40" Samsung UN40KU6290 4K $290 at Best Buy (or $265 with $25/$200 Amex offer)

Anyone using this TV as a monitor getting upgrade-itis for the curved 43" UN43KU7500 ? :D

Would be a definite downgrade. I had a 6290 for 2 weeks before the BJs deal for the KU7500. Sold the 6290, got the 7500 and havent looked back. Better colors, size and the curve when used as a PC monitor really is immersive.

Edit: I may have misread that. It is a definite upgrade from the 6290 to the 7500 curved.

Last edited:
I see no reason to change to another panel yet. The 43" UN43KU7500 is a nice panel, I would have probably went that route if I were buying now. Having owned the 6290 for almost a year now it still does what I want it to after calibration. Gaming is fine if you put in game mode, otherwise input lag is rather noticeable.

Still kinda waiting for the HDR battle to settle so a standard gets set in place.

I hear TCL is supposed to be putting out a 50" 4K set that does "proper" HDR for $500 later this year. If the reviews are okay and the input lag isn't too bad I'll probably pick one up and sell my 40" 6290.

Anyone using this TV as a monitor getting upgrade-itis for the curved 43" UN43KU7500 ? :D

Not in the least. I bought a 6290 for $300 and am amazed at the value/dollar spent. Moved from a 27" and will never go back ...

My 43KU7500 arrives today and I'll be able to compare to the 40KU6290 I got for my wife around Black Friday for $290. While I'm pretty sure its not worth upgrading if you already have the KU6290, I was kicking myself for months that I didn't get a 2nd or 3rd one or one for every room since it was a steal at $290, so the KU7500 while more expensive, also seems to be a nice upgrade which made it worth it for me.

My 43KU7500 arrives today and I'll be able to compare to the 40KU6290 I got for my wife around Black Friday for $290. While I'm pretty sure its not worth upgrading if you already have the KU6290, I was kicking myself for months that I didn't get a 2nd or 3rd one or one for every room since it was a steal at $290, so the KU7500 while more expensive, also seems to be a nice upgrade which made it worth it for me.

Ive had both, definitely wouldnt go back to the 6290. Someone who just has the 6290 and never sees the 7500 would be happy though as it is an excellent monitor IMO.

Ive had both, definitely wouldnt go back to the 6290. Someone who just has the 6290 and never sees the 7500 would be happy though as it is an excellent monitor IMO.

Good to hear. I'll be getting my 7500 Thursday, but I need to find a new GPU to put in my PC that supports 4K. Would like to get a 1060 or 480/580 for $200 or less if possible. There's a EVGA 1060 SSC for $200 in FS/FT right now.. might jump on that soon before someone else does. I plan on running my games at 1080p still on this TV an hoping it still looks good.

Good to hear. I'll be getting my 7500 Thursday, but I need to find a new GPU to put in my PC that supports 4K. Would like to get a 1060 or 480/580 for $200 or less if possible. There's a EVGA 1060 SSC for $200 in FS/FT right now.. might jump on that soon before someone else does. I plan on running my games at 1080p still on this TV an hoping it still looks good.

I have the 6290 with an EVGA 1060 SSC Gaming (6GB) and works great. I don't game as I don't have time but have let the kids play some stuff from my steam library and haven't had any issues.

While I'm on the subject...anyone experience any "no signal source" on bootup? I know it's not the cable. If I let it go, the pc will reboot and all come back fine. Bizarre.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
I was just thinking about my personal monitor purchases over the last dozen years. In 2005 I spent $300 on a 17" 4x3 monitor and used that until 2010 when I purchased a $200 27" Asus. That monitor still works and was just replaced with this unit. 17" to 27" to 40" ... how much larger can you go and still call it a "monitor"?

I remember hitting the Auction sites online for mass liquidation sales of defunct businesses, buying massive (@ the time) 17"-20" NEC CRTs for practically nothing, praying it didn't have a company logo burned into the screen.. it was always a crap shoot, but payed off SOOOOO many times... :)

I have the 6290 with an EVGA 1060 SSC Gaming (6GB) and works great. I don't game as I don't have time but have let the kids play some stuff from my steam library and haven't had any issues.

While I'm on the subject...anyone experience any "no signal source" on bootup? I know it's not the cable. If I let it go, the pc will reboot and all come back fine. Bizarre.

If you're talking about the POST screens, that's because it doesn't support the resolution that is outputted during that sequence (640x480 I think is still the standard). If you need to get into your BIOS you'll need to plug in another monitor.

Reactions: TypeO
like this
If you're talking about the POST screens, that's because it doesn't support the resolution that is outputted during that sequence (640x480 I think is still the standard). If you need to get into your BIOS you'll need to plug in another monitor.

I'll check it when I get home but it doesn't happen everytime. It's about 50% of the time. Sometimes it boots just like it should. And it ALWAYS boot correctly when it decides to reboot itself.

I'll check it when I get home but it doesn't happen everytime. It's about 50% of the time. Sometimes it boots just like it should. And it ALWAYS boot correctly when it decides to reboot itself.

That sounds more like an issue with the PC than it does with the TV. I would hook up a second monitor to it so I could watch it POST so I could see what's going on when that happens. Most likely it's booting into a recovery menu or something like that for some reason and it's timing out and rebooting normally after that. Then hopefully you can see what's causing it and go from there.

That sounds more like an issue with the PC than it does with the TV. I would hook up a second monitor to it so I could watch it POST so I could see what's going on when that happens. Most likely it's booting into a recovery menu or something like that for some reason and it's timing out and rebooting normally after that. Then hopefully you can see what's causing it and go from there.

I have no issues with bios display with this screen. It supports lower resolutions just fine.

Might be a handshake issue.. i experiance an issue getting the tv to show an imagine sometimes.. and i have to remove the monitor cable from the vga card and reinsert it.. then it will come on.. sometimes it takes a few time before i see a picture.

Turning the tv on first before the pc i have no issue.

A lot of 2016 sets are getting sold on the cheap. I just scooped up a Sony 43X800D from BestBuy for $400. The deals are out there atm.

this tv has been one huge pain in the D anyone else experiencing intermediate blackscreens with sound and the hud is still visible?

this tv has been one huge pain in the D anyone else experiencing intermediate blackscreens with sound and the hud is still visible?

Had that with my JS9000. Try a different HDMI cable.

^but this is through the cable connection... just chatted with sammy support and got the new 1180 firmware for this model.

^but this is through the cable connection... just chatted with sammy support and got the new 1180 firmware for this model.

Ah OK, when you mentioned the hud I thought you were experiencing it when gaming. :)

Good to know. That firmware just came out recently too. I will make sure I'm up to date as soon as I get this TV plugged in.

Back