #3 are empty" basically means no connection. From same page the connector has both cables cut at the end to Sense #2 and Sense #3 (result is same as having no cables):

1668126976334.png

Yeah pretty sure Koldur is talking sense pins and you're talking about pci-e 8-pin connecter so both of you right I guess.

Yeah pretty sure Koldur is talking sense pins and you're talking about pci-e 8-pin connecter so both of you right I guess.
Well, I think the net net is actually that you can "get away" with only two connected - due to only two sense connectors.

So, with legs we weren't talking about the sense pins? But if there were three or four PCIe 6+2 pins connected?

I just put in an order for one of these, what do you guys think of the brand?

FSP Hydro PTM PRO 1200W ATX 3.0 PCI-E GEN-5 80 Plus Platinum Full Modular Power Supply (HPT2-1200)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BKR439HC

Edit: Looks like this is the same one Niner21 got. Let me know how you like yours! This EVGA SuperNova 1000w I have my 4090 on has awful whine. Hopefully these FSP units are nice and quiet.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I just put in an order for one of these, what do you guys think of the brand?

FSP Hydro PTM PRO 1200W ATX 3.0 PCI-E GEN-5 80 Plus Platinum Full Modular Power Supply (HPT2-1200)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BKR439HC

Edit: Looks like this is the same one Niner21 got. Let me know how you like yours! This EVGA SuperNova 1000w I have my 4090 on has awful whine. Hopefully these FSP units are nice and quiet.
Mine is doing well so far, and no issues with coil whine at all. Nice and quiet, and a ten year warranty also helps out.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Are cable mod cables also melting or still just the Nvidia ones?
Can't say that I've seen any reports of any melting. I will be getting one early next week, but no plans to install it at the moment since I got a new 3.0 ATX Power supply. I put in to be notified of their right angle adapters as well which to me would be the best solution.

My MSI Gaming Trio has a custom cable going from my Corsair HX1200 to the 4090. Premium silver wire. I also have a 4090 FE sitting here in box as a backup should things go melty.

Another test I can recommend after you think it's plugged in, try pulling on the cable straight away from the card. If it's not fully latched, it will back out. I had this happen once when I was doing some wire routing for a back fan and went to take out the card out but not unplug the power. The plug just pulled away from ease from what I had believed was a latched and fully plugged position. If I hadn't second guessed my fan wiring, I would have found myself as another stat to the reddit post.

Reactions: noko
like this
TLDR; Make sure there is no debris in the cable. Plug it in all the way. Don’t bend the hell out of it. Igor sucks.
Yeah, their testing really just proved the theories people had correctly. I really don’t like Steve after this; the video comes off condescending. It validated a lot of the theories people had, and he turned it into some journalistic criticism piece.

Yeah, their testing really just proved the theories people had correctly. I really don’t like Steve after this; the video comes off condescending. It validated a lot of the theories people had, and he turned it into some journalistic criticism piece.
Well to be fair Igor was saying certain adapters were bad, and that you should try and find a certain brand of adapter… meanwhile he had yet to see one fail in person. I’d rather see results in a video rather than have someone that stokes fears based on speculation.

Well to be fair Igor was saying certain adapters were bad, and that you should try and find a certain brand of adapter… meanwhile he had yet to see one fail in person. I’d rather see results in a video rather than have someone that stokes fears based on speculation.
Hey, nobody's saying you can't game on a 4090. Just if you do, you're going to die. That's all.

Hey, nobody's saying you can't game on a 4090. Just if you do, you're going to die. That's all.
Or you just pay attention and actually check the cable you are connecting and don't have to worry about it. Building a PC isn't like plugging in a toaster. If you are buying a 4090, I suppose you are careful, especially with the answer out there, it is used error, even though it could have been avoided by foolproofing it a bit more by shortening the sense pins.

But people like to complain and kick and scream more than be smart nowadays.

Back