40" Samsung UN40KU6290 4K $290 at Best Buy (or $265 with $25/$200 Amex offer)

I get the line here too and they always go away as soon as I do the update. (I have updates set to manual).

I think TypeO may be onto something regarding the panel being cold and the lines. Seems to be when I get them the most.

I used mines yesterday after like a week and was welcomed by the blue lines...It did have an update which I did not do until this morning. Blue lines went up after few minutes once I started gaming and the TV heated up.

So...what I'm understanding is that this is a good movie to watch on this set:

5E8CC347-3C19-4DC7-95E4-3AF36C709095-9163-00000C0B89784AF3_tmp.jpg

I have this in my office for watching games and playing Xbox when we want to blow off steam and the price is right, but the motion handling on sports on TV is fucking awful. Maybe my settings aren't right or something. For Xbox it's fine.

Confirmed there are a ton of these at my local Costco for $290, at least 12 units stacked up, looks like Costco ordered a 2nd run. Great price, will consider getting a 2nd one for myself (wife is using one as her main PC screen now) with my February reward statement.

Just picked one up, at long last replacing my korean 27" Yamakasi of yesteryear. I've been fence sitting for years looking for "the next big thing" -- I've seen new panels and panel techs come and go - 144Hz GSync gaming monitors, the ultra-wide and curved stuff like the Dell U3415W, but nothing really grabbed me until now.

I'm dumbfounded how this is even real - that for $300 out the door I got this much additional screen real estate. I had pretty low expectations. I expected text to be blurry or some other glaring downside, but everything is perfect. It does need a few settings tweaks though to optimize for PC.

Now I want a second one.

1. Make sure you use HDMI 1 input
2. Set HDMI 1 input to PC. On Remote: Home > Up > HDMI 1 > Up > Edit > PC
3. enable "UHD Color" (in the TV settings menu: Picture > Expert Settings > HDMI UHD Color > HDMI1 > On)
4. Make sure video card is set to 60Hz. (most GPUs default to 30Hz for some reason)
5. Set 4:4:4 color output in your GPU settings (NVIDIA Control Panel, etc)
6. Scale text to a comfortable level (I like it at native - 100% - which means no scaling)

Last edited:
Just picked one up, at long last replacing my korean 27" Yamakasi of yesteryear. I've been fence sitting for years looking for "the next big thing" -- I've seen new panels and panel techs come and go - 144Hz GSync gaming monitors, the ultra-wide and curved stuff like the Dell U3415W, but nothing really grabbed me until now.

I'm dumbfounded how this is even real - that for $300 out the door I got this much additional screen real estate. I had pretty low expectations. I expected text to be blurry or some other glaring downside, but everything is perfect. It does need a few settings tweaks though to optimize for PC.

Now I want a second one.

1. Make sure you use HDMI 1 input
2. Set HDMI 1 input to PC. On Remote: Home > Up > HDMI 1 > Up > Edit > PC
3. enable "UHD Color" (in the TV settings menu: Picture > Expert Settings > HDMI UHD Color > HDMI1 > On)
4. Make sure video card is set to 60Hz. (most GPUs default to 30Hz for some reason)
5. Set 4:4:4 color output in your GPU settings (NVIDIA Control Panel, etc)
6. Scale text to a comfortable level (I like it at native - 100% - which means no scaling)
Yeah, for $290+tax its impressive as fk for 4K 4:4:4 + HDR. I can't believe there's ppl that are speaking negatively about it. Granted for me it will be a 2ndary productivity display to consolidate my 1+3 current set-up but I would keep my current G-sync 1440p main panel.
Wife has enjoyed hers immensely since Black Friday.

I kid with my wife I am gonna get one for myself too half-jokingly thinking I am going to get a "you already have too many tech toys" snarky remark in return, but she never says that, she just asks me what I am going to do with my old displays LOL. Great panel, amazing value.

I'd go pick one of these up, but I need something bigger than 40" (current TV is 47", rather not lose that much screen space).

Does Costco have other TVs on sale this week too?

I'd go pick one of these up, but I need something bigger than 40" (current TV is 47", rather not lose that much screen space).

Does Costco have other TVs on sale this week too?

Does it have to be Costco? Check the other Samsung thread that was posted. :)

Does it have to be Costco? Check the other Samsung thread that was posted. :)

Yeah, but five hundred is way more than I want to spend on a lark. If my current 1080p TV was dying, yeah, sure.

And buying 4k 55" for my HTPC would necessitate at least $250-$350 spent on a GPU upgrade. So now we're at 750-850 :(

I was just curious if they had something between 40 an 50" for around $350. It's not inconceivable.

I guess I'll wait till next Superbowl week to go deal-hunting.

Last edited:
Yeah, but five hundred is way more than I want to spend on a lark. If my current 1080p TV was dying, yeah, sure.

And buying 4k 55" for my HTPC would necessitate at least $250-$350 spent on a GPU upgrade. So now we're at 750-850 :(

I was just curious if they had something between 40 an 50" for around $350. It's not inconceivable.

I guess I'll wait till next Superbowl week to go deal-hunting.

Ah - roger that. Yeah, BF should yield some good deals but you never know what will pop up in the meantime. [H]appy [H]unting!

