• Yes, but can't afford it.

Votes: 35 38.9%
  • No, no need for that much room.

Votes: 19 21.1%
  • No, can't afford it.

Votes: 33 36.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
400GB, wow. Imagine all the err..."stuff" you could store on that! I thought my 200GB was the bees knees, now I feel inadequate :(

Ya know, I would love one of those, but yes 1) that is expensive and 2) I dont have the ability to fill HALF of that. Would be nice if WD and maxtor would catch the hell up already.

The Titan said:
Ya know, I would love one of those, but yes 1) that is expensive and 2) I dont have the ability to fill HALF of that. Would be nice if WD and maxtor would catch the hell up already.
While I would never tell you what you own needs are, I can tell you from experience...it doesn't matter how much room I have; I always seem to fill it. I have 900GB in this machine...and I could use more. But then again, I do a lot of DV video editing, and that eats space. Tools, laundry and digital data always seem to expand to fill the space they're in!

I have a 120GB in a file server thats brimming full, along with some 50GB of raid 50 in this box. I would like to put about 4 250GB into the server, but that's about all i really want... I dont want a 400GBer just yet.

O[H]-Zone said:
While I would never tell you what you own needs are, I can tell you from experience...it doesn't matter how much room I have; I always seem to fill it. I have 900GB in this machine...and I could use more. But then again, I do a lot of DV video editing, and that eats space. Tools, laundry and digital data always seem to expand to fill the space they're in!
Yes but I have to factor in that I do absolutely NONE of that. ;) Hell I have a 120 and that isnt even full.

the reason i'm looking at 400gb drives is because i want to build a SFF box (shuttle, most likely) with two of 400gb in RAID1. don't want a huge computer anymore... and yes, btw, my 4x200gb (2xRAID1) are almost full, but mostly with crap i can delete. well, ok, maybe 20% of crap i can delete. still enough room.

codeflux said:
the reason i'm looking at 400gb drives is because i want to build a SFF box (shuttle, most likely) with two of 400gb in RAID1. don't want a huge computer anymore... and yes, btw, my 4x200gb (2xRAID1) are almost full, but mostly with crap i can delete. well, ok, maybe 20% of crap i can delete. still enough room.
yeah that would be sweet, but the cost is really impractical

it's over $1 per GB compared to the 250GB drives out right now that you can get for around $0.50 per GB

for that price i BOUGHT 4 200gb 7200rpm 8mb drives
and a used adaptec raid 5 pata card
($85 each for the drives and $80 for the card)
so i have 600gb of fully backed up space for the same price.....

when they price them for under $250 each i will be impresed

BEST JD TCR said:
be careful windows XP only supports 137gb hard drive space. If you really want a 400gb HD
you will need the media edtion.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013
or either serpvice pack 1 or 2
its not an issue anymore, everyone is getting bigger and bigger drives

BEST JD TCR said:
be careful windows XP only supports 137gb hard drive space. If you really want a 400gb HD
you will need the media edtion.

um yeah, ok :rolleyes:

EnderW said:
um yeah, ok :rolleyes:
um yeah ok? what?
XP home & PRO only supports 137gb. i put a link from microsoft; now stop with those remarks, if you dont know waht you are talking about. Only media edtion supports more.

I know for a fact win2k will handle larger than 137 gig drives, the install may not be able to, but if you partition after windows is running you won't have any issue. You do NOT, repeate after me, DO NOT, need media center to handle larger drives. Budyy has win2k pro running a 500 gig array with out issues, i've got a 250 single drive installed on mine, and i can see it all no problems.

the Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) 48-bit Logical Block Addressing (LBA) support for ATA Packet Interface (ATAPI) disk drives that can increase the capacity of your hard disk to more than the current 137 gigabyte (GB) limit.

Note Windows XP does not support 48-bit LBA support unless you are running Windows XP SP1. If you want to use 48-bit LBA support, you must apply Windows XP SP1 or later. Windows XP Media Center Edition and Windows XP Tablet PC Edition already include SP1.

For additional information about the latest service pack for Windows XP, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322389 How to obtain the latest Windows XP service pack

why not just get 2 200gb for about $200 total?

heck, get 4 and have double the space for half the same cost.

