$40-60 headphone/earphones to bum/withstand transits

veritas7

Gawd
Hey all,

I'm looking for something decent that can handle the abuse of daily transit. I.E. taking the bus or rail, throwing them in a backpack, and/or listening to them at wherever I am studying. I need something that will take the punishment and still last and sound decent.

I'm betting then that earphones are the best bet because they have less components that will get damaged over time by putting them in/out my backpack with other books/notebooks/etc.

I'm looking for something in the 40-60 dollar range, give or take a few.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I'm willing to spend a lot more on some earphones if they have a lifetime warranty/literally unbreakable and sound great.

Koss KSC-75 earclips, $25 or less, nothing can touch 'em.

Koss PortaPros, KTX-1, or Radio Shack Pro-35A (same drivers across all of 'em, including the KSC-75's I just mentioned), $40 or less.

Koss products have a lifetime no questions asked warranty so... if ya break 'em, it doesn't matter, they'll replace 'em.

ksc-75 are too fragile in the clip area. if you get those, get some extra clips. koss will provide them for the price of postage usually.

sportapros are the toughest of the koss imo.

No one really has any suggestions for earphones? Are decent earphones only the ones in the $100-200 range?

How much torture can they withstand? Does any of the companies have a lifetime warrenty like Koss does, where if I stress it too much that I can get a new pair if it stops working?

How do you mean earphones? Supra-aural/portable headphones? IEMs/earbuds? Or do you have no preference as to type so long as it's reasonably portable?

I'm not too keen on anything other than headphones. And I'm not an audiophile (so I'm not too knowledgable) but I definitely notice difference in audio quality (headphones, encoding)

Edit: I guess I'm talking about IEMs (just had to look up what that was).

Thanks for the replies.

I think I nailed it down to either the JVC HA-FX66 or the Shure E2c-n. I'm leaning towards the Shure's at the moment because... well, they're Shures :p not too knowledgeable in this area, like I said.

With those two, you don't have price parity...one is cheap, the other is better SQ. I would still check out the Head-Direct stuff...Yuins, RE2s, etc...but the Shure E2c-n should do you well enough if you want those.

I'll add my vote for the Yuin's linked above. Excellent traditional earbud. Simple, inexpensive, and easy to carry around and stow when you are not using them.

IEM's are awesome, but the really good ones cost quite a bit and you are always cleaning earwax out of them or obsessively cleaning your ears as a preventative measure.

Get the earbuds and let your ear canals be as filthy as you want.;)

I'd still rather use RE2s with one of the less-penetrating tips it comes with. Buds don't isolate for crap, which means ambient noise (a) is annoyingly loud and (b) interferes with the music. If you need to still hear somewhat, maybe buds...but no headphone is going to let you hear well if only because of the differing proximity of sources.

I would not use KSC75's in study areas since they are open

I would look into something like the Sennheiser CX series or entry level canalphones

Back