400mhz overclock not stable...opteron 170

johnnq

[H]ard|Gawd
i had it overclocked to 2.75 for a few months (somehow it made it to 2.95 with clockgen...but wouldn't boot at that speed) and decided to replace the heatsink. (7700alcu to ninja)

long story short, if i overclock everything becomes unstable. no errors in prime or anything, but i get random shutdowns. temperatures are lower across the board...could something ELSE be overheating and causing shutdowns? even if i leave the computer on and leave the room for a few hours, i will find it turned off. coretemp shows nothing unusually right before the system turns off.

normally, if the processor is the problem, the computer should just freeze.
if its randomly shutting off, i would attribute that to a bad power supply or something going on with the motherboard.
if it was the RAM, i would think random reboots would be happening and not a blatant power shut-off...

just my 2cents.

I took a look at a picture of one and I have a couple of thoughts. Perhaps the backplate is shorting something or maybe the heatsink is coming in contact with something. Have you tried using the board outside of the case to see what happens?

I have to agree though, it is probably more likely a power issue.

Joe

I would think PSU, I had similar problems after adding some of my hard drives to a crappy old $30 Tt 400w PSU, replaced it with a proper OCZ at the time and its been fine since. It would just turn off out of no where.

alright thanks guys. but voltages seem ok...grr i'll rma the psu around christmas time and report back. i already rma'd the ram (and 24 hour memtested the new ram)...and the cpu doesn't error either.

somebody else made the same suggestion about the backplate of the ninja. how could that be possible? how could i be the only person having problems with the backplate??

I have an Opteron 170 (CBBE 0615 EPMW) and had the same problem I never figured it out becasue when I installed my SI-128 (yes... in a SG01-E), the load temps are now up to 65C ruling out overclocking. I didn't replace anything because I don't think anything needs replacing. Charts say this chip should fly, experience says otherwise.

So I'm going to reply to myself and put forth a guess that maybe its a problem with Core Temp the program. I've been at it again (overclocking) and found that my PC would shutdown when I opened a combination of Core Temp and CPU-z. When I did a Google search for CPU-z I came across a Core Temp thread at the Core Temp website: http://www.alcpu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=236. Anyone else experience this phenomenon?

Well, I had an opteron 180 that would not even do a 200 MHZ overclock. They tend to hate overclocking.

This was after I had a A64 3700 in the same exact machine overclocked from 2.2 to 2.7. Definitely a cpu issue in my case.

65°C is nothing, I have an Opty 170 @ 2.6Ghz that runs at 47°C idle and 82°C under load on the stock fan. Perfectly stable, just very warm :cool: Obviously I have no need for heating in my house.

SpeedFan 4.33 - it recognises the core as a K8 so I assume it's correct? if not my temp1 is 71°C under load (48°C idle) but I can't see what else could be at 82°C.

Since I stopped using core temp I've been able to overclock. For the past 7h 5m 25s (Orthos) I've been stable at 2.4 with a temp 1 of 61c and a core temp of 77c. Are you using stock volts?

Not by a long chalk :) It's at 1.58V now as measured by SpeedFan, has been like that for about 18 months and nothing has died yet although it is rather high.

My motherboard likes to give the processor 1.4v normally. Considering your setup, I suppose I have nothing to worry about in trying for 2.6 and watching the core go up to 65c as I'm at the edge of the "recommended" thermal envelope for the Opteron processor line. Although looking at AMD papers those core temps were for an ambient temperature of ~100 degrees. I'm reaching those temps at about 70 or so :rolleyes:. It's funny, When I used core temp, it told me that the max Tcase was 59c I suppose that was for 2.0. If the processor runs fine at higher frequencies I suppose the Tcase max increases as well. Now if I go for 2.6, are the trade offs of running my memory at 176 and the HT at ~700 worth 200mhz?

Again, HTT hasn't been a problem for me - I just left it at 5x, and my FSB is at 260Mhz, so it's at 1300Mhz. Memory is at 216/DDR433 on a 5/6 divider, but it's PC3500 rated so only running at spec there.

Back