$400 ish build for the wifey.

RAD

Limp Gawd
Wife has made it very clear that she wants a new desktop. This has got my long dormant builder junky senses tingling. I've been out of the hardware game for a long time, so I thought I would turn to my favorite group of hardware junkies to help plan my next project. The end result is for her, but it is practically a gift to me that I get to build a PC again.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

Web browsing, photoshop (well, GIMP anyway), video watching, massive music and media collection sorting/itunes/etc. Wife has some carpal tunnel syndrome issues so doesn't spend a TON of time on the computer at home. Need it to be fast and reliable to minimize her frustration. Need massive, reliable, accessible hard drive space. Her media collection (all of it legitimate) is absurd.

Needs to be minimal to 0 chance of stuttering or chugging when messing with videos, audio, playing stuff from the net, etc.

As much as I try to get her interested in gaming, it isn't a primary interest for her both because of the carpal tunnel syndrome issues and a general lack of interest in such things.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$400 (including tax/shipping), we can stretch higher if we have to, but would prefer to keep costs down. Getting under budget would also be greatly appreciated by our bank accounts, if the cost to performance isn't high. Just not sure where the sweet spot is right now for a machine that will meet her needs for years to come.

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
US, Northern California, north of Sacramento by a couple hours.

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
"Everything"... I kid, I kid. But really, everything you stuff in the box, box included. Case, CPU, RAM, GPU, Mobo, PSU, HDD(s), DVD/CD reader/burner (blu ray reader not necessary unless can be found cheap) ,extra fans if needed (probably not for this build, quiet final build is a bonus), CPU heatsink if you think it necessary, or could just slap the stock one on that comes with the cpu.

Oh, also, will need a good wifi adapter. Can be one that hooks in by usb (as long as it isn't intrusive) or can be one built into the case.The way our den is arranged there is no clean way to get a ethernet cord to our router unobtrusively and she hates extra cords, hence the need for wifi built in.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Have spares of all the peripherals (monitor, mouse, keyboard).

Won't be reusing any hardware from in the case or the case itself. The current machine is painfully ancient, an HP a706n from 2003. I refurbbed for her as best i could about five years ago (more ram, best gpu I could find that would fit in it, etc) but it's end of life has come as her patience has run out.

6) Will you be overclocking?
Not on this. Since it is the wife's computer, stability is a high priority.

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
Current monitor is a 20" Acer AL2016W. 1680x1050 res. Could get her a better monitor, but it isn't something she cares about particularly.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Between now and X-Mas, whenever costs are good. Technically an X-Mas present, but the wife and I are pretty flexible on when the gifts happen.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
No special needs from the Mobo on this one.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Yes, have several legitimate Windows 7 licenses (both 32 bit and 64 bit) ready to be deployed.

Can you buy everything now? Here's one build to consider:

$162 - AMD A8-5600K and Gigabyte GA-F2A85XM-D3H combo
$60 - Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM
$65 - WD Blue 1TB HDD
$17 - Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS SATA DVD burner (includes $3 discount promo code EMCXLWV24, expires 9/18)
$15 - Rosewill RNX-N150PCe IEEE 802.11n PCI-E wireless adapter
$40 - Corsair CX430 430W PSU
$30 - NZXT Source 210 ATX mid-tower case
=====
$389 - Subtotal (not including shipping, taxes, or rebates)

With your preference for multitasking, I decided to focus more on the quad-core than the video power. I went with AMD because of the comparatively better IGP and lower overall costs than Intel. (The embedded Radeon HD 7560D is more than capable of handling 1080p video.)

I tried to refresh my memory on the recommended system requirements for GIMP, but I couldn't find anything indicating whether or not GIMP benefits from GPU acceleration. That, plus budget limitations, is why I stuck with onboard video instead of a dedicated video card.

I went with a PCI Express-based wifi card because it is cheaper and has (arguably) better range than most USB wifi adapters. The wifi card works in the PCI-E x1 slot or either of the two PCI-E x16 slots (the second slot is x4 electronically).

