4090 founders edition power cable replacement?

dpoverlord

[H]ard|Gawd
Anyone have to replace this founder editions PSU cable?

Friend got one for me and don't want risk burning my system.

Last edited:
The OEM adapter for my GB Windforce worked just fine for the ~3.5 weeks I used it while waiting for my CM modflex cable (3x8pin). I was overly careful though and left my side panel off so that I wouldn't have to bend any of the leads to make it fit, plus I propped up the slack so that there was basically 0 downforce on the 16pin connector. Even though, statistically, your OEM adapter should be fine, if your case isn't wide enough to have the side panel on without it pressing on the adapter, I'd advise getting an official/aftermarket cable so that you can actually have it fit comfortably.

Ordered a CableMods cable for my 4090. I had the nvidia one in there for 1 week. Computer is on 24/7 and I game every night as well. Since the power cable problem has been found to be user error, we've seen the power cable problem vocal group quiet down a lot.

20221114_111000.jpg

If you make sure it's plugged into the card all the way, then you don't need to worry about it.

Cable mods is designing a right angle adapter. They have a sign up list for angled adapters depending on your card.

All you need to do is make sure it's fully plugged in and clicks into place, the stock adapter is fine.

You can buy a replacement cable, but the same holds true. You gotta make sure it's fully plugged in.

All you need to do is make sure it's fully plugged in and clicks into place, the stock adapter is fine.

You can buy a replacement cable, but the same holds true. You gotta make sure it's fully plugged in.
When I plugged mine into my 4090 FE, there was no click. I pushed hard, then tried removing it to make certain it was seated. The 12 pin connector (16 if you count the sense pins) really suck that way.

When I plugged mine into my 4090 FE, there was no click. I pushed hard, then tried removing it to make certain it was seated. The 12 pin connector (16 if you count the sense pins) really suck that way.
On my 4080 FE there was no real discernible click either. I was a little worried and unplugged and plugged it back in with my ear really close and there was only a very slight click.

Yeah, the click isn't very audible. That's one of the things I hope gets changed on that 12vhpwr connector. It already had revised design spec get released in mid October, likely due to some of them not staying seated and the whole melting connector mess.

Back