40 Percent Now Say They Won't Buy Another Samsung Phone

I've come to the personal conclusion that 1440 is a gimmick on a smartphone. Sucks up battery life and puts needless strain on the SoC while producing a barely visible better image unless you're the type that stares intently looking for the subtle differences.

This of course is a matter of personal opinion.

Well, ain't that just shit. Buy them out, then close it down ... are we ever going to get some innovation instead of more rectangular touch--screen blobs. The LG Gxyz I saw a while ago was semi-modular but so far no one has actually moved too far away from the metal/plastic+touchscreen some kinda square design.

It's the updates that are the problem! The phone and apps worked great the first year or so; but then, as the iOS grows, the size of the apps grow, the new updated version of the apps require the newer version of the iOS, and the phone doesn't have enough processor power or memory to work. So the apps stop working. Of course, the old versions of the apps aren't available anymore through apples's app store, so people are screwed. The only way is to disable the updates. But they don't know that until it's too late. a 3GS which would still work great with the iOS and apps it had four years ago, won't work with all the 'updated' firmware and software. Sure, you can make calls and texts. But lots of the other stuff won't work anymore. Once you have the 'updated' version of the app, the old one is gone. If the updated version doesn't work you're out of luck.

Yes, but when you get burned, and follow that advice, and get burned again, you tend to feel like an idiot for buying the same brand that screwed you before. Think: used car lot sells you a vehicle that blows it's transmission 2 days after the 30 day lemon law runs out. Would you go back there and lay down another $15000 just because it's been in business 10 years and has no BBB complaints from others?

My 5+ year old Galaxy Nexus has the latest version of android (several versions past official supported) and still runs all apps without issue. Perhaps the problem isn't the updates, but buying phones that are intentionally locked down? The only thing newer phones have that mine doesn't are higher resolution on the screen which does nothing except suck battery life and better camera's which I don't give a damn about because it is still a cellphone camera.

I will get another note next year. im just smart enough not to buy a product when they are first released. I do not want to be the beta tester who paid to be the beta tester...

... so far no one has actually moved too far away from the metal/plastic+touchscreen some kinda square design.

Well there's your chance, come up with a really awesome concept device, spend time laying it all out, hire some designers and engineers to do R&D for maybe 2-3 years solid, rent out a fab plant someplace in southeast Asia, pay the workers in the fab plants barely enough to survive, then hire some big marketing firm to shove it down the eye sockets, ear canals, and throats of consumers until they simply can't see, hear, or taste anything else but your reality changing smartphone. :)

Perhaps the problem isn't the updates, but buying phones that are intentionally locked down?
Nah, the 3GS only has 256 memory. As the iOS grows, and the apps grow, they exceed the ability of the phone to run them. And when they 'update' automatically, and you lose the original apps, there's no way to go back to what used to work. All you get is a message that the app needs a newer iOS to run, and the phone can't do it. I did manage to turn all the updates off, so some of what I have left on the phone still works. But I don't dare update it, knowing that apple knows about this problem and actually wants their old hardware to fail. I also have a gen 1 ipad; used it for video playlists. Then apple deleted the capability of that version ipad to play lists of videos! It was working fine; then they 'upgraded' it and removed that capability. I had to purchase a separate app to play my video playlists. But I then turned off all the updates on that device as well. Shame on apple for doing those things to it's customers.

Nah, the 3GS only has 256 memory. As the iOS grows, and the apps grow, they exceed the ability of the phone to run them. And when they 'update' automatically, and you lose the original apps, there's no way to go back to what used to work. All you get is a message that the app needs a newer iOS to run, and the phone can't do it. I did manage to turn all the updates off, so some of what I have left on the phone still works. But I don't dare update it, knowing that apple knows about this problem and actually wants their old hardware to fail. I also have a gen 1 ipad; used it for video playlists. Then apple deleted the capability of that version ipad to play lists of videos! It was working fine; then they 'upgraded' it and removed that capability. I had to purchase a separate app to play my video playlists. But I then turned off all the updates on that device as well. Shame on apple for doing those things to it's customers.

That is sort of my point. Newer androids are guilty of the same thing, but your problem is you have a phone that is locked down and controlled. I have the same memory limitations on an older phone but it isn't an issue because I have the freedom to install a smaller version of the OS update to fit my phone.

I've come to the personal conclusion that 1440 is a gimmick on a smartphone. Sucks up battery life and puts needless strain on the SoC while producing a barely visible better image unless you're the type that stares intently looking for the subtle differences.

This of course is a matter of personal opinion.

Ditto. I've had 1080p and 1440p phones and actually thought my 1080p LCD Asus Zenfone 2 looked better than my 1440p OLED Droid Turbo.

IMHO, even on my 2013 7" Nexus 7, 1080p great.

I feel like people who harp on high DPI are really falling for placebo effect, just like Audiophiles who spend thousands of dollars on audio equipment that sounds the same as cheaper stuff.

I'm not an Apple fan at all. But the truth about most Android phones is that they are just trashy iPhone knockoffs for poors and irrational Apple haters with little attention to detail or quality control. The battery issue on the Note 7 doesn't surprise me at all.