LMFAO

So last week, a kind and generous member here helped me purchase one of these from Costco. I figured that I'd wait until it came in, inspect it for damage and make sure that it was good to go, and then cancel my order with Samsung.

The TV from Costco arrived today, and this evening I got a notification from Samsung that that one has shipped. :rolleyes:

LMFAO

So last week, a kind and generous member here helped me purchase one of these from Costco. I figured that I'd wait until it came in, inspect it for damage and make sure that it was good to go, and then cancel my order with Samsung.

The TV from Costco arrived today, and this evening I got a notification from Samsung that that one has shipped. :rolleyes:
Sell me the one you don't want?

Just trying to help :)

LMFAO

Ha yeah I received an email today the normal weekly message saying it was out of stock then tonight received the tracking that it shipped last Friday... I don't think I am going to be buying direct from them again.

I just exchanged it, second one does the same thing, but its only in menus. I'm going to keep it because I like it as a monitor, its pretty sporadic on the other menus, the update menu shows it the most. I went to a different costco as well. The first tv had software version 1140, the second 1142 so I don't think they are the same batch of tvs.

Here's a video:

It seems to only be in menus that it will do that.

It is most likely a software problem, get it updated to the latest firmware, and don't expect much from the retailer or Samsung customer support in terms of any useful help.

My Samsung 40KU7000 started doing the blue lines thing when I tried to update the firmware through wifi (1142 to 1160). First the update just kept getting stuck at 3% and then auto-aborting. Error message said my wifi wasn't stable enough (well laa dee dah motherfucker). So I tried the USB update and the prompt said my TV was already at the latest version (bullshit). Next day, still at v1142, the dreaded blue lines started appearing. I turned off the wifi, 'cuz the internet said it could be causing interferance (wasn't), and "factory reset" the sob a couple of times. No good. Eventually after a couple of hours the blue lines started appearing all over the screen. I was like oh shit, this thing's dying, and suddenly the prompt appeared out of nowhere "Update is ready to be installed". What? No wifi, no attached USB, TWO factory resets, how in the...? Anyho, I proceded with the update and presto, screen goes dark for 5 seconds and hellooo 1160. It's been running flawlessly now for several days, but quite frankly that little bug did a handy job of wearing out the 4K@40"-on-the-desktop novelty. :/

Edit: OTOH at least the Samsungs aren't getting bricked like the Bravias in this article from Guru3D.

Last edited:
Went to the local Costco with a family friend last night to pick one up - sold out at that location, and the other one in our city.

However still available online at $289. Not a "monthly special" so it should continue to be available for this price for some time. We ordered one online with free ground shipping.

I had to drive 30+ mins in NJ to find a store that had them in stock. They were down to just a handful when I got there.

Went to the costco near my work. Not a one. I don't have a membership, was going to sign up once I found one.

Employees were extremely rude there. :| I see Costco.com has it on their site, but again, requires a membership. Do they allow you to look up via zip code? Or is that shipping only.

Went to the costco near my work. Not a one. I don't have a membership, was going to sign up once I found one.

Employees were extremely rude there. :| I see Costco.com has it on their site, but again, requires a membership. Do they allow you to look up via zip code? Or is that shipping only.

I went to one near me at work and they were out. I called member services at one near my home. They didn't have any but were kind enough to look up who did.

You don't see available quantity locally. But you see the member pricing they give you.

Mine has 30 units of them waiting for purchases! If i didn't carry a $4500 credit card balance I would go get one...we pay our balance off each month. Maybe I can grab one around the middle of the month.

However still available online at $289. Not a "monthly special" so it should continue to be available for this price for some time. We ordered one online with free ground shipping.
I see Costco.com has it on their site
Can anyone link me the page? I can't seem to find it on Costco's site, and don't want to purchase a membership if it's unavailable. We're talking the 40" KU6290, correct?

Can anyone link me the page? I can't seem to find it on Costco's site, and don't want to purchase a membership if it's unavailable. We're talking the 40" KU6290, correct?

They are no longer in stock on website and they removed the listing. Was there yesterday, because I was thinking of buying a second one.

They are no longer in stock on website and they removed the listing. Was there yesterday, because I was thinking of buying a second one.
Wow… and just as I was getting to buying some. I suppose I could still try and call the store.

I may have one going up for sale here in the bay area soon if anyone is interested. $350 local pickup (basically covers my cost+taxes).

I just got one from the Duncanville Costco, but yeah, they were sold out in the DFW Metroplex everywhere else.

It looks the same but the difference is that the 6300 is consider a smart remote because it has voice control.
In that case, there may be 3 different remotes. I say this because the one the 6290 usually comes with is a giant black old-fashioned remote and looks nothing like the one from the KU6300.

In that case, there may be 3 different remotes. I say this because the one the 6290 usually comes with is a giant black old-fashioned remote and looks nothing like the one from the KU6300.

Where have you ever seen a 6290 come with an old fashion remote? I've seen four of these TVs purchased from three different places and they all came with the small remote (that is the same size as the 6300 remote). The only time I've seen mention of them coming with an old school remote was people online who didn't have the TV talking about it.

Last edited:

Like this?

I figured they'd have to cut corners to hit this price point but geez

Back