$400 for 290...say what!!!!

I also notice a lot of people whining about heat/noise have very old setups. How the new cards are even relevant to them, I have no idea..

Honestly its not even a big deal or that loud. If your expecting near silent operation then you shouldnt be looking at flagship cards

That fan is loud. Its been loud since the HD 4000 series. It was loud in the 5000 series. It was still loud in the 6000 series. Also, it may or may not have been loud in the 7000 series cards. Guess what it is today?

Its obvious they can develop nicer coolers, why not push them to do the best they can and not just accept the crap they want to give to us while keeping the profit margins as big as possible?

People like quiet computers, I had a group of friends over at my house wanting to build their own gaming machines and the very first thing they commented on was the fact that they can't hear my machine while playing a game.

I cant say everyone cares about a quiet computer. Up until a couple years ago, I could give a shit about a quiet computer. I used to run a reference cooler on my 5850 100% while gaming just to push the overclock on it. I also had Delta 38mm fans cooling my i7-920 @ 4.5ghz.

For some people, sound isnt an issue. For me these days, it is even though it may not be as much as it is to some people. I have a Noctua D14 and its the loudest thing in my system to give perspective.

I cant say everyone cares about a quiet computer. Up until a couple years ago, I could give a shit about a quiet computer. I used to run a reference cooler on my 5850 100% while gaming just to push the overclock on it. I also had Delta 38mm fans cooling my i7-920 @ 4.5ghz.

For some people, sound isnt an issue. For me these days, it is even though it may not be as much as it is to some people. I have a Noctua D14 and its the loudest thing in my system to give perspective.

I didn't say it was important to everyone, just that you can't discard the possiblity of it being important at all. It is a very narrow minded view to say "performance is all that matters, who cares about noise" when that is just a personal opinion. There are whole forums dedicated to quiet PC's. The temp issue is a little different, many people just feel uncomfortable with it even though AMD says it is ok. It might be an irrational fear, but if someone would spend a little more to have a better cooler why should that matter?

Shitty reference coolers might partially be due to partner pressure. I mean nonreference cards have much more appeal with shitty reference coolers

Because for $40 used, $60 new, you can buy an aftermarket cooler that will be better than anything any of these manufacturers will offer in another month. Would it have been so bad for AMD to design a halfway decent reference cooler and bump the cost by $20?

Imagine AMD selling these things for $420 w/ OC headroom and less noise. Instead, they chose the cheap and easy way out.

On a high performance machine, you cant have quiet and performance as one takes away from the other.

I can go out and get an AC3X and have a cool card thats quieter with increasing performance. Lets see you slap a quieter muffler on that 1000hp beast and see better performance ;/

This is 100% false. Stop comparing computer components to fucking internal combustion engines, shit is not the same. Water cooling lets you have quiet and performance. Matter of fact, it is both MORE quiet and MORE performance. Now go back to whining about your overpriced nvidia card.:rolleyes:

Honestly its not even a big deal or that loud. If your expecting near silent operation then you shouldnt be looking at flagship cards

It's pretty darn loud. I had a 290X (just returned it to Amazon) and my 780s in SLI with the reference Titan cooler are much quieter than a single 290X in Uber mode. Can't imagine what they'd be like in CF.

I wonder if you go on a car forum and hear people whine about how loud there 1000hp mustang is and that it sucks because it so loud running 8 second quarter miles.

Sounds like me, except my trans am was only in low 12s with a good launch. cam, headers, 3800 stall, tuned, solid motor mounts. By the time i got it where i wanted performance wise, i couldnt stand to daily drive it. sure it was fun around the block, but i essentially ruined it since it was my daily driver.

Though I think the analogy is blown way out of proportion. Sure the 290x is fast, but i really doubt its any louder then my previous video cards... If that turned out to be false, i would assume poor thermal paste application or i would redo the fan profiles and maybe downclock it slightly.

How long before brands like Sapphire release their Vapor-X or equivalent versions? Knowing sapphire, a 290 will come with a dual bios to operate it at a 290x. That's how its been with my previous 3 cards I bought from them.

It's pretty darn loud. I had a 290X (just returned it to Amazon) and my 780s in SLI with the reference Titan cooler are much quieter than a single 290X in Uber mode. Can't imagine what they'd be like in CF.

How much trouble was it to return your X? I ordered to standard 290s and want to return my X to Amazon also.

For a card with this performance at $399 I'll put up with some fan noise or just wear my frikin headphones.:rolleyes:

what is the 290 compared to the old 7 series?

280x = 7970....
290 = ??

It is the successor to the 7950.

In regards to market segment:
290x = 7970
290 = 7950
280x = 7870

Performance:
290x = +25-30% over 7970Ghz
290 = +20-25% over 7970Ghz
280x = ~7970Ghz

hes serious?
the 290 is the all new card that cant be compared to anything

Yes, was serious since this line is the old with some new additions to the cards...? It isn't a "whole new card" at all....

I had heard the 280x was the 7970 / 7950 range originally.

It is the successor to the 7950.

In regards to market segment:
290x = 7970
290 = 7950
280x = 7870

Performance:
290x = +25-30% over 7970Ghz
290 = +20-25% over 7970Ghz
280x = ~7970Ghz

Good to know as i previously had a 7950 in my rig i sold and didn't want to go down so wanted to check the approximate performance ranges.

Last edited:
Amazon will take it back no questions asked. Got a full refund, just had to pay return shipping.

In this case I don't think they'll care, because it's not like they won't sell it again. Thought about throwing it on craigs list since i know the asic score and it's still hard to find.

Back