40" Samsung UN40KU6290 4K $290 at Best Buy (or $265 with $25/$200 Amex offer)

Bought for $255 (NO CA SALES TAX) for a spoiled little kid who could use a new computer monitor. Thank you so much, Lautreamont!

why 400x400 lol. i got a full refund for my malfunctioning D40u-D1 and i was going to replace it with this but now i don't know how i can mount it to my ergotron arm which i already had to use an adapter to expand it from 100x100 to 200x200. any ideas?

Isn't the VESA holes 200x200 on the TV?

I got mine at Costco and I think the warranty is good but remember you also have a 90-day return window as well.
Yeah I just dont' think $35 is enough to go through the hassle of boxing the one I set up already and bringing it back to Costco, while also considering the 2nd year of warranty.

I think I'm going to return this tv. I don't have alot of confidence in it. I replaced it once because of the blue lines which the second has as well. I went to turn it on today and was greeted with this (menus looked the same as below):

DM5iwMy.jpg

Turning it off and back on again fixed it but its pretty clear this tv in general has issues.

Wow munkle that looks bad sorry to see it. My set has been working flawless since purchase and I swear I keep getting it dialed in better and better. I am guessing since you have multiple HDMI cables in the pic you have tried different ones. I am just using a shitting one that came with my DTV reliever that says Hi-Speed.

You should really connect it to a difference source / PC to rule things out. It's crazy unlikely 2 of them are bad.

Multiple other people have stated in this thread they have the same blue line issue. If multiple people state they get the same line issue then its not pc. First tv never did the crazy colors but I only had it one day.

Multiple other people have stated in this thread they have the same blue line issue. If multiple people state they get the same line issue then its not pc. First tv never did the crazy colors but I only had it one day.

Maybe you somehow did get 2 that are bad, I now remember you saying it did it in the apps as well. Hell at the price I would try a third just to be sure. I am running a 980TI on a cheap cable and I have been in and out of the menu OFF/ON trying to see if I can make mine do the blue lines and I get nothing.

Tried to buy the tv tonight @ hhgregg & it didn't qualify. Apparently the store manager has a secret list of about 7 LG/SONY/SAMSUNG tvs that qualify and the 40" samsung @ $299.99 doesn't.

Last edited:
Tried to buy the tv tonight @ hhgregg & it didn't qualify. Apparently the store manager has a secret list of about 7 LG/SONY/SAMSUNG tvs that qualify and the 40" samsung @ $299.99 doesn't.
Can't do it online anymore? I had it in cart yesterday, code applied, gave option for free ship or in-store pickup, $255+tax.

I think I'm going to return this tv. I don't have alot of confidence in it. I replaced it once because of the blue lines which the second has as well. I went to turn it on today and was greeted with this (menus looked the same as below):

DM5iwMy.jpg

Turning it off and back on again fixed it but its pretty clear this tv in general has issues.

The TV might very well be fine. I had something similar happen a couple times with a higher end KS8500 and when I switched HDMI cables to a monoprice certified HDMI 2 cable it didn't happen again. Could be a video driver issue as well. Around the same time I changed cables I installed an NVIDIA gpu and it hasn't happened with NVIDIA drivers so I'm not sure if it's the driver or the cable. I had used an AMD card and also Intel on board GPU. I can't remember which gpu I was using when I had this issue. Either way it was rare and I've gone a long time without a recurrence, so I would say it's probably not an indication of a hardware defect.

Last edited:
Received a cancellation notice from HHGregg on my 40KU6290 purchase @255, even though I purchased like 10min after OP put the deal out here.

It was a Christmas present (not for me), so fuck HHGregg. Will never be buying from them again.

So, I have a question. Is this suitable as a PC/Gaming monitor? Which would be more suitable, the 32" HP Omen, or this? I got an Omen through Costco, but if this is better, I can return the Omen. I have a 980 Ti.

I bought one from newegg for $300, I'll let you guys know how it is

Received a cancellation notice from HHGregg on my 40KU6290 purchase @255, even though I purchased like 10min after OP put the deal out here.

It was a Christmas present (not for me), so fuck HHGregg. Will never be buying from them again.
That sucks, really great way for HHGregg to ensure first time buyers are last time buyers I guess, I saw that post shortly after you ordered and it clearly allowed you to add to cart and apply the coupon. They should have at least honored the orders that got placed, as that was nearly a week ago! That said I am glad I didn't bother going through the trouble of trying to order through HHGregg and returning the one I got from Costco!

