4 sticks still 2T with 939 Opterons?

Axman

VP of Extreme Liberty
Tried to make the title as precise and adequate as possible there, but here are my deeper concerns made explicit:

I feel it's about time to go to two gigs of RAM. While I can very easily buy a two gig kit and hang on to my Mushkin Black for an HTPC down the road, another pair of the stuff is pretty cheap right now, and it's really very fast. With four sticks in an nForce 4 SLI motherboard with an Opteron's revision E (it's E, right?) memory controller, do they still eat a bad command rate dick?

They'll automatically boot to 2T with 4 sticks. But you can go into the BIOS and force 1T without problems.

freeloader1969 said:
They'll automatically boot to 2T with 4 sticks. But you can go into the BIOS and force 1T without problems.

are you sure about that? I think the mem controller is the same as the X2 cpus which would make it not very fun to put in 4 sticks

freeloader1969 said:

doesn't the actual motherboard and memory come into consideration?

just because you could do it doesn't mean that everyone else will

Yeah I'm at 2T. I don't have a fancy board, but even then you won't get far.

Digital Viper-X- said:
are you sure about that? I think the mem controller is the same as the X2 cpus which would make it not very fun to put in 4 sticks

I was running 4 gb of mushkin at 1T and 250FSB

freeloader1969 said:
I can manually force 1T with 4x512mb sticks on my NF41 at stock speeds. Opteron [email protected].

HA. I can't even boot w/4 sticks if I don't set 2T in the BIOS first.

Don't worry about the performance hit. From what I've read, the loss in going from 1T to 2T is ~2-3%. No biggie.

Can setting 1T hurt your RAM? I have two 512 sticks that default to 2T, and I want to set them to 1T but I don't want to hurt anything. Just got a 939 so I'm a n00b to this T thing.

So i'm also upgrading to 2gigs and trying to decide between 4x512 or 2x1024

is it really worth it to sell my current xms 2x512 and buy 2x1024, i dont mind running 2t but would like my overclock to remain stable 11x219, its the Venice core so i believe its been improved to handle 4x512

any suggestion? btw this is my first post here YAR!! :eek: :D welcome me!

specs
3500 venice core @11x219 (XP-90 w/PanaFlo)
2x512 CorsairXMS 2.5 3 3 8 @219mhz
Nforce3 chipset (latest driver)
Surepower 400watt modular PSU

Heres with the regulars 4X512 Gskill GH and Redline4000 combos @1T..SP1 not 100% tweaked....

screenshot0172rg.jpg

RegisteredToPost said:
what is the benifit from running 1T?

slighty better bandwith but thats about it

as to running it with 4 ram sticks
it seems to be hit or miss with the Dual core CPUs

12 Axes said:
Yeah I'm at 2T. I don't have a fancy board, but even then you won't get far.

I used to be able to do 1T with 4 sticks of OCZ Performance ram in my ECS KN1 Extreme and a X2 4400+.

When I sold the CPU and ram to a buddy he couldn't get the same stuff to run 1T in his Epox board.

Back