40" 4k TV at walmart for 169.99

Discussion in '[H]ot|DEALS' started by ccwilder3, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Sherloc09

Sherloc09 Limp Gawd

One reviewer mentions using it as a PC Monitor, so it's possible that when the input is set to the description of PC that the monitor will output 4:4:4 chroma, which is a must for PC usage.

2. CombatChrisNC

CombatChrisNC [H]ard|Gawd

Always check if RTings has reviewed a TV.

Krenum and maclem8223 like this.
  3. ccwilder3

ccwilder3 n00b

Have they reviewed this one?

4. Jim Kim

Jim Kim 2[H]4U

If I was spending >$500 it would be worth investigating, but at this price range. meh
    My dad had a saying, "Either buy the cheapest or the best * " , the Avera falls into the cheapest category.

* The best is seldom the most expensive.

Adidas4275 likes this.
  5. A15G

A15G [H]ardness Supreme

Got a $25 gift card from work for christmas.

$154 out of my pockets, can't complain about that.

Adidas4275 likes this.
  6. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

Indeed. I recently bought a Vizio P-55-F1 because of their rating/review. I was looking at the TCL 5 series but saw way too many problems with their panels.

7. OpenSource

OpenSource Gawd

Is Avera a new cheap brand? I don't think I've seen this brand yet

8. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

Avera is a CEC brand that has been around since the early '00s. They are owned by the Chinese government, so...

9. Jim Kim

Jim Kim 2[H]4U

10. motolube

motolube Gawd

I just bought a 4k Hisense 55" TV for black friday at 248.00 and so far so good. If it wasn't because I really have no use for it, I would buy it. If the TV last 1 year it would be cost effective and I am the cheapest bastard you would know.

11. Westwood Arrakis

Westwood Arrakis Gawd

I feel like buying electronics from Walmart is like trusting a hooker from Thailand.

Puterguru likes this.
  12. ssnyder28

ssnyder28 2[H]4U

They have an excellent return policy though. The last time i returned a tv they just took the box back and didnt even look in it.

You may have to wait in the customer service line with the normal walmart degens though.

13. motolube

motolube Gawd

hahahahahaha... Good one! :ROFLMAO:

14. Jim Kim

Jim Kim 2[H]4U

15. Bosom

Bosom [H]ard|Gawd

16. motolube

motolube Gawd

I remember paying around 700 bucks in 2009 for my Samsung 40" LCD 1080p 120hz, at the time it was a helluva price since they were going around 1200 bucks and even then and it being one of the high end Samsungs I thought... WOW, how shitty the built in speakers are in these new smart TVs... luckily for me I purchase a set of Senheiser wireless headsets so I don't need a sound bar and your parents (and their neighbors) will thank you. I cringed when I go visit my parents and I could hear the TV from 25 meters away, UGH! :meh:

@ JIm Kim... I only need 1 TV and I already got it but thank you for the link, it may help some other people. Seriously though, if it lasts 1 year, divide 365 by 250.00 and you still will come out winning the lottery :D

17. Eshelmen

Eshelmen [H]ardness Supreme

I do respect Rtings, but some of their calibration settings/recommendations are crap.

The way they recommended my JU6500 Samsung and my K8000 to be displayed is just way too dark for my taste, and judder is more noticeable.

A "professional" opinion is still an opinion.

Great deal.... Would I use this for my main tv? No, but to future proof my kids tv? hell yeah.

Thanks OP. Too bad it's sold out already.

18. Jim Kim

Jim Kim 2[H]4U

Mine just arrived (ordered 12/16, yeah Christmas rush). The Avera 40EQX20 is what I would expect for this price range. Now for the unboxing: Sturdy/ stapled cardboard box with two quality shipping straps, FedEx did not beat it to death;). Plenty of foam padding on the corners with additional added blocks on the Long sides (top/bottom)
    Now the lengthy review: The picture looks fine and the speakers are lame (but it does not matter since I will never use them).
    I plugged my Roku into one of the four HDMI slot and it worked like a champ.
    The tv is not "smart", which is a big plus in my book. The menu voice can be turned off in the settings, and i did just that.
    I'm kinda liking the auto contrast feature, will have to experiment with it 'on or off'.
    One of the settings under HDMI is "Video" or "Graphics", I am assuming Video is the dreaded "motion smoothing" and Graphics is the "full goomba".
    Ownership time 1 hour, so far so good.
    About the author;
    I am not a video or audio phile.

thanks op

EDIT #1
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-...f=cm_cr_arp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B01FRQGO9M
    ^this review (probably a must read for using this as a monitor) has the "code" to get into the Service Menu. Not sure if I should say danger danger or squee.

Edit #2
    I had no idea what Chroma 4:4:4 vs 4:2:2 vs 4:2:0 was nor why 4:4:4 was needed for a pc.
    https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/chroma-subsampling

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    Viper16 likes this.