Lamanak

n00b
Philips BDM4037UW and Samsung UN40KU6500 (UE40KU6100) seem to be a good choice for a large curved (3000R) 4K PC monitor. Unfortunately KU6500 (KU6300 in non-curved version) uses PWM backlight dimming, though BDM4037UW has some dramatic pixel response time issues.

Which do you consider better one for general use as PC monitor?

From what I could find:

Pros of Samsung UN40KU6500
- higher contrast, brightness, better black uniformity and probably generally better picture
- better pixel responsiveness?

Pros of Philips BDM4037UW
- lower input lag
- flicker free
- tilt

Please tell me your opinion, which one would you choose.
Regards

Last edited:
I have a UN49KU6500 and can tell you that the PWM hurts my eyes, especially when playing Rock Band. It does have the best input lag I've experienced with a LCD television to date, though. Contrast ratio is decent, and I haven't noticed any black crush after calibrating the picture. Don't know about pixel response as I have yet to run the UFO test on it. Other than that, the fit and finish of the TV itself feels much higher quality than any Philips display I've ever used.

Aside from the smearing issues, though, the BDM4037UW looks like a good choice. It also has the advantage of being made as a PC monitor while the Samsung is still a television.

I must be incredibly lucky because I've been using Samsung TVs as PC monitors for about two years and never have had PWM issues hurting my eyes. I haven't tried that Philips monitor, so can't offer any comments. You might look at Sony TVs before making a decision. I think they don't use PWM. Not sure about that, though.

I must be incredibly lucky because I've been using Samsung TVs as PC monitors for about two years and never have had PWM issues hurting my eyes. I haven't tried that Philips monitor, so can't offer any comments. You might look at Sony TVs before making a decision. I think they don't use PWM. Not sure about that, though.

My JU6700 bothered me but my KS8500 doesn't.

Last edited:
The PWM gets better as the series increases - Samdung 6000 > 7000 > 8000 etc. I've owned quite a few. The JU7500 I have now is barely tolerable, the JU6500 wasn't. It also ghosted somethin ridiculous. Rtings reviews might help your decisions too.

The PWM gets better as the series increases - Samdung 6000 > 7000 > 8000 etc. I've owned quite a few. The JU7500 I have now is barely tolerable, the JU6500 wasn't. It also ghosted somethin ridiculous. Rtings reviews might help your decisions too.

Pretty much this. There is a world of difference between my JU6700 and my KS8500's image quality.

Thanks for your answers!

I have a UN49KU6500 and can tell you that the PWM hurts my eyes, especially when playing Rock Band.
Could you tell me at what Backlight level you use it?

I also experienced some eye fatigue after a few days with this TV when I had a chance to test it, but perhaps it's because it's very big as a pc monitor and generally very bright, although it's just a guess..

You might look at Sony TVs before making a decision. I think they don't use PWM. Not sure about that, though.

Are there any curved 4k models?

There's a very interesting video on YT about flickering relation to backlight level in Samsung TV:

Last edited:
I have a 2 yr. model Philip BDM4035UC, every once in a while, when it turns on, there is some garbage on the screen, and I have to wait a few second before I can see the screen.

For those who owns the new philip, did they fix this?

Back