40" 1080P Toshiba 40FT1U LCD TV $399 + tax @ BestBuy Friday/Saturday Nov 12-13 only

Fantastic price!

Unfortunately I'm not in the TV game anymore! :(

Would be all over this if I hadn't recently picked up a 32" for a little over $200. Very good deal for 1080P!

How is this compared to the 299$ (plus 10$ gift card, 40" Westinghouse 1080P) deal for Black Friday @ Target? Specs wise looks the same to me, any difference in quality?

-Xzi

This tv is also for sale on Amazon at the same price with free shipping.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
exactly how good are toshibas? better than Vizio? My brother had his old 42" Vizio stolen in a break-in and I've been looking for a new TV for him that is of comparable quality. I know I looked at them a few years ago and they weren't supposed to be great by any means and I know Vizio is pretty darned good, especially considering their price.

It's still set as 'Coming Soon'....been this way since at least 10:15p last night...is it ever going to be 'available'?? lol.

There's also this one over at the Egg for about $430 shipped with code EMCZZZN23.

I dunno...should I wait for BlackFriday? I want in on the Target deal (Westinghouse 40" @ $298) but dunno if I'd make it or not...

It's still set as 'Coming Soon'....been this way since at least 10:15p last night...is it ever going to be 'available'?? lol.

it is available, you just have to look a little harder on the page.

i have it in cart but i am not BLOWN AWAY.

still pretty good. but i promise prices are going to get better!

There's also this one over at the Egg for about $430 shipped with code EMCZZZN23.

I dunno...should I wait for BlackFriday? I want in on the Target deal (Westinghouse 40" @ $298) but dunno if I'd make it or not...

Savings per set is about the same (~300$) , specs look about same and features aswell. With tax at target you will be looking to get the Westinghouse around ~330$ out the door. I would probably grab the deal on the egg if I were looking for one 'right now', since I hate to wait in line when winter is on the verge and would not have to worry about the hassle of trying to get it home from Target. But, if you like to wait in line to save an extra $100 bucks go for it.. just comes down to tolerance and budget. The Egg deal is an amazing deal. (today)

These are the same model Toshiba that blow out after a year. Forget it.

No. TV's are never good for a primary gaming monitor. Why do people continually think that somehow 1080p provides a "good" gaming experience? 1080p is low resolution in this day and age, and you add the fact that the pixels are so far apart, trying to play a game on a TV is a ludicrous proposition. The only people who think it's a good experience are those that have never used a real computer monitor.

This doesn't even address the fact that you'll burn out your retinas on brightness sitting so close to a TV and not a computer monitor.

I am fine with 1080 as all I run is a 4890 on an E7200 at 3333. I am going to a QX6850 shortly. The issue is pixel pitch and clarity at normative screen to eye distance? My current setup is two 23" Acer TN's that I sit 3ft from. I am basically looking for more screen size for watching video and playing co-op FPS (I am not a super twitch player, just entertainment). This would still be a bad choice?

He is asking Inaba because some TV SUCK while others are not that bad. Lots of TVs are going to better then some bad desktop monitors as well. I am also keeping an eye out for a possible desktop monitor replacement.

No. TV's are never good for a primary gaming monitor. Why do people continually think that somehow 1080p provides a "good" gaming experience? 1080p is low resolution in this day and age, and you add the fact that the pixels are so far apart, trying to play a game on a TV is a ludicrous proposition. The only people who think it's a good experience are those that have never used a real computer monitor.

This doesn't even address the fact that you'll burn out your retinas on brightness sitting so close to a TV and not a computer monitor.

