40 Percent Now Say They Won't Buy Another Samsung Phone

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Welp. It sounds like a good number of customers don’t intend to forgive Samsung and will be moving on to other brands. The good news is that more Janes and Joes may finally experience non-bastardized versions of Android, such as on the Pixel.

Branding Brand, the world’s leading mobile e-commerce platform, conducted its second survey of 1,000 Samsung smartphone owners from October 11-12 to compare consumer confidence to its earlier study, conducted on September 23. The survey also measured increasing interest in the other phone brands, including the new Google Pixel. 30% of current Samsung smartphone consumers say they’ve only ever owned that brand of phone. Of those switching from Samsung smartphones: 8% will buy a Google Pixel (new since original survey). 30% will switch to iPhone (down from 34%). 62% will go with another Android phone (up from 57%).

LG G5 good alternative. Better camera(s), expandable storage, hot swappable battery, fast processor. I miss the AMOLED screens from Samsung and battery life was better, but G5 pretty nice.

Owned an S3, a Note 3, 4, and now 5. I'm among those who'll look elsewhere. Not because of the fires, as I was going to look elsewhere even before that due to the high price (much higher than ever before), the locked bootloader, and the lack of a removable battery. The fires didn't help, however.

The Pixel XL is an option, but that non-removable battery... and wanting a 5.7 incher. Damn shame the V20 is locked down.

I'm not an Apple fan at all. But the truth about most Android phones is that they are just trashy iPhone knockoffs for poors and irrational Apple haters with little attention to detail or quality control. The battery issue on the Note 7 doesn't surprise me at all.

The Pixel XL is an option, but that non-removable battery... and wanting a 5.7 incher. Damn shame the V20 is locked down.
I still don't see why people care about a removable battery. I have a LG G2 from 2013 and the battery is still going strong. Also if you are a heavy user, just get an external battery pack.

Eh I'd buy another Samsung phone, but then again I don't buy flagship products, no way I could drop $600+ on a PHONE.

Reactions: n3zyd
like this
Its always possible they will make some nice new low price deal to keep people buying their phones. Might just be the time to upgrade when they do that.

Can you use Samsung pay on other Android phones? If so I'd switch to a Pixel down the line. Currently enjoying my S7 Edge.

Just bought a J5 for $120... didn't seem like the newer phones were much better (at least, not for my needs, I don't do gaming on phones)

maybe will buy a used s7 in a few years for a couple hundred bucks...

Yes, I will buy.
The problem will be getting the flight craw and TSA to tell the difference between models.

I've owned Android phones. They are garbage.

When, back in the stone age? All I've owned have been at least good and some great.

Built my first PC in 1986 and every one since. A PC was (and is) chosen over Mac for the same reasons power users choose Android: Customization. AOL users could never understand this.

When, back in the stone age? All I've owned have been at least good and some great.

Built my first PC in 1986 and every one since. A PC was (and is) chosen over Mac for the same reasons power users choose Android: Customization. AOL users could never understand this.

That guy is just trolling for bites.

I'm not an Apple fan at all. But the truth about most Android phones is that they are just trashy iPhone knockoffs for poors and irrational Apple haters with little attention to detail or quality control. The battery issue on the Note 7 doesn't surprise me at all.

I still don't see why people care about a removable battery. I have a LG G2 from 2013 and the battery is still going strong. Also if you are a heavy user, just get an external battery pack.

when the battery goes bad it is nice to have a cheap fix. I know people that have bought new phones only because of the battery. If your battery is still going strong you are lucky. Most have lost 20% or more of their life by that point. Also in a case like this if the issue is just the battery it would be easier to replace the battery than the entire phone.

Owned an S3, a Note 3, 4, and now 5. I'm among those who'll look elsewhere. Not because of the fires, as I was going to look elsewhere even before that due to the high price (much higher than ever before), the locked bootloader, and the lack of a removable battery. The fires didn't help, however.

i would not count on the v20 being hardlocked. Lg is actually surprisingly easy to unlock, I've had LOTS of them and they are usually unlocked within the first week or two, give it time.