So, I have a question. Is this suitable as a PC/Gaming monitor? Which would be more suitable, the 32" HP Omen, or this? I got an Omen through Costco, but if this is better, I can return the Omen. I have a 980 Ti.
In terms of panel quality, I think this Samsung is going to be better for sure, the panel looks amazing with 4K and 4:4:4 subchroma on Maxwell or newer Nvidia cards or Polaris AMD cards. As a gaming panel....a 980Ti is going to have trouble gaming natively at 4K, but 1440p is just about perfect. You won't benefit from the 75Hz or FreeSync from what it sounds like so that's not really a benefit for you over the 60Hz. It sounds like input lag and tearing are worse on the 4K panel so you would probably have to enable Vsync and deal with higher input lag than the Omen. I just told my wife if she wants to game on it, she'll have to reduce the rez to 1080p because her 970 definitely isn't enough to push it at 4K native.

I am tempted to get a 2nd one of these as my workspace monitor though and downsize the 3 other companion panels to just this 1, the only minor annoyance we are having is that you have to use the remote to power it on/off as it doesn't wake up from sleep like traditional PC monitors do.

That sucks, really great way for HHGregg to ensure first time buyers are last time buyers I guess, I saw that post shortly after you ordered and it clearly allowed you to add to cart and apply the coupon. They should have at least honored the orders that got placed, as that was nearly a week ago! That said I am glad I didn't bother going through the trouble of trying to order through HHGregg and returning the one I got from Costco!

In terms of panel quality, I think this Samsung is going to be better for sure, the panel looks amazing with 4K and 4:4:4 subchroma on Maxwell or newer Nvidia cards or Polaris AMD cards. As a gaming panel....a 980Ti is going to have trouble gaming natively at 4K, but 1440p is just about perfect. You won't benefit from the 75Hz or FreeSync from what it sounds like so that's not really a benefit for you over the 60Hz. It sounds like input lag and tearing are worse on the 4K panel so you would probably have to enable Vsync and deal with higher input lag than the Omen. I just told my wife if she wants to game on it, she'll have to reduce the rez to 1080p because her 970 definitely isn't enough to push it at 4K native.

I am tempted to get a 2nd one of these as my workspace monitor though and downsize the 3 other companion panels to just this 1, the only minor annoyance we are having is that you have to use the remote to power it on/off as it doesn't wake up from sleep like traditional PC monitors do.

I have a 980ti and game on this tv at 4k just fine. You just cant max the settings on new games.

DM5iwMy.jpg

I had an almost exact same experience as you, except I disabled and re-enabled the UHD feature on the TV and it went away. I've been using the TV for a week now and it hasn't returned. I can say CIV VI on this thing is awesome.

Can someone speak more to the input lag? How would it compare to a traditional 1440p monitor capable of 60 hz

x2, same here.

Sent the link to a buddy as soon as I saw this, not even 2-3 posts yet on the thread and he received a cancellation letter earlier this morning as well.

Won't be shopping there anymore either.

Can someone speak more to the input lag? How would it compare to a traditional 1440p monitor capable of 60 hz

input lag isn't bad in game mode. In standard mode its noticeable.

I use http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime for testing.

I generally score 170-180 on my ASUS VG248QE (1ms, 144hz, 1080p) which is by far the best monitor I have for input lag. This Samsung 4k I generally score in the 210-220ms range in game mode, and 310-320 ms in standard mode.

I have had zero issues with this Tv as a PC monitor. Running 4096x2160 @ 60hz or true 4k . I picked mine up from Costco.

got mine in last night, it had the lines for the first 10 minutes. I ran the TV all night with 4k content and didnt notice it any more.

looks great IMO. Just using for roku stuff, not as a monitor. 10/10 would buy again.

I bought this and tried to use as a PC monitor (coming from a Auria 27" 1440p monitor). Using it as a workspace was fairly nice and looked really good at 4k after adjusting the icon sizing in Windows to be close to what I was coming from at 27"/1440p. However, for gaming, I felt the image quality was not as good as my previous monitor, and found I was getting motion sickness due to the huge screen size, even when I sat back a few extra feet, so I ended up returning it. I don't recommend it for gaming at all unless you sit far back enough (but at that point why even bother running 4k? if you sit far back), but to each their own. I did end up getting in on that Costco 32" HP Omen deal so I'll see if that one is better for gaming and not too large.

I have a 7970 CF setup and I was able to get 4k @ 60 Hz via active displayport-->hdmi adapter. But obviously I had to run some games still at 1440p to get usable framerates, definitely gave me the upgrade itch for my GPU setup. Must hold out for new AMD cards in Q1 :)

Last edited:
Works great as a monitor for me and single player gaming is immersive and looks great.

Just returned this after discovering the 6290 model does not have HDR or game mode support making it unusable due to high response time.