See.. that last part defeats your whole argument. Some of us actually have a wall about 3-4 feet away from our faces, and to have a 32" 1080p would be perfect for games and internet browsing. Of course if someone is 2 feet away, they would be stupid for getting a 40". I guess... "The only people who think it is a bad experience are those that have never gamed from the couch on a 55" LCD"

...and how is 1080p LOW resolution for this day and age? Are you one of these elitist trolls who claim anything lower than 2560x1600 is worthless? Give me a break. Pretty much any computer monitor, up to 28" is either 1920x1080 or 1920x1200. The ONLY option for higher res is the 30" monitors.. which are STILL over 1000$. So please don't tell me you are making the argument that a 1000$ 30" is better than a 32" or 40" for 400$.. There are obviously going to be people that need a good price, for a large screen, mainly for the reason that they are either A) 3 or more feet away, or B) also use it as a TV for their bedroom or things of that nature. If I am sitting from a distance, your 30" 2560x1600 is compltely unreadable.

My 55" Samsung is hooked up to my HTPC. I not only watch blurays through my htpc, but I also browse the internet, do work, and play all the newest games so for people like me, there is no other option.

Man I wish people would realize that the world doesn't revolve around them..

Toshiba is a top tier brand along with Sony, Sharp, Samsung, LG, Panasonic. Most would consider Vizio either a top tier, or between a 1st and 2nd tier brand, maybe just a perception thing.

Westinghouse was always a second tier brand, and lately they've nearly slipped to third tier.

I would not purchase a Westinghouse if there's a top tier brand around the same price..

Some of your points become moot once a person sits further than 3ft away. Besides, at this cheap price one can purchase it as a "secondary" monitor, i have my doubts about it performing well as a "main gaming monitor" but what do i know ;).

Console gaming should be a blast on it however.

1920x1080P is a well supported gaming resolution to boot.

This surprisingly insightful Newegg review reveals some interesting info:
Pros: I am a tv technician with decades of experience and a Toshiba Master Service Center. EVERY MANUFACTURER on the market has the same exact problem.

Before i go on however, how in the world have you 3 that have put negative posts say you have had these sets break down on you after the year if they were released early this year and would still be underwarranty?

Regardless there is no other manufacturer in the market that offers the Quality of customer service and technical support to its servicers than Toshiba.

I have lost count of how often Toshiba will cover part or All of the repair costs after the warranty expires. NO OTHER MANUFACTURER DOES THAT. trust me i would know... I personally own these models and they are fantastic.

The majority of Service Centers throughout the United States are a bunch of 1980's technicians that can't keep up with the technology and are mainly what we call BUTCHERS as that is what they do to the majority of these tv's they get their hands on.

Cons: none.

Take it from an Experienced Field Technician Toshiba will not only give you the best bang for your buck they will give you reliable service.

In the event that you should pay out of pocket not only will the parts be available, but they will be very reasonably priced.

A toshiba main board that has all the features will cost you betwen 170-280... compare that to samsung 400+ sharp 500+ sony 350-450+... you see where im going with this?

Keep in mind alot of the highly hyped up brands samsung sharp sony phillips... they don't even have parts instock when the tv is within the year.. and they breakdown alot more then toshiba and guess what you HAVE TO WAIT...

Toshiba will atleast replace the set if the parts are in backorder and the set has not been repaired within 45 days... NO ONE ELSE DOES THAT... this is inside information
i hope you decided to read all this and soak it up :p

Other Thoughts: It's obvious you have the previous series of lcd's from last year and not these models and i know these sets inside out all of them. With every series they release they are completely different. That Bad panel you have there only requires the Ballast which is $60-140 depending on the model. Only an Idiot Servicer would tell you $1000+ which in the unlikely case you do need the screen, for a 40" at servicer prices is only $600.00.

Not to say that is still alot of money but not as drastic as $1000.00 at this momment its not worth investing that money as you can just buy another exactly like it. But in cases such as that toshiba is very Flexible and they do
tend to bend in the favor of their customers. You people should not go around spreading nonsense about products you DO NOT OWN.

No other manufacturer has the high stock of parts low price and reliable service and warranty as Toshiba. Samsung is a PR machine it has NEVER been good. read the reviews on the net.. they are 100x wo
Some of those newegg reviewers are commenting on different model TV's.