Before people scream at me by not going with the NZXT Source 210 Elite, I believe that the "plain" Source 210 case is the best $30 case available. (If you're willing to spend the extra $15 to $20, the Elite model is worth the money.)

I know that the total exceeds $400 once taxes factor in, but I was trying to build the best sub-$400 system possible. If you really want to cut costs, you may have to go with a dual-core instead.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Would prefer not to go with a pre-built, just because that ruins the fun for me of doing the build.

That really isn't an issue if you use software removal tools or reinstall the OS.
For the re-install option it is my understanding you need to contact Microsoft for a Windows disc, if Windows 8 was pre-installed. Am I right?

Would prefer not to go with a pre-built, just because that ruins the fun for me of doing the build.

Dell computers come all with Intel CPU's. Their integrated graphics are not as good as those of AMD APU's anyway... Their energy consumption are a little better though.

Tiraides build seems pretty good for your needs. Trying to cut costs would compromise performances and quality with low-end/shitty parts.

Last edited:

ok, so how does that make sense since you said:
"Since it is the wife's computer, stability is a high priority."
and you said you've been out of hardware for a while.

so just go with an already built PC from B&H or Best Buy or J&R or PC Richards.

ok, so how does that make sense since you said:
"Since it is the wife's computer, stability is a high priority."
and you said you've been out of hardware for a while.

so just go with an already built PC from B&H or Best Buy or J&R or PC Richards.

Just because it has been a while since I built a computer doesn't mean I can't build a more stable unit that a prebuilt POS and get more bang for the buck and better quality parts all around for my wife. Not to mention I said I ENJOY building when given the opportunity.

The trash prebuilts I've seen sold to family and friends from Best Buy and B&H in particular certainly don't make me want to shop there.

Make sense yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyway, RAD, what are your thoughts on the build Tiraides made?

I think tiraides suggestions look great. Will have to do a bit more research/get the budget in line before I pull the trigger.

Any thoughts on whether those specs would serve well as 24/7 media server for the house (from a power consumption, noise level, etc, point of view)?

I used to run my desktop for this purpose but I am a bit of a cheapskate and it does actually have a noticeable impact on my monthly power bill to leave it on when not in use.

Any thoughts on whether those specs would serve well as 24/7 media server for the house (from a power consumption, etc, point of view)?
For the most part, it'll do that job fine. It will use significantly less power than your current desktop (assuming your sig is up-to-date). Probably like 20% at most of what your main system draws now. However, if you can, key word is "can", I would spend the extra $14 for the NZXT Source 210 Elite since it does come with an extra fan and has a front panel USB 3.0. The former would be helpful to keep the system even cooler. The latter would allow for easier access to USB 3.0 ports should you get a USB 3.0 flash drive/external drive. If you cannot spend that extra $14, the regular NZXT Source 210 is still one of the best $30 cases around as Tiraides noted.

Thanks for the information again, very helpful. Yes, the sig desktop is still what I am using.

Oh and I should add that the NZXT Source 210 will still provide sufficient cooling for that PC. It's just nicer to have a second and larger fan is all.

To further elaborate on what Dangman already said, the NZXT Source 210 (either model) can support up to seven case fans, to include two 140mm (top mounted, though you could also use 120mm) fans. The basic Source 210 comes with one 120mm rear fan; the Source 210 Elite comes with one 120mm rear fan and one 140mm top fan.

Also, the $15-to-$20 price premium of the Source 210 Elite gives you an additional (140mm) fan, one USB 3.0 front port, and tool-less drive bays (three external 5.25 inch and eight internal 3.5 inch). So it's worth paying the premium.

B&H in particular certainly don't make me want to shop there.

Make sense yet?

B&H and J&R do build custom orders. In fact, you can buy parts from B&H and build a machine yourself. I would trust a store that's been in business 30 years in a tough market.