BEST JD TCR said:
um yeah ok? what?
XP home & PRO only supports 137gb. i put a link from microsoft; now stop with those remarks, if you dont know waht you are talking about. Only media edtion supports more.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013

nope, wrong. i have a 200gb hard drive in my xp pro box, you just need sp1 and then partition the new chunk, then combine the 2 partions (130gb + 70gb) into one 200gb partition using partition magic.

BEST JD TCR said:
um yeah ok? what?

XP has supported more for years. If you don't have SP1 installed already, you're an idiot, thus you can assume that everyone here has sp1 already, and can install a bigger drive.

I'd buy two for my desktop if I could afford it.

As for fileservers I would definitely wait for SATA-2 or SATA-3 before dropping more than $1/gig.

BEST JD TCR said:
um yeah ok? what?

um yeah, ok, because I have TWO fucking 250GB hard drives and I'm using Windows XP Professional

now who doesn't know what the fuck they are talking about

try doing some research before opening your mouth...you see that title under your name? it's there for a reason

compslckr said:
nope, wrong. i have a 200gb hard drive in my xp pro box, you just need sp1 and then partition the new chunk, then combine the 2 partions (130gb + 70gb) into one 200gb partition using partition magic.

you don't even need to do that, I've done a single 250GB (232GB after overhead) partition before, no problems

From my last experience install somethng for someone on a 160 gig drive, xp would only install to 137 for the installation process, once it booted to windows though, it saw the rest of the drive as unpartitioned, milage may vary on that as they probably fixed later install version.

yeah, you can do the whole thing at once if your windows xp disk has sp1 or sp2 slipstreamed into it, which mine did not when i installed (now i have win xp pro sp1 and sp2 disks.)

Uh..most drive companys come with a disk setup software that will format the drive to what its supposed to be before windows is even installed. I just got a 250gig maxtor hd, installed maxblast3, formatted it to 250 gigs and windows MINUS service pack 1 recogonized it as a 250 gig hd. Following those rules you posted about ABSOLUTELY NEEDING sp1 is bs and for the average bozo that doesnt know how to configure hds prior to sp1.

400GB? Nah, not at $1/GB. Maybe when they get to $200 each I'll buy a few.

BEST JD TCR said:
the Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) ... the rest of the bullshit - snipped
i must flame you, not unlink EnterW did. a) your post sounds like a f*cking public service announcement from mirco$oft. b) i have a 200GB FAT32 partition (182GB effectively). FAT32 - not even NTFS. yes, on WinXP Pro SP1. care for me to include a screenshot?... now die.

codeflux said:
i must flame you, not unlink EnterW did. a) your post sounds like a f*cking public service announcement from mirco$oft. b) i have a 200GB FAT32 partition (182GB effectively). FAT32 - not even NTFS. yes, on WinXP Pro SP1. care for me to include a screenshot?... now die.
everyone knows that FAT32 can run on XP, whats your point.
Now Believe it or not, I am really new to the internet.

They're too costly for now, but once it gets down it'd be nice to replace a couple of 200GB drives with one of those, or maybe just replace them one-to-one ;)

Yeah...I'll wait a few months until they're down in price a bit. But I do want two of these, to RAID1 them for my data storage, and back them up to an external FireWire HD every couple weeks to store offsite.

FYI, I run 2000pro with a 180GB(172) drive, not that it matters after everyone's clarifications.

compslckr said:
why not just get 2 200gb for about $200 total?

heck, get 4 and have double the space for half the same cost.

Because it's uneconomically cool, not to mention spatially uneconomical :eek:

I can't justify $400 for storage.

BEST JD TCR said:
everyone knows that FAT32 can run on XP, whats your point.
Now Believe it or not, I am really new to the internet.

you mean XP will run on fat32 file system..not fat32 will run on xp..xp is the operating system that runs on the file allocation table buddy

This thread started out good... then just made me laugh so much. I've seen 200gb+ drives installed on XP without SP1, lol.

phaelinx said:
you mean XP will run on fat32 file system..not fat32 will run on xp..xp is the operating system that runs on the file allocation table buddy
I think you mean NTFS. Buddy!

NTFS define
An abbreviation for New Technology File System, Windows NT's "replacement for the DOS FAT (File Allocation Table)" and OS/2's HPFS (High-Performance File System). NTFS offers many advantages over other file systems, including improved security and the ability to reconstruct files in the event of hardware failures. Windows 3.1+ and Windows 95 can access files stored on NTFS volumes via a network connection but can't open NTFS files directly.

Back