Last edited:
I have had a couple Toshibas and a few Samsungs. Generally a current Toshiba is = to a last gen Samsung of the same catagory, which there is nothing wrong with that at all. There are 4 teirs of TVs, starting with the low end crap, then brands like Vizio, Westinghouse, Viewsonic. Tier 2 is where Toshiba, Panasonic, Mitsubishi, Pioneer are, and tier 1 is for Samsung and Sony, and the very top end models from the tier two group.

One thing I do want to point out is this is not from Toshiba's REGZA line, it is their most basic 1080P set at this size. Hence the price. It still is however a pretty darn good set, just wont hold a candle to a current Sony or Samsung. If you are on a budget then this would be a great all around TV.

Toshiba also has really low input lag (generally, not 100% sure on this set), however ghosting is somewhat noticable when going from white to black (at least it is on my RV530U).

I'll never buy anything branded Toshiba again. Been burned too many times.

I have had a couple Toshibas and a few Samsungs. Generally a current Toshiba is = to a last gen Samsung of the same catagory, which there is nothing wrong with that at all. There are 4 teirs of TVs, starting with the low end crap, then brands like Vizio, Westinghouse, Viewsonic. Tier 2 is where Toshiba, Panasonic, Mitsubishi, Pioneer are, and tier 1 is for Samsung and Sony, and the very top end models from the tier two group.

One thing I do want to point out is this is not from Toshiba's REGZA line, it is their most basic 1080P set at this size. Hence the price. It still is however a pretty darn good set, just wont hold a candle to a current Sony or Samsung. If you are on a budget then this would be a great all around TV.

Toshiba also has really low input lag (generally, not 100% sure on this set), however ghosting is somewhat noticable when going from white to black (at least it is on my RV530U).

I have to laugh at you calling Panasonic and Pioneer as tier 2 brands under Samsung and Sony, I guess marketing really works on you huh? Pioneer hasn't actually been selling TVs for a while now, but the Kuro models are still selling for OVER retail if you can actually find one to buy, and are still considered to be among the finest tvs ever made.

Getting back to the actual topic, I brought one of these Tosiba 40FT1U models home tonight, its a fantastic bargain for a no-frills TV. I still don't get the need for all the built-in internet browsing and streaming crap, and I'm not a fan of 120Hz processing. I think the picture quality on this Toshiba is excellent, even compared to my main set, a 54" Panasonic plasma. I can't believe it was so inexpensive.

Panasonic and Pioneer are not second tier... are you kidding me? The Kuro is still considered to be the top tv built for homes and they stopped selling them in 2009. No brand has touched the quality or black levels they hit. Panasonic Pioneer > Sony any day when it comes to tvs.

@ the guy that just said 1080p ( 1920 x 1080 ) was low rez gaming "in this day and age" is beyond delusional. The only thing I can think of why he would say that is, young age, new to PC gaming.

Panasonic and Pioneer are not second tier... are you kidding me? The Kuro is still considered to be the top tv built for homes and they stopped selling them in 2009. No brand has touched the quality or black levels they hit. Panasonic Pioneer > Sony any day when it comes to tvs.

He did state that the upper end models of tier 2 makers are tier 1
and the very top end models from the tier two group.

He did state that the upper end models of tier 2 makers are tier 1

Thank you.

Also, Panasonic and Pioneer make great Plasmas, I was strickly speaking of LCDs.
Panasonic makes good LCDs using IPS panels, but ONLY up to 42in. And their black levels arent as good as Samsung and Sonys, and the color accuracy is good but not great.

If you take the top end or even second to top end from any of the tier 2 groups, they would match most in tier 1. But their entry and mid level stuff isnt as good as the entry and mid level Samsungs and Sonys.

I agree with the counter arguments above. 1080p is NOT low resolution.

Back