$400 budget productivity build w/ monitor

Axsuul

Limp Gawd
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

Productivity apps, web browsing, office multi-tasking

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

$400, tax and shipping included

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.

Los Angeles, CA

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

CPU, MOBO, RAM, HDD/SSD, PSU, Case, Monitor (at least 24")

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

Keyboard + Mouse

6) Will you be overclocking?

No

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

Immediately

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.

Onboard video

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

Already have OS (Windows 8 Pro 64-bit)

Do you have a microcenter near by?

CPU: Celeron G550 http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Celeron-Dual-Core-Processor-BX80623G550/dp/B008MHV33G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1360563450&sr=8-3&keywords=Celeron+G550
(they are at microcenter for $34 which is a huge steal)

Comes with integrated graphics that are pretty good, I use this in my media center that does great on Win 7 ultimate sp1 64bit, xbmc bluray rips play flawlessly.

I'll look around for other parts to add in but this would be a good base imo.

EDIT:

Check out this build for ideas: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CMW7

Highly recommend the case/psu combo from that list and I couldn't find the G550 from pcpartpicker but G540 is basically the same thing. PSU is overkill on that build as it'll draw maybe 180 watts but gives you room to grow plus psu degradation figures in as well that way.

Double edit, didn't see you already had keyboard and mouse, that frees up some budget - leaves you at $373.16.

Not enough room for a SSD but you could wait a bit and then add it in.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Awesome, thanks for the build recommendation. It all looks pretty good, might have to add a SSD to this to make it blazin'.

If you have enough money to add in an SSD to that are you sure you don't want to consider upgrading other components? Granted an SSD is a fantastic addition. If you do -just- an SSD (if it's enough room) perhaps that'll give you some leeway as well.

Back