Maybe htc can make a comeback with blackberry? Hello? Anyone?.......

Damn..... Lol.

I was thinking the other day HTC could make a comeback in a roundabout way manufacturing phones for other companies, say if the Google Pixel is a resounding success, they could go on to make a Amazon phone or Facebook phone etc. They certainly aren't strong enough to go it along like Samsung, LG or Motorola.

My wife's 4S is still going strong, and still gets updates. Damn that planned obsolescence!!!

The 4 body style is actually really easy to change the battery on as well. People complain about the iPhones not being long lasting, but compared to other unibody type phones the iphones pre-iPhone 7 have historically been fairly easy to change the battery on due to the construction. The iPhone 7 has ruined that though because it's become a glued together mess that once opened is difficult to seal again. This is why I hate the trend of 'water resistant' phones. It's just a side-effect of choosing to use glue to seal the phone together, versus a couple of screws.

Well you might be sad to know that 'weather-sealed' for cameras is basically pieces of rubber in strategic locations lmao.
Or maybe you already knew that.

Well you might be sad to know that 'weather-sealed' for cameras is basically pieces of rubber in strategic locations lmao.
Or maybe you already knew that.

Cool, and the sky is blue. Bet you already knew that.

I use a Samsung S7 as my personal phone and a S6Edge Plus as my office phone. Was just about to upgrade to a Note 7 when the shit hit the fan. If a Samsung 8 Edge Plus comes out, I'll definitely take a look at it. Shit happens. Sometimes some junk gets through QC. Does it suck? Yeah. But like any other disaster, the very next model after the fact, will be the most scrutinized (and safe) piece of hardware ever.

LG G5 good alternative. Better camera(s), expandable storage, hot swappable battery, fast processor. I miss the AMOLED screens from Samsung and battery life was better, but G5 pretty nice.

Lot less expensive than Samdung as well with lot more features to boot.

That's funny, most of the top end android handsets are as expensive if not more expensive than the iPhone at this point. So how exactly does that make it for the "poors" as you so delicately put it?

The phone I'm actually hoping makes it to market is that puzzle phone that was shown a while back. It came as a bunch of different modules. I think Google ended up buying the company but I don't think it ever went anywhere.

I think the Note line might be dead. It's a shame because I like the stylus and think my Note 5 was the best of the phablet bunch at the time. (Still is damn close...)

I also own a Nexus 5X on Project Fi, which is a nice little phone, but it's a shame Google is ditching the competitive pricing for their exclusive android brands. It makes less sense to buy their phones outright now even if Fi is a good cheap plan.

I was in that 40% before it was cool. I had a Samsung G2 around 2011 or so, and absolutely hated their Android reskin and how slow the overall phone was. Couldn't chuck it fast enough when it was time to upgrade.

In not willing to say that I'll never buy another Samsung phone ever but I will say that I'm not going to replace my Note 7 with another Samsung phone...

I'll keep using my Note 5 until the Pixel XL releases. I have a pre-order but I'll likely be waiting past launch day to get it in since I only put my order in last Sunday. Should give me a chance to double check the hands on reviews prior to pulling the trigger.

Next best option to me would be iPhone 7 Plus but i'd rather stuck with Android based on personal preference and a couple apps I can't get on iOS.

Most will forget all about it and get whatever they think is cool come contract renewal time. This sort of thing is not likely to stick. Especially with Samsung making some of the best phones on the market.
As long as they don't dick it up, I plan to get a Note 8 whenever it comes out. I use the stylus, do not much care for phones without them.
Listen up Samsung, the reason I have a Note 4 right now instead of a Note 5 is the SD card slot, don't forget to include it in the Note 8. I would prefer a removable battery as well, but no SD card slot is no sale. Which is why I basically do not even consider Nexus/Pixel and iphones.

I returned my Note 7 to the local ATT store today after the new battery, and sim adapter, for my Note 4 showed up in the mail. It will make another year easy.

Back