40 Percent Now Say They Won't Buy Another Samsung Phone

Typing this on a 230$ galaxy s7 Verizon with small Crack on back (stupid glass back but bought it like that so no worries) I won't spend more than 400 on a phone. Not because I can't afford but because I don't want to break or lose it. I will definitely buy more galaxy phones. I own currently 2 galaxys2, have given 7 galaxy s5 as gifts over past 2 years, own a note 4 and now s7. Note 7 was my dream but as I said never going pay 1000 for a phone and contracts are for suckers. Only part of phone I care about is the camera and reliability. LG g5 looked great but u see so oooo many problems. I must have dropped s5 and note 4s 100x and never cracked a single phone. I will buy galaxy in future but prefer used lower price than brand new untested tech... removable batteries are awesome. My note 4 has 5 batteries and externally charge them and change them. Who wants a bulky case or wire sticking out of your phone.. not me !!! The s7 seems to last me most the day and plan give this phone away and purchase used s8 as soon as someone has one with tiny Crack they can not live with (like I said 400$ limit unless it's got a projector or hover board features) :p

All Samsung products are all pure shit.

After having a Samsung TV die after 4 years. Then I had Samsung 32" 850T monitor, it died after 3 months, had to get a warranty repair.
Then I had two Samsung Android phones that lasted about 1 yr each before they died.

I have boycotted all Samsung products, I will NEVER purchase another Samsung product as long as I'm still on this earth.

After having a Samsung TV die after 4 years. Then I had Samsung 32" 850T monitor, it died after 3 months, had to get a warranty repair.
Then I had two Samsung Android phones that lasted about 1 yr each before they died.

I have boycotted all Samsung products, I will NEVER purchase another Samsung product as long as I'm still on this earth.

This is pretty much the expectation of consumer electronics. Many things don't last as much as we want them too, and there are always manufacturing problems. This is why there is customer service.

Even despite your rough luck, you have 4 data points. This is not even remotely enough to say your statement. But I see the same thing when someone buys (insert car brand) and has a bad one, they never buy that brand again because that is how consumers function. I myself after owning 3 samsung phones, 1 tablet, several hard drives with no issues, would say samsung makes the best products on earth because of my small sampling of their products. :)

Every company tend to encounter design issues every once in awhile, be it exploding batteries, cracked solders, malfunctioning airbags, etc. Granted, not all of them have as widespread of an impact as the Note 7, but it happens.

I personally don't practice such boycott just because of one major issue. Otherwise I'll eventually run out of choices. What I do is simply avoid being early adopters. I tend to get something after it's been out in the market for a couple months at least.

I'm not sure what's more hilarious: you making your position known or the fact that you just kept going back for more punishment. What's that definition of insanity again, anyone? :D

Have had the same experience with Samdung products. Most notably there LCD tv's and phones. Once a upon a time Samsung products quality was pretty decent to good. Then they moved away there TV manufacturing plant from Malaysia to China and the reliability of there TV's are pure dog shit. Expect them to fail either 6-7 months upon purchase or just 1 month after the 1 year warranty is up. There is a reason why Samdung TV's are very cheap because they are poorly designed cheap plastic pieces of crap.

Apart from the early Galaxy S, the S2, S3, S4, S5 are pure garbage in terms of quality when compared to other competing brands similar or less in price. The S6 Edge quality was ok but a bit on the heavy side. Don't even get me started on there TouchWiz UI bloatware over default android AOSP.

Toyota's recalls killed people, yet they are still the #1 car manufacturer in the world.

Samsung isn't going to notice this next year.

The Toyota unintended acceleration fiasco is hardly an appropriate comparison. Time and time again this was proven to be a witch hunt, and Toyota was held liable for idiots who had stacked floor mats that then covered the gas pedal. Even worse is that these idiots didn't throw the car in neutral.

The Toyota unintended acceleration fiasco is hardly an appropriate comparison. Time and time again this was proven to be a witch hunt, and Toyota was held liable for idiots who had stacked floor mats that then covered the gas pedal. Even worse is that these idiots didn't throw the car in neutral.
Or turn the key to kill the engine

Public perception is hardly the same as the truth; I understand that.

My point was they had massive amounts of publicity, yet it didn't affect sales. This won't matter for Samsung either.

My point was they had massive amounts of publicity, yet it didn't affect sales. This won't matter for Samsung either.

Certain type of people buy Toyotas. They're more concerned about being low key than anything else - even if it kills them.

My wife's 4S is still going strong, and still gets updates. Damn that planned obsolescence!!!
It's the updates that are the problem! The phone and apps worked great the first year or so; but then, as the iOS grows, the size of the apps grow, the new updated version of the apps require the newer version of the iOS, and the phone doesn't have enough processor power or memory to work. So the apps stop working. Of course, the old versions of the apps aren't available anymore through apples's app store, so people are screwed. The only way is to disable the updates. But they don't know that until it's too late. a 3GS which would still work great with the iOS and apps it had four years ago, won't work with all the 'updated' firmware and software. Sure, you can make calls and texts. But lots of the other stuff won't work anymore. Once you have the 'updated' version of the app, the old one is gone. If the updated version doesn't work you're out of luck.
I personally don't practice such boycott just because of one major issue.
Yes, but when you get burned, and follow that advice, and get burned again, you tend to feel like an idiot for buying the same brand that screwed you before. Think: used car lot sells you a vehicle that blows it's transmission 2 days after the 30 day lemon law runs out. Would you go back there and lay down another $15000 just because it's been in business 10 years and has no BBB complaints from others?