Going to start ordering as prices come across sales. Heh... The white version of the 210 elite case is $43 on amazon right now. I thought that was a great deal, was about to push "order" and wife leans over my shoulder and goes "A white case? Really? That would look so dirty!" So I guess I pay $50 for the black version.

www.amazon.com/NZXT-Source-210-ELITE-Midtower/dp/B005869IUY

Hmmm...might as well get the 200R then:
$60 - Corsair Carbide Series 200R ATX Case

Going to start ordering as prices come across sales. Heh...

You might as well start now: The Crucial Ballistix RAM currently has a 15% discount promo code (which expires on 9/30) that pushes it down to around $55.

You might as well start now: The Crucial Ballistix RAM currently has a 15% discount promo code (which expires on 9/30) that pushes it down to around $55.

OK, RAM ordered w/ coupon code.

Is there a significant difference between the Corsair 200R at $60 and the NZXT 210e at $50?

Also, regarding the AMD A8-5600K APU, I've seen a bit of scattered reviews here and there on sites complaining about weak cooling from the stock HSF (especially in the case of an "always on" system). Should I be considering putting another $15 to $20 to strap a HSF on it? Perhaps something like this? www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-101a-RR-H101-22FK-RA/dp/B002XZM0I0/

The big differences between the 200r And the 210 elite is that the 200r is of slightly higher quality, has slightly better cable management, and has mounts for a ssd.

I would go for the higher end coolermaster hyper 212+ since it cools better and is very very quiet.

The big differences between the 200r And the 210 elite is that the 200r is of slightly higher quality, has slightly better cable management, and has mounts for a ssd.

I would go for the higher end coolermaster hyper 212+ since it cools better and is very very quiet.

Thanks for the info. Looks like the 212+ has a $10 rebate at the moment so long run it is almost identical price as the 101.

I went through and completed the ordering today.

Newegg was running a 1 day 10% off coupon (though sadly it didn't full stack with the bundled cpu/mobo) so was able to trim a bit off the cost there. Also, I was able to track down a spare wireless adapter I had on hand (surprisingly the same one you recommended) I didn't have to buy another one of those.

Thanks, as always, for the advice all! I will be sure to throw a picture or two up when it is done, if I remember.

I didn't trust shoprunner with my credit card info for the free trial (wow their reseller ratings are terrible) so I did end up getting stuck by newegg for shipping which blew, but I will live. I miss the days of newegg running almost completely free shipping.

Most everything arrived today, so will hopefully get time to build this weekend. I pulled the 212+ out of the box to make sure it came with some thermal paste (it has some generic thing which I am sure will be fine), apparently threw out my old tube of arctic silver. That HSF is a freaking huge brick. Hopefully it fits, may be really tight, searching around about people fitting that HSF into that case is going to be a matter of millimeters...

Thanks again for the advice all. Everything built out and is running fine. Sorry, no pictures this go around, camera's battery was dead when I was working on stuff yesterday. As notes to myself more than anything else, I did hit the following issues:

Case stuff:
1) My cable management blows. I should have popped the extra $10 for the 200r, the 212e is a bit cramped and there was no elegant way to get the 8 pin power connector to it's slot on the board without just letting it hang in the case.
2) The CM 212+ fits by probably less than one millimeter. It is in there but I was nervous.
3) The 2 fans that come in the 210e have all kinds of pointless extra power dongles on the cord after the 3 prong that goes to the motherboard. They just hang in the case and look ugly (not that anyone really is spending any time looking in the case). A little annoying.

Other issues:
1) On first Win7 boot up after install I had no network adapter, no gpu support, and no usb 3.0 drivers... Installing drivers from the motherboard cd fixed all of that, but I was surprised that there was no native support at all.
2) I really am not a fan of the spring loaded screws that hold the 212+ hsf to the apu, it wiggles ever so slightly when you touch it and there is nothing you can do about it. I am used to a much firmer mounting bracket for HSFs. That said, temps are rock solid so it is all good.

All in all, a successful build and I am very happy with the machine I have going for my wife (and to serve as our home media server). Thanks again all for all of the guidance.

Back