40" 4k TV at walmart for 169.99

One reviewer mentions using it as a PC Monitor, so it's possible that when the input is set to the description of PC that the monitor will output 4:4:4 chroma, which is a must for PC usage.

Always check if RTings has reviewed a TV.
If I was spending >$500 it would be worth investigating, but at this price range. meh
My dad had a saying, "Either buy the cheapest or the best * " , the Avera falls into the cheapest category.

* The best is seldom the most expensive.

Got a $25 gift card from work for christmas.

$154 out of my pockets, can't complain about that.

I just bought a 4k Hisense 55" TV for black friday at 248.00 and so far so good. If it wasn't because I really have no use for it, I would buy it. If the TV last 1 year it would be cost effective and I am the cheapest bastard you would know.

I feel like buying electronics from Walmart is like trusting a hooker from Thailand.

They have an excellent return policy though. The last time i returned a tv they just took the box back and didnt even look in it.

You may have to wait in the customer service line with the normal walmart degens though.

I remember paying around 700 bucks in 2009 for my Samsung 40" LCD 1080p 120hz, at the time it was a helluva price since they were going around 1200 bucks and even then and it being one of the high end Samsungs I thought... WOW, how shitty the built in speakers are in these new smart TVs... luckily for me I purchase a set of Senheiser wireless headsets so I don't need a sound bar and your parents (and their neighbors) will thank you. I cringed when I go visit my parents and I could hear the TV from 25 meters away, UGH! :meh:

@ JIm Kim... I only need 1 TV and I already got it but thank you for the link, it may help some other people. Seriously though, if it lasts 1 year, divide 365 by 250.00 and you still will come out winning the lottery :D

I do respect Rtings, but some of their calibration settings/recommendations are crap.

The way they recommended my JU6500 Samsung and my K8000 to be displayed is just way too dark for my taste, and judder is more noticeable.

A "professional" opinion is still an opinion.

Great deal.... Would I use this for my main tv? No, but to future proof my kids tv? hell yeah.

Thanks OP. Too bad it's sold out already.

Mine just arrived (ordered 12/16, yeah Christmas rush). The Avera 40EQX20 is what I would expect for this price range. Now for the unboxing: Sturdy/ stapled cardboard box with two quality shipping straps, FedEx did not beat it to death;). Plenty of foam padding on the corners with additional added blocks on the Long sides (top/bottom)
Now the lengthy review: The picture looks fine and the speakers are lame (but it does not matter since I will never use them).
I plugged my Roku into one of the four HDMI slot and it worked like a champ.
The tv is not "smart", which is a big plus in my book. The menu voice can be turned off in the settings, and i did just that.
I'm kinda liking the auto contrast feature, will have to experiment with it 'on or off'.
One of the settings under HDMI is "Video" or "Graphics", I am assuming Video is the dreaded "motion smoothing" and Graphics is the "full goomba".
Ownership time 1 hour, so far so good.
About the author;
I am not a video or audio phile.

thanks op

EDIT #1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-...f=cm_cr_arp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B01FRQGO9M
^this review (probably a must read for using this as a monitor) has the "code" to get into the Service Menu. Not sure if I should say danger danger or squee.

Edit #2
I had no idea what Chroma 4:4:4 vs 4:2:2 vs 4:2:0 was nor why 4:4:4 was needed for a pc.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/chroma-subsampling

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back