Last edited:

Same with these phones. As far as I can tell, out of a few million phones, there are only 35 instances of the first run phones catching fire and 5 of the recall replacements. Certainly enough to do a recall, and halt production, but hardly the forest fire people are painting it as. I considered keeping mine anyway.

After being a Galaxy S and Note fan I ditched Samsung when they'd mislead people that Lollipop was coming to the Note 2.
I'd more or less decided that Samsung was no more an option when they took away the option to change/expand the battery and to have SD card storage - they've back tracked on SD storage and external USB backup battery packs are small enough now to fit in a pocket.
But. it's difficult for me to take seriously an electronics company that releases and rereleases dangerously faulty products - if they'd stuck with the Note 7 and properly fixed it, then I'd be interested again - I need to to go back to a Note sized screen - really starting to struggle with small detail on my Sony Xperia Z3 :)
Has the Note name actually been struck off?

While I'm not an Apple lover, I did decide to upgrade my phone from the HTC 10 to the iPhone 7 Plus for a few reasons:

1: T-Mobile decided to stop selling it which to me means it's near it's EoL on the carriers list of phones getting updates.

2: I'm honestly tired of Google's stalkerish behavior even after disabling the recording options it's still pulling up things in advertisements and searches that I literally just talked about with coworkers/friends.

3: Prices for Android flagships are up there with the iPhone prices, and while yes more feature packed also come with more bloat (carrier/manufacterer) and most features I never found myself using or ever have I come across the need for a lot of the features in Android. Plus, the only real way to get the true performance from your phone is by rooting and installing a custom ROM which in most cases voids the warranty.. I think thats just foul play right there.

4: While yes I can unlock my HTC 10, but since I got it through my carrier I'm stuck with the carrier warranty which means unlocking the bootloader voids the warranty. With Android phones (outside of Google phones and bought straight from manufacturer phones) being at the mercy of carriers when it comes to updates and only other viable option for updates is to void the warranty.. Yeeeah no thanks. Not when my phone costs upwards of $650+.

I know this is long winded but truthfully Samsung is the worst offender when you think of companies trying to copycat Apple.

The only real problem with Samsung is they make fantastic hardware but overload it with bloatware and double apps as well as Touchwiz which all take their toll on performance and turn around and sell their phones for the same price as a baseline iPhone Plus which Apple is phenomenal for fluid performance and while yes you get the option for a micro SD to me it's just not a solid trade-off.

When talking about planned obsolescence just look at Samsung.. The S5 barely got lollipop, same as the Note 4.. I don't know about the S4 and Note 3.. But most Android manufacturers, especially Samsung will throttle support on an older device to push you to buy newer.. I remember seeing the S6 not getting lollipop until around 3 months after the S7 came out. Geez, if the iPhone 4s is still getting updates and it was released in 2011, and while yes those updates slow your phone down at least it's still getting the updates. Why can't the open source Android OS get updates on a regular basis, especially those ones that cost almost as much as an iPhone?

I want to get the best overall performance from my phone, and when rooting it is the only real way to do so and with Samsung pretty much clamping down on unlockable bootloaders essentially forcing you to use the phone their way to me screams "Apple move" and I've come to a realization that if I'm going to pay that much for a great phone littered with bloat and junk I don't even use I might as well just simplify everything by getting an iPhone. After playing with the 7 Plus it seems to be a very nice phone and I won't have all the bloat to worry about.

I'm not rich by any means and have to pay my phones off through the monthly bill, so with that train of thought flagship Android phones are getting up there in price with all the negatives of Google's practices, carrier practices, manufacturer practices, and the fact that Android enthusiasts are getting worse than so called 'i-sheep' it's time to set sail away from Android land.

For the record I still own (fully paid for) an S7 Edge, and Note 4, and am still using my HTC 10 to type this up (I will miss this phone) so I'm not devoid of Android altogether, just feel that with Apples history of supporting devices, and performance it's the best option as my daily driver.

Most people will settle for whatever upgrade their carrier allows.

For me, the only thing Android phone besides "more than good enough specs" does better than iPhone is watching offline videos and I don't even need to pay $200 for that. Hence, Samsung or any other premium Android peddler is already completely off my radar.

This was literally disproven in court. Deal with it fan fucker.

I'm not an Apple fan at all. But the truth about most Android phones is that they are just trashy iPhone knockoffs for poors and irrational Apple haters with little attention to detail or quality control. The battery issue on the Note 7 doesn't surprise me at all.

I won't buy another Samsung phone, and it has absolutely nothing to do with the battery issue.

Battery faults happen, and sooner or later it will happen to all smartphone OEM's.

The reason I won't touch another Samsung phone? The combination of TouchWiz and increasingly difficult/impossible bootloader to unlock.

They make some of the best phone hardware available on the market, and then gimp it with TouchWiz. If they made a version of their flagship phones with vanilla-like Android, that were easily rootable/unlockable I'd stand in line for one.

Never buy a new model of ANY electronic device when it first comes out. Wait for the reviews, and wait longer to see if any problems develop.

I had a S3, and now have a Note 4. Bought the Note 4 after the disappointing S6 & Note 5 came out (non removable battery and no SD slot). Save a few hundred $ over the Note 5 since it was last years model. The Note 4 is a great phone and I plan on using it for at least a couple more years.

Also bought a Samsung tablet last month.
Was looking as some of the cheaper/generic tablets, but found major issues with all of them. Settled for a Samsung Tab A on sale at Costco. Great tablet, Wife loves it (y)

I'm not an Apple fan at all. But the truth about most Android phones is that they are just trashy iPhone knockoffs for poors and irrational Apple haters with little attention to detail or quality control. The battery issue on the Note 7 doesn't surprise me at all.

Guess that's why Apple has been copying features from Android phones the past few years. It would be funny if the next iPhone copied Samsung's exploding battery :ROFLMAO:

That's funny, most of the top end android handsets are as expensive if not more expensive than the iPhone at this point. So how exactly does that make it for the "poors" as you so delicately put it?
he means they end up pirating games.

Ya, nothing like the hissing noise from the iPhone 7. Or the LTE connection issues. Or the home button breaking. Yep, great quality control there. Should we all make a list of the common issues ppl have with each iPhone generation?

You're stupid if you think Apple's products are any better.

I also believe that it is all temporary and most of them will go back it in a few months period. But, if anything bad doesn't happen again!

I don't know. I have about 16 Samsung SSD's, I've had one Samsung phone (Galaxy S3) currently have one Samsung TV I use as a monitor and one Samsung sound bar they threw in free with the purchase of the TV.

My Galaxy S3 did die, but when it did it was already old enough (2+ years) that I was thinking about its replacement anyway.

Other than that, I haven't had a single issue.

I feel like you may have had some bad luck with the brand, but that one person's experience is not necessarily reflective of a company as a whole.

The 950/950XL are pretty decent phones as long as the apps you want/need are available in Win.

LG G4. Just as good at 1/3 the price, and less issues than any of the Galaxies I've ever had.

The 950/950XL are pretty decent phones as long as the apps you want/need are available in Win.

yeah, I just shattered my 1520 and downgraded in size to the 950 last week as AT&T doesn't have a lot of choices for windows phones. 950 or 640XL. Which of the two only the 950 is comparable in specs and is the only one of the two which has windows 10. Still need a dock to use continuum to its fullest instead of goofing around using my desktop as the screen to project the tablet mode over to.

Going back to I phone and ditching Android devices.pos have a Motorola phone and there junk. They can cram these phones up there asses.

Considering the iPhone7 is still rocking a 1080p screen on what's supposed to be a premium phone at premium prices I don't see how that could be accurate.

I wish my HTC 10 used a 1080p screen for better battery life. I notice no difference in sharpness at the 5" size with 1080p vs 1440p.

I gave up Samsung when they updated my phone and added Knox to my S4. Damn app destroyed the battery life and there wasn't anything to do about it without rooting. They can keep their locked down BS.

I do like their hardware specs though, the S3 was pretty amazing for it's time.

modernwarfareboycott.jpg

I don't know. I have about 16 Samsung SSD's, I've had one Samsung phone (Galaxy S3) currently have one Samsung TV I use as a monitor and one Samsung sound bar they threw in free with the purchase of the TV.

My Galaxy S3 did die, but when it did it was already old enough (2+ years) that I was thinking about its replacement anyway.

Other than that, I haven't had a single issue.

I feel like you may have had some bad luck with the brand, but that one person's experience is not necessarily reflective of a company as a whole.

I have a Samsung 50" tv. Remote no longer works. It's not the remote either, it's the receiver portion on the tv. Have a Samsung 28" monitor. Power button works/doesn't work. Sometimes I have to fiddle with it for like 5 mins to get it to finally work. I had the original Galaxy S. GPS never worked in it.

I'm not buying them anymore at all. I'm at the point where Sony, while more expensive than pretty much any other brand, it simply works for a long time. Never had issues with my Playstation and my Xperia Z2 has had no problems since I got it like 3 years ago. Still works great. I wanted to get a new phone, but the company I have a contract through doesn't have any Sony phones. Just iPhone or Samsung. I don't want either.

I wish my HTC 10 used a 1080p screen for better battery life. I notice no difference in sharpness at the 5" size with 1080p vs 1440p.
On a 5 inch screen sure. On an almost 5.6 inch screen no. That's phablet territory and all of them except apple have 1440p screens.

Last edited:

Here I have a samsung gas oven (love it), S7 (improvement over my old S4, but all smartphones are the same imo), a galaxy tab (older but its a great bed netflix/porn device), and two samsung TV's.

Back