Also the display quality is poor and there was a blue menu that kept flickering randomly.

Get a dell or phillips IPS monitor instead.

Just returned this after discovering the 6290 model does not have HDR or game mode support making it unusable due to high response time.

Also the display quality is poor and there was a blue menu that kept flickering randomly.

It certainly does have game mode, I played DayZ 4k on it last night, seemed fine to me.

Is there another 40" 4k screen that is better and still cost $300 or less?

The screen did look horrid at first, but you just need to fiddle with the settings. Did you research this before you bought it?

You must have been doing it wrong. Monitor most definitely supports game mode and the same HDR that any other monitor in this price range supports. Others reported the blue lines on the menu so that may be an issue but I have yet to see anything like it on my 6290.

By default, my Samsung TV's HDR settings had to be enable manually for the 1st time. Samsung calls their HDR "HDMI UHD Color"

Menu -> Picture -> Picture Options -> HDMI UHD Color -> On-> (Select which HDMI port you want HDR on) -> Restart

After googling online on my particular model and re-calibrating it, the colors are much better and the blurriness is gone!

thank you so much for the link, i had ordered one fro Amazon Warehouse deals but it came damaged, and they said they didint have one for the same price anymore, i hope this one is arrives undamaged.

I was at BEST BUY last night (Saturaday, 12/10/2016) and they had 4 of these on the floor with a big price sign saying $299.99 even though the website (which I looked at earlier that same day) had the price at $379.99
I grabbed one but they had to override the system as it wanted to charge me the $379.99 price ... but they did the override and I got it for $299.99 but I noticed they took the price sign off of the remaining three on the floor lol

It is now Sunday early morning (12/11/2016) and the website has it listed at $299.99 now so go figure.

I haven't hooked it up yet and probably will not until later in the week as I have to order a high speed HDMI cord (I wasn't paying $39.99 for the Rocketfish 8 foot cord). I need the extra time to clean up my desk space anyway to pave room for this monster lol

Looking forward to having it all hooked up and running but while typing this I just paused to do some research on my current video card and it seems to have HDMI 1.4 but it does have Display Port 1.2 so I'm not sure what to do now lol
I am getting a Nvidia 1060 6GB graphics card but I will not have that until the very end of the month (possibly not 'til the first week of January). I know that has HDMI 2.0 out and should work for 4k@60 with Chroma 4:4:4

Any ideas though on how to hook the computer up to this Samsung in the meantime? Maybe just run it 1080p or 4k@30 or maybe just wait to hook it up until I get that 1060 card?

P.S.
Any comments on going with ATI RX 480 8GB vs the Nvidia 1060 6GB in relation to using it with this TV ?
Please note I'm really leaning towards the 1060 but I have the money to go with either one of these cards so I figured I would ask.

I was at BEST BUY last night (Saturaday, 12/10/2016) and they had 4 of these on the floor with a big price sign saying $299.99 even though the website (which I looked at earlier that same day) had the price at $379.99
I grabbed one but they had to override the system as it wanted to charge me the $379.99 price ... but they did the override and I got it for $299.99 but I noticed they took the price sign off of the remaining three on the floor lol

It is now Sunday early morning (12/11/2016) and the website has it listed at $299.99 now so go figure.

I haven't hooked it up yet and probably will not until later in the week as I have to order a high speed HDMI cord (I wasn't paying $39.99 for the Rocketfish 8 foot cord). I need the extra time to clean up my desk space anyway to pave room for this monster lol

Looking forward to having it all hooked up and running but while typing this I just paused to do some research on my current video card and it seems to have HDMI 1.4 but it does have Display Port 1.2 so I'm not sure what to do now lol
I am getting a Nvidia 1060 6GB graphics card but I will not have that until the very end of the month (possibly not 'til the first week of January). I know that has HDMI 2.0 out and should work for 4k@60 with Chroma 4:4:4

Any ideas though on how to hook the computer up to this Samsung in the meantime? Maybe just run it 1080p or 4k@30 or maybe just wait to hook it up until I get that 1060 card?

P.S.
Any comments on going with ATI RX 480 8GB vs the Nvidia 1060 6GB in relation to using it with this TV ?
Please note I'm really leaning towards the 1060 but I have the money to go with either one of these cards so I figured I would ask.

Personally, I find that AMD cards tend to look better out of the box without the need for constant tweaking to get it just right. The XFX GTR RX 480 8GB card will work well in my opinion.

Personally, I find that AMD cards tend to look better out of the box without the need for constant tweaking to get it just right. The XFX GTR RX 480 8GB card will work well in my opinion.

What is the "constant tweaking" to get a Nvidia card to look right?

Back