400gb Seagate PATA -- $90 Shipped

Raines8416

[H]ard|Gawd
Posted this in the $100 400gb SATA deal thread at frys.

That deal is dead but here is another. 400gb for $90 shipped, PATA is the only catch. I wish I would have bit on the SATA. But you still cant beat this deal at all.

DEAD DEAL. Current price $120

http://shop3.outpost.com/product/4596287

very hard not to bite on stuff like this. I just have to remember that when I'm finally ready to buy, this most likely will be close to the common price anyway.

anyone have this drive or know how many GBs it is formated? Thinking about getting rid of all my small drives and get 2 of these instead and wondering how much I'm going to be short.

aaronlidman said:
anyone have this drive or know how many GBs it is formated? Thinking about getting rid of all my small drives and get 2 of these instead and wondering how much I'm going to be short.

My 120 formats down to 111, and my 160 formats down to 149. Thats roughly a 7.5% loss, so if the same is true for this one, it will be about 370gb formated.

in for 2 also. Becareful with check out, they try and sneak 2 day shipping on you, i caught it on the "confim" stage.

Thanks for the formated math.

If ya really want to nitpick, my 400G PATA Seagate shows 400,085,811,200 bytes, or 372.61GB formatted in Windows.

thePP

i've been watching it go from 99 -> 94 and now to 89 had to jump on it. Thanks for posting it. and good catch on the 2 day shipping, almost got me.

nieve said:
i've been watching it go from 99 -> 94 and now to 89 had to jump on it. Thanks for posting it. and good catch on the 2 day shipping, almost got me.
89 -> ? (who knows!)

These sell for arround this on Ebay. I will wait for the SATA ones to come down again like they have in the past. I'm sure it wont be long.

ugh i can't stand this, every time i turn around they lower a price, i mean its good but pisses me off. I just purchased a 500 gb for 159 when i couldn't find a better deal, then i found a 400gb for 99 now this for 89!! ah!!!

xbox upgrade time. edit. these are 7200.10's too. or the listing says so with the perpendicular recording bit.

Falls Included said:
xbox upgrade time. edit. these are 7200.10's too. or the listing says so with the perpendicular recording bit.
hrm. i googled the part number listed in the item title and it came up as a 7200.7. not that i care much at that price, but were there any issues with that run?

This deal is really tempting, as I still use and would like to back up some PATA-only PCs.

I wonder if there is a hot deal out there on an external HD of this size or greater. Like something $150 or cheaper?

xsoulbrothax said:
hrm. i googled the part number listed in the item title and it came up as a 7200.7. not that i care much at that price, but were there any issues with that run?

Nope, the xxxx.7's are great too. The 10's are split between perpendicular recording and regular drive platters. They are all good, although the perp's are a touch faster. I wouldn't worry at this price. Too bad I just got a 300 GB from Office Max for $74 shipped!
:cool:

xdc said:
This deal is really tempting, as I still use and would like to back up some PATA-only PCs.

I wonder if there is a hot deal out there on an external HD of this size or greater. Like something $150 or cheaper?

Just buy a $40 external enclosure off the egg and then you have your own external backup!

brasherman said:
Just buy a $40 external enclosure off the egg and then you have your own external backup!
Good idea. Thanks, brasherman. I forgot I can forego expensive pre-built solutions and just DIY. :eek:

Not a bad deal at all. Looks like i have a use for my PATA 133 promise card after all lol.

brasherman said:
Nope, the xxxx.7's are great too. The 10's are split between perpendicular recording and regular drive platters. They are all good, although the perp's are a touch faster. I wouldn't worry at this price. Too bad I just got a 300 GB from Office Max for $74 shipped!
:cool:
Many thanks! I just remembered hearing vague talk of people being leery of the 7200.9's in particular, and I might as well be careful - one of my hard drives is making a very audible high-pitched whir, so I figure it's on the way out. :(

and mine's ordered :D

I just ordered mine. I heard of some people at fatwallet saying their orders were canceled after confirmation... we'll see what happens with this one.

The last 3 times I've bought these drives on an outpost deal I recieved 7200.9's. They have been running in R5 just fine. I just bought 2 more to add to the array.

Damn... My order shipped Yesterday, and I just checked the tracking and its out for delivery :D

Free shipping = Free next day, in my case. :D

EDIT: Also, the deal is dead. Its $120 now.

DHL just dropped off mine. as i speculated, its a 7200.10

they didn't make 7200.9's with perpendicular recording...

I just got mine in today. Wow that was fast shipping. Can't wait to get it into my computer.

Got mine today.... darn that was fast. It's a 7200.10 as well...

Some bad news though, seagate made a packaging mistake. You will notice your S/N info on the box is different on the drive. If you enter your warrenty info from the drive itself into seagates site they will say you have an OEM part and no warrenty.. Thanks seagate for screwing me

NormanNormal said:
Got mine today.... darn that was fast. It's a 7200.10 as well...

Some bad news though, seagate made a packaging mistake. You will notice your S/N info on the box is different on the drive. If you enter your warrenty info from the drive itself into seagates site they will say you have an OEM part and no warrenty.. Thanks seagate for screwing me

I thought the OEM's had 5 year warranties too. Why didn't you get one?

Back