I also have owned a couple Samsungs the last was a Note2 which was a very nice phone. But I decided to try the Moto Droid Turbo and although it isn't a terrible phone, I'm going back to Samsung cause the UI is just more intuitive, Moto did shit backwards. I don't even consider Apple at all. But everyone has their likes. Of course the crappy antenna issue didn't surprise me at all.

Ditto. I've had 1080p and 1440p phones and actually thought my 1080p LCD Asus Zenfone 2 looked better than my 1440p OLED Droid Turbo.

IMHO, even on my 2013 7" Nexus 7, 1080p great.

I feel like people who harp on high DPI are really falling for placebo effect, just like Audiophiles who spend thousands of dollars on audio equipment that sounds the same as cheaper stuff.

I haven't been happy with my camera in my Droid Turbo either. It was much higher spec wise than my old Note 2 which actually took much better pictures.

> 40 Percent Now Say They Won't Buy Another Samsung Phone

In other news, 99 percent have no idea of what they actually do after what they claimed that they would do.

That is sort of my point. Newer androids are guilty of the same thing, but your problem is you have a phone that is locked down and controlled. I have the same memory limitations on an older phone but it isn't an issue because I have the freedom to install a smaller version of the OS update to fit my phone.
I know, I jailbroke it and unlocked it, and run cydia. I could go further, but I really don't want to waste a lot of time on it anymore as my moto x does what I want. I use the old iphone as a ipod, a remote and music server for my stereo, my alarm clock, etc.. I keep it on a pay as you go $10 a quarter plan as a back up in case the moto x dies or can't connect (each on different sets of towers). I know if I want to hunt for it, there are ways to put an older iOS on it as well as track down old versions of the apps. Plus, I wanted something with a larger screen anyway. It just annoyed me that a company does that to it's customers. I mean, my 20 year old computers work fine. but because of the automatic 'updating', a 5 year old phone, won't.

While I'm not an Apple lover, I did decide to upgrade my phone from the HTC 10 to the iPhone 7 Plus for a few reasons:

1: T-Mobile decided to stop selling it which to me means it's near it's EoL on the carriers list of phones getting updates.

2: I'm honestly tired of Google's stalkerish behavior even after disabling the recording options it's still pulling up things in advertisements and searches that I literally just talked about with coworkers/friends.

3: Prices for Android flagships are up there with the iPhone prices, and while yes more feature packed also come with more bloat (carrier/manufacterer) and most features I never found myself using or ever have I come across the need for a lot of the features in Android. Plus, the only real way to get the true performance from your phone is by rooting and installing a custom ROM which in most cases voids the warranty.. I think thats just foul play right there.

4: While yes I can unlock my HTC 10, but since I got it through my carrier I'm stuck with the carrier warranty which means unlocking the bootloader voids the warranty. With Android phones (outside of Google phones and bought straight from manufacturer phones) being at the mercy of carriers when it comes to updates and only other viable option for updates is to void the warranty.. Yeeeah no thanks. Not when my phone costs upwards of $650+.

I know this is long winded but truthfully Samsung is the worst offender when you think of companies trying to copycat Apple.

The only real problem with Samsung is they make fantastic hardware but overload it with bloatware and double apps as well as Touchwiz which all take their toll on performance and turn around and sell their phones for the same price as a baseline iPhone Plus which Apple is phenomenal for fluid performance and while yes you get the option for a micro SD to me it's just not a solid trade-off.

When talking about planned obsolescence just look at Samsung.. The S5 barely got lollipop, same as the Note 4.. I don't know about the S4 and Note 3.. But most Android manufacturers, especially Samsung will throttle support on an older device to push you to buy newer.. I remember seeing the S6 not getting lollipop until around 3 months after the S7 came out. Geez, if the iPhone 4s is still getting updates and it was released in 2011, and while yes those updates slow your phone down at least it's still getting the updates. Why can't the open source Android OS get updates on a regular basis, especially those ones that cost almost as much as an iPhone?

I want to get the best overall performance from my phone, and when rooting it is the only real way to do so and with Samsung pretty much clamping down on unlockable bootloaders essentially forcing you to use the phone their way to me screams "Apple move" and I've come to a realization that if I'm going to pay that much for a great phone littered with bloat and junk I don't even use I might as well just simplify everything by getting an iPhone. After playing with the 7 Plus it seems to be a very nice phone and I won't have all the bloat to worry about.

I'm not rich by any means and have to pay my phones off through the monthly bill, so with that train of thought flagship Android phones are getting up there in price with all the negatives of Google's practices, carrier practices, manufacturer practices, and the fact that Android enthusiasts are getting worse than so called 'i-sheep' it's time to set sail away from Android land.

For the record I still own (fully paid for) an S7 Edge, and Note 4, and am still using my HTC 10 to type this up (I will miss this phone) so I'm not devoid of Android altogether, just feel that with Apples history of supporting devices, and performance it's the best option as my daily driver.

My note4 aND all 5 of my galaxy s5 all received mashmellow update all from diff carriers.. one being sprint two verizon one lg+ (Korean phone) and att. Just gave away nexus 6 and saw it say Droid 7 update available. Jealous because daily phones are now note4 and galaxy s7 and they haven't got the update (maybe s7 will have when return to states (in Cambodia now). Pleased with all the phones except no memory card slot on nexus 6 so was easy to give away. Just don't see how I could live with out 200gb or at least 128gb u3 SD card in each phone with a spare to switch for ez backup.

Back