40" Samsung UN40KU6290 4K $290 at Best Buy (or $265 with $25/$200 Amex offer)

I'm on the fence to get this samsung or try that LeEco (the company who bought Vizio) and their 43" 4K with 10 bit panel HDR10 for $349.

Last edited:
Bought this today, coming from a 2560x1080 LG ultrawide its pretty amazing playing bf4 in 4k. Just finished a 3hr gaming session and it did seem to give me some eyestrain though. Ill give it a week and decide if im going to keep it but so far its a pretty impressive panel for $300 .

Bought this today, coming from a 2560x1080 LG ultrawide its pretty amazing playing bf4 in 4k. Just finished a 3hr gaming session and it did seem to give me some eyestrain though. Ill give it a week and decide if im going to keep it but so far its a pretty impressive panel for $300 .

Keep the backlight at 10 or higher to keep PWM off. Also may just be taking you a bit to adjust to such a big screen.

Last edited:
It's back at Best Buy for $299!!!!! Open box are $267!
Samsung - 40" Class (40" Diag.) - LED - 2160p - Smart - 4K Ultra HD TV - Dark titan
  • Model: UN40KU6290FXZA
  • SKU: 5622308
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...&acampID=397065c206fd11e7b06d32f5ccbf389d0INT

Nice, thanks for the linkage and heads up. Just picked up two of them and we'll see how things go. One will be driven by a GTX1080 and the other a 980Ti, so hopefully there will be enough horsepower to run things nicely.

Nice, thanks for the linkage and heads up. Just picked up two of them and we'll see how things go. One will be driven by a GTX1080 and the other a 980Ti, so hopefully there will be enough horsepower to run things nicely.
It'll work fine. The 1080 can game at 4K with most stuff at decent settings, the 980TI would likely be better at 1440, though.

Link please.

EDIT Never mind, according to Rtings it doesn't do 4:4:4.. :/

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/leeco/super4

EDIT again, ugh, seems like there's conflicting info on the 4:4:4

http://forum.le.com/us/index.php?th...4-4-chroma-subsampling.3530/page-2#post-30432

That is conflicting info mhm...

I was going off by the 55" review which states it has 4:4:4

http://4k.com/tv/leeco-super-4-x55-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-tv-review/

I guess I might just hold out a bit longer.

I have seen plenty of people saying it does 4:4:4, but only on HDMI 1 and when you turn on the proper settings.

I just got one, and haven't had time to futz with the tutorials or settings yet for all of it.

Oh!!! Please let us know or message us after you played with it. The ball and chain won't let me get anything more expenisive =(

Link please.

EDIT Never mind, according to Rtings it doesn't do 4:4:4.. :/

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/leeco/super4

EDIT again, ugh, seems like there's conflicting info on the 4:4:4

http://forum.le.com/us/index.php?th...4-4-chroma-subsampling.3530/page-2#post-30432
100% does 4:4:4 even on 1st-gen HDMI 2.0 GPUs from Nvidia (Maxwell) and even does HDR (advertised on Samsung's spec pages).

On Nvidia, in the NVCP under display properties, it will show either RGB or YcBcR 4:4:4 if all parts of the chain are supported at 4K/60, or YcBcR 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 if something in the chain isn't up to spec.

Great monitor at this price, I move the Switch to it as well and it works great. :)

1. Make sure you use HDMI 1 input
2. Set HDMI 1 input to PC. On Remote: Home > Up > HDMI 1 > Up > Edit > PC
3. enable "UHD Color" (in the TV settings menu: Picture > Expert Settings > HDMI UHD Color > HDMI1 > On)
4. Make sure video card is set to 60Hz. (most GPUs default to 30Hz for some reason)
5. Set 4:4:4 color output in your GPU settings (NVIDIA Control Panel, etc)
6. Scale text to a comfortable level (I like it at native - 100% - which means no scaling)

Quoting this for the new batch of people ordering to set this up right.

Last edited:
I have the KU6300 which is the same thing, I dont run it in 4:4:4 mode just because i can notice the difference that 10ms of additional input lag adds in that mode. Theres a big difference from me going from 30ish down to 19ms

I have the KU6300 which is the same thing, I dont run it in 4:4:4 mode just because i can notice the difference that 10ms of additional input lag adds in that mode. Theres a big difference from me going from 30ish down to 19ms

What color output do you use?

I picked up two of these yesterday, one for my girlfriend and one for my dad. Made my dad upgrade from a 27" Yamakasi that I gave him years ago as he would always complain about needing more "real estate" on is monitor, and so far he is very unexpectedly pleased.

Also, I can confirm it does 4:4:4 with the appropriate settings listed above.

Now do I go buy one for my own office? hm!

What color output do you use?
RGB 8BPC Full Dynamic Range

I have the TV set to game mode. Ive looked at it in 4:4:4 and without(game mode), I dont really notice the difference in games i play. I am not saying there isnt. just whatever is there isnt enough to make me trade it for more input lag.

Oh!!! Please let us know or message us after you played with it. The ball and chain won't let me get anything more expenisive =(
4K @ 60Hz, 8 Bit, 4:4:4
Works flawlessly.
(Granted I can't game at that on my 950, but it displays it beautifully!)

I just picked one up ay my local bb. i had a b-day card from them and it gave me an additional 10% off. my 780 isn't dirving it at 4:4:4 but i was looking at a new build anyway. colors are pretty good, on par with my LG 34" ultrawide.

Works flawlessly.

Using the same settings on both of mine (GTX 1080 & GTX980Ti) - both work flawlessly and look amazing. My primary entertainment of choice is Elite Dangerous:Horizons and I'm coming from a Dell 34" widescreen. I'll have to used to the 16:9 ratio again, but I was extremely pleased once I engaged is a bit of space combat! Not a single regret at this point, graphics are amazing, and for $329 out the door I'd highly recommend it!

Grabbed one for 317 OTD. Kentucky taxes are cheap (I live in Illinois), a road trip is in order. Just told the wife LOL.

Got one myself for 325 OTD..I also live in Illinois. but Kentucky is a bit far. Im close to St Louis.

Link please.
100% does 4:4:4 even on 1st-gen HDMI 2.0 GPUs from Nvidia (Maxwell) and even does HDR (advertised on Samsung's spec pages).

On Nvidia, in the NVCP under display properties, it will show either RGB or YcBcR 4:4:4 if all parts of the chain are supported at 4K/60, or YcBcR 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 if something in the chain isn't up to spec.

Great monitor at this price, I move the Switch to it as well and it works great. :)

That's regarding a LeEco mentioned earlier in the thread not the Samsung of the OP. The KU6290/KU6300/KU7000 accept HDR signals but don't display them properly (though the KU7000 does have the expanded gamut) and is no better than SDR.

Apparently the LeEco Super4 accepts 4:4:4 but displays it as 4:2:0. Deal breaker.

Ordered one on Sunday and it arrives tomorrow (Wednesday). Can anyone who has gotten their TV set "just right" recommend their setting to the rest of us to try? Also, how far are you sitting from the TV when using these settings?

Thank you ...

Thank you. I was planning on about the same distance myself with a wall mount.
Yep, mine is wall mounted as well.
Excuse the wire mess, been redoing some stuff back there...
20170305_174345.jpg

Works flawlessly.

Sound great! Maybe I'm a noob but why isn't it running 10 bit? Unless that is a total different matter?

That's regarding a LeEco mentioned earlier in the thread not the Samsung of the OP. The KU6290/KU6300/KU7000 accept HDR signals but don't display them properly (though the KU7000 does have the expanded gamut) and is no better than SDR.

Apparently the LeEco Super4 accepts 4:4:4 but displays it as 4:2:0. Deal breaker.

If it is what you say, it is definitely a deal breaker for me too. I'm not finding any sources though that says it displays at 4:2:0. Is it something you read or something you experience personally?

Works flawlessly.

Please explain "Granted I can't game on my 950 ..."

Are you referring to FPSs ... or any game at all? What limitations should I expect with a GTX 950 and using this display at 4K?

I play mostly WoT, WoW, Steel ocean and assorted (older) RTSs like the Homeworld Series. Not graphically intensive but was hoping the GTX 950 would be able to handle it on this display.

Thank you ...

A 950 has absolutely 0 chance of gaming anything even remotely tough at 4K.
It just doesn't have the horsepower to do it.

Older games may work fine on it though. I wouldn't hold your breath on WoW though, it's surprisingly GPU heavy.

Last edited:
Sound great! Maybe I'm a noob but why isn't it running 10 bit? Unless that is a total different matter?

At this point it's probably the HDMI cable. If I reduce to 4:2:2 I get 10 and 12 as options. But for now I'm completely happy at 8 bit.

A 950 has absolutely 0 chance of gaming anything even remotely tough at 4K.
It just doesn't have the horsepower to do it.

Older games may work fine on it though. I wouldn't hold your breath on WoW though, it's surprisingly GPU heavy.

Have you confirmed this? I ask because if not, I will have a little project on my hands once I get it set up. The most graphically-intensive game that I play (I think) is Serious Sam III ... and that is years old. I much prefer RTSs. I'll have to report back once I get it tested ... oh, the excitement!

Thanks again